• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Admissible Evidence?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admissible Evidence?

Hi, I'm not sure this is the correct forum to ask this, but is FoI data acquired under a nom de plume acceptable in court?
    Tags: None

Re: Admissible Evidence?

I know very little about court procedure, but I would have thought that any evidence which could be considered directly relevant to the case would be admissable.

Comment

Is the information in the public domain?
      "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
      (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Thanks for your replies. The information will be in the public domain if the request is successful, and is directly relevant to the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Brizzle View Post
          Thanks for your replies. The information will be in the public domain if the request is successful, and is directly relevant to the case.
          If it's under an FOI request then there is nothing that stops you from using it. Who is to say who passed the info on plus by definition it is Freedom of Information.

Comment

That's my thinking also - however the case has it's objectors who are trying to undermine it and it's been suggested that, because using a nom de plume is 'technically' illegal for FoIs, the information thus provided is inadmissible.

Unfortunately I can't see anything definitive either way within the standard FoI rules.

Comment

That's my thinking also - however the case has it's objectors who are trying to undermine it and it's been suggested that, because using a nom de plume is 'technically' illegal for FoIs, the information thus provided is inadmissible.

Unfortunately I can't see anything definitive either way within the standard FoI rules.
              Do you have the response to the FOI request?

EDIT: is it consumer issues related?

Comment

I cannot see if the information is available publically through an FOI why it should make any difference. Is there any reason why you can't make this request in your own name, or get another "real" person to make it on your behalf and pass the information on to you. That way everything is 100% above board.

Comment

People associated with this case have had bricks through their windows and cars keyed, hence anonymity is preferred!

This particular case isn't consumer-related I'm afraid, but I'm hoping it might clarify the position for future cases.

As far as I'm aware, only evidence like hearsay and phone-tapping are classed as inadmissible, so I was seeking a general clarification.

Thank you for all your responses.

Comment

People associated with this case have had bricks through their windows and cars keyed, hence anonymity is preferred!

This particular case isn't consumer-related I'm afraid, but I'm hoping it might clarify the position for future cases.

As far as I'm aware, only evidence like hearsay and phone-tapping are classed as inadmissible, so I was seeking a general clarification.

Thank you for all your responses.
                    You need to find a forum which deals with this kind of thing and simply post it within the public domain

Comment

In my view of this

if the information is in public domain and the prosicuting/defence solicitor recieved it through the mail and it helps their case, then I'm sure they would use it no matter if it came in the post anonymously with a note telling them where the info can be found with a simple FOI request if they need proof of where it came from

hope this helps a bit

Comment

Hi, I'm not sure this is the correct forum to ask this, but is FoI data acquired under a nom de plume acceptable in court?
                        Agree with lerc through the foi, the evidence is submissable. nom de plume is usually used to prosecute an author or seudonym for breech of copyright etc. However if the non named is the plaintiff/accuser then its a different ball game, it would be like Mickey mouse V Disney productions. In most cases the accussed would have the right to know who was accussing, encase there was other reasons for the charge.
                        Excuse if I have the wrong end of the stick, but your post is rather cryptic
                        Last edited by strangewayofsavin; 6th January 2012, 19:36:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X