• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot/Morgan solicitors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot/Morgan solicitors

Hi

Need advice please.

I have received a court order for 10th October from Morgan solicitors on behalf of Cabot and have put a charging order on my property. My mother is the proprieter and worried they will/have sent her the same letter. This has nothing to do with her and really do not want her to know.

I am happy to pay them back instalments, but do not want to go to court as the court they want me to attend is Kings Lynn Court in Norfolk.

Very worried and distressed, please help

:-(
    Tags: None

Re: Cabot/Morgan solicitors

Is Kings Lynn your local court?

If not, then get it transferred to the one nearest to you.

See National Debtline England Wales | Debt Advice | Factsheet 15 Charging Orders In The County Court

Comment

No it's not. Is there a way of not going to court?

Comment

Get it transferred to your local court then.

Info on how to do so is in the previous link.

Comment

Have they already got a charging order.or is this going to court because they are seeking a charging order? What has happened prior to this, and what is the debt for?

We would need a lot more info/background in order to be able to advise properly
          Is no longer here

Comment

I first received a court order from Northampton Court , I agreed to pay in installments and missed the first payment, I then received a letter informing me this has been moved to Kings Lynn Court, a month later another letter from Morgan solicitors asking me to contact them to arrange payment, I was away from home for a couple of weeks so did not receive this letter. I then received an application for a final charging order on my property.

Before I received this order I sent a cheque to Morgan Solicitors via recorded delivery

Should I contact Solicitors or court to request they refrain from sending letter to my mum? Not sure what to do, could someone help?

Comment

You need to contact the court to get the hearing moved to your own local county court.

Comment

I have requested for my hearing to be transferred to my local court. Just awaiting to hear back now. They have also sent the same letters to my mother, who is now panicking. Will she need to do anything?
                ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                Also does anyone know if there's anyway of not going to court at all. Can it be done via letters/e-mails

Thanks all
                Last edited by DistressedLady; 14th September 2011, 15:53:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by DistressedLady View Post
                  I have requested for my hearing to be transferred to my local court. Just awaiting to hear back now. They have also sent the same letters to my mother, who is now panicking. Will she need to do anything?
                  ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                  Also does anyone know if there's anyway of not going to court at all. Can it be done via letters/e-mails

Thanks all
                  They have sent copies of the letters addressed to your mother about your personal situation?

Can you clarify who owns the property? Because if its your mum that owns the property then unless she was a guarantor to the credit agreement that this debt comes from, then they should not be contacting her at all and doing so is a breach of the data protection act.

But seriously you need to clarufy the situation of the ownership of the property and you called it your property but said your mother was the proprietor (therefore owner)?

As for stopping this going to court, there is no way it will be stopped now that they have issued the claim and its been forwarded to track with a application made for charging order to your property - Though if the debt is in your name and the property does not belong to you then they can not put a charging order on it, if they did and so long as your mother was not a guarantor to the debt, then your mother could sue them.
                  Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Thanks teaboy2. Yes they sent the same letters to my mother and the property is under my name, She is only a gaurantor (Sorry for the confusion). Funny thing is, she called Morgan solicitors to find out what was going on and they told her it had nothing to do with her, she even asked to speak to a manager who took about an hour to get to the phone and informed her again it had nothing to do with her. So they have made her panic and stress for no reason at all.

Is there anything I can about this?

Comment

As your mother is the gaurantor then it is your mother that is liable for the debt if you fail to keep up payments.

I can not see how they can go after your property when your mother is the gaurantor to the debt. In otherwords it is your mother they should be chasing payment from and taking to court and her property that they should be getting a charging order on as by being a gaurantor she is responsible for paying your debt if you fail or can no longer keep up repayments.

So yes legally it has more to do with your mother than it does with yourself and it should be your mother that should be taken to court due to her being the gaurantor and not yourselve being taken to court.

Can you provide us with more detailed background of the debt, what it is and how much and why you failed to keep up repayments etc
                      Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

But why then when she called Morgan Solicitors, they informed her it had nothing to do with her?

She basically lent me a large deposit for my property, and our greement is when I sell the property I give her back the deposit plus a precentage of the equity. The property is under my name.

I think this debt was sold to Cabot by Egg. I failed to make payments as I was going through a rough patch and my debts had built up and was too scared to contact them, I have only recently been receiving letters from Morgan Solicitors. I know this is my fault, I just didn't want my mother involved. I don't have a copy of my original contract and and don't ever recall receiving a default notice. Should I be asking for these?

Not sure what I can do now so that they do not put a charge on my property.

Comment

Hi Distressedlady

From reading your thread I don't think that we are seeing the full picture here as I am only presuming that this is for a loan but am not sure as you say Egg was original creditor

to give us a clearer picture of what has happened and when, and in order for you to get accutrate advice can you put togeter a timeline of what has happened and when, from the date you took out the Credit card or loan to present day please

in an easy to read format like

xx/xx/xxxx Took out this with them
                          xx/xx/xxxx This is when mother got inlolved
                          xx/xx/xxxx This is when I fell behind in payments
                          xx/xx/xxxx They sent me this
                          xx/xx/xxxx I sent them this
                          xx/xx/xxxx They sent me/mother that
                          xx/xx/xxxx I/mother sent that
                          xx/xx/xxxx Recieved N1CPC from xx court/ bulk centre
                          xx/xx/xxxx Did this about claim
                          etc etc

You get the idea, this is so we can all get the full picture easily and quickly in order to give you accurate advice

Comment

I agree with gorang above - We need more precise break down of events and whether it was a loan or a credit card, as now you mentioned egg i can not see how your mother was a guarantor on an egg credit card (assuming it is a credit card not a loan). Though egg do give out loans aswell.

As for no Default Notice, well we need to ascertain everything above first, as gorang mentioned, before we can say anything for certain. Though generally no default notice would make their claim unenforcable in court. But we need to know if it has actually ever been to court yet or if they are just threatening you and misled you about the charging order being placed on your house.

So please give us a simple break down of events as Gorang suggested and details of the debt i.e. Egg loan, Egg Credit card, date it was taken out, date you made last payment and how much was the loan for or the how much was the credit limit and how much is outstanding now.

One way to check to see if a charging order has been put on your house is to check with the land registry, also they would have sent you a letter informing you a charging order had been put on your house too, if that was the case.
                            Last edited by teaboy2; 18th September 2011, 12:15:PM.

Comment

Also as a word of consolation, a Charging Order is not necessarily the end of the world. It is a way of turning the unsecured loan (or loan secured by your mother) into a secured loan under your name. I would have thought this preferable for you in your situation. It would also serve to stop things going to your mother.

However, if this is the case, whether or not they are allowed take a loan where your mother is the guarantor and transfer it totally to you, when technically they should be pursuing your mum is another matter entirely.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X