• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Electoral Register

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electoral Register

Can anyone tell me if it is a lawful requirement to join the electoral register?
    I have recieved forms in the past to notify them of all persons over 18 who live at our address but have just ignored them. I recived another form a few days ago with a letter saying if I did not provide them with the information, I would be liable to a fine of up to £1000.
    I always thought it was voluntary to join the register, the only thing you would lose is the right to vote.
    Tags: None

Re: Electoral Register

believe it or not

it is a legal requirement to go onto the electoral register

but

i have never known anybody be prosecuted for it

i pay council tax but have not been on the electoral register since 1997

Comment

It is also important to note that while it is a legal requirement to be on the ER, you can opt out of being on the version that is sold on to DCA's etc... at the end of each year.

Comment

yes, but the credit reference agency still get the original, who will be quite happy to pass on all details

experian now collate phone numbers, including employment, and pass to any scumbag dca for a price

Comment

Originally posted by keithposty View Post
          yes, but the credit reference agency still get the original, who will be quite happy to pass on all details

experian now collate phone numbers, including employment, and pass to any scumbag dca for a price
          Keithposty

If you have proof of this, any chance you could forward this proof onto either sparkie or myself please

As i think you will be aware we are looking into the CRA's, so we are looking for proof against them, to see what can be done

Thanks

Comment

Hello All,

This is another subject close to my heart.

There are a lot of five minute wonderboys out there operating as debt collectors and I think we need to drive the debt handling back in-house and in-house only. In a day and age when the Met. are having a nightmare trying to eradicate fraud on many levels, I think if we flush this sector down the pan and start seeing control of debt handling between customer and original company only, things will get a lot clearer for the police to be able to do their job. I am continually pestering MP's on this and I have said that the next debt collector that phones me for a debt from 10 years ago or whenever, the originator of the debt will get reported to the police. Simples.

They may not do anything for me but one of them will be made an example of.

Let's start making the DPA work for us.

Comment

There is a special procedure you can use if you have been subject to domestic violence or harrassment, your name does not appear just a reference number.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorang View Post
                Keithposty

If you have proof of this, any chance you could forward this proof onto either sparkie or myself please

As i think you will be aware we are looking into the CRA's, so we are looking for proof against them, to see what can be done

Thanks
                are you sure mr k posty
                ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                hmmm
                Last edited by speechy123; 16th December 2011, 13:20:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Can anyone point me to the law that says we have to be on the Electoral Role pls?

Many thanks

Comment

Registration is compulsory. It stems from s23 of the Representation of the People (England and Wales) Regulations 2001. Council officials - Electoral Registration Officers (ERO) - are legally bound to maintain registers of all those able to vote.
                    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...lation/23/made

Note that the law is about to change dramatically. The Electoral Registration and Administration bill is currently at the committee stage in the House of Lords. This will bring in Individual Electoral Registration (IER). This will require individuals, rather than householders to register as a 'civic duty'. Failure to respond to a mafia-style 'invitation' to register, will result in the imposition of a 'civic penalty'.

They say that this is 'encourage democracy' and 'combat fraud', but this is twaddle. In reality, it's a massive step toward the creation of a universal government database. They are also very worried by increasing public cynicism and falling turnouts, so it's a necessary step toward the imposition of compulsory voting.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X