• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Buying a new laptop....please help me!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Buying a new laptop....please help me!

I would look at a Windows based machine, powered by Intel.
    There is much more software on the market at normally cheaper prices.
    Hard drives are really scarce at the moment due to flooding in Taiwan so I expect prices of machines to increase soon, hard drive prices have almost doubled for some models - this has to appear in machine prices soon.
    Do you have room for a desktop rather than laptop?
    When I build machines I can replace most components for customers for less than £50 at the end of their warranty period in a desktop machine
    For a laptop the picture changes dramatically, a replacement motherboard for a laptop will cost £2-250 plus fitting, whilst I do no condone extended warranty's it sure makes them attractive on laptops, expect to pay £40-50 I pay less at trade.
    The biggest problem with laptops comes from the packaging, it is very difficult to cool them, when used on your knee the breathing of the machine is often compromised casusing higher thermal stress on the components.
    I recommend you consider carefully what you want from the machine and what you envisage the working life to be. Make your choice of machine based on your needs.
    There is an argument for treating the machine as disposable so if you spend £300 on a machine then replace it 3 years later it may present better value than paying £600 but replacing it after 6 years as the performance of a new machine will outweigh the performance of a dated machine. Technology advances sure as night follows day, Windows 8 is on it's way.

Comment

Just to throw my tuppence worth into the pot, I've always found it's worth checking out Staples. Not every time, but on a few occaisons they've been quite a bit cheaper than PC World/Currys/Comet etc.

Comment

My final opinion on this having looked at your needs is that you do not need a particularly powerful machine.

Download speeds for movies are to do with your internet connection, not the power of your computer. Letters are a piece of cake, and Open Office is now not only better than MS Office, but free to download (I use both). DVD's will plal as long as you have a DVD drive - if you write DVD's or CD's it's often cheaper to buy an external USB DVD drive of decent quality if the one on your machine is not brilliant. Also if your DVD player allows for blueray, nothing special is needed.

Therefore it seems to me you have the task of looking at machines that meet your requirements (will definitely be between £300-400), picking a reliable make and I would try to build the recommended extended warranty into the price bracket you have set yourself.

Reading the threads here, many have recommended Acer. I have HP/Compaq which has never caused any problems at all.

Install good internet security package (that doesn't mean expensive, it means good!), install CCleaner from piriform and run it regularly and you should be able to do what you want quite happily.

Like cars, there's always the built on a Friday afternoon syndrome, so there's always the odd rogue one whatever you go for - just hope you're not one of the unlucky very few who get a duff machine.

Good luck with your purchase.

Comment

Hi leclerc

Saw this

http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/hukd-...otions-1068742

& thought of you!

('Black Friday' deals - Comet & Currys/PC World are included!)
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

And I saw this and wondered if it was any good to you ?

Acer 5253 Laptop (AMD E350, 4GB, 750GB, 15.6" Display) Black - Tesco.Direct

Comment

http://www.bitterwallet.com/best-buy...21+Mailhttp://

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

I'm after clothing now cos I bought a toshiba pro intel i3 processor and 4GB ram.......I also know how to increase the RAM on the laptop as well see the above link btw post 13 which gives an instruction manual. One day I hope to be able to construct a laptop from scratch
                "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Well done you - I hope you're really pleased with it!:beagle:

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                    One day I hope to be able to construct a laptop from scratch
                    Ever the wind - up merchant.

Gertcha....!!!

Comment

I'm after clothing now cos I bought a toshiba pro intel i3 processor and 4GB ram.......I also know how to increase the RAM on the laptop as well see the above link btw post 13 which gives an instruction manual. One day I hope to be able to construct a laptop from scratch
                      Where do you buy this 'scratch' from? - seems you can make virtually anything with it!
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Scratches'r'us is where you get it from, it's a new outlet which are part or the babies'r'us stores......
                        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Scratches'r'us is where you get it from, it's a new outlet which are part or the babies'r'us stores......
                          Is it near the flea market?

(Shall I get my coat?, lol)
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Damn you, sir.
                            I have an itch - but NOW I dare not scratch it !!!

Purely Humanitarian motives...you don't want any more like me, I assume.

I'll meet you in the cloakroom, then, Chaz.

O'Malley's, next then, is it ?

Good sir.

Fellow @$$01e !!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X