• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay seller won't refund payment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay seller won't refund payment

Moderator - can you move this to the Ebay forum? I hadn't scrolled down that far when I posted this thread, and didn't realise the Ebay forum existed, sorry.

Hi everybody, I hope this is the correct forum to put this in:
    I bought a PC from somebody on Ebay about a month ago, for £80.00, and paid them by PayPal. The PC arrived and is working fine, however, I had just changed banks and forgotten to update my PayPal account with my new bank's information, and the PayPal payment I had sent to the seller had been refused by PayPal, as the bank transfer from my bank to my PayPal account had failed, as it was trying to take money from my old bank account, not my new one.

Both I and the seller received e-mails to this effect, and I contacted them to tell them that I would pay the necessary money into my PayPal account, from my new bank account, and set this up, but told them that it would take up to seven days to get to my PayPal account, according to PayPal.

The seller then said that he desperately needed the money as his PayPal account was now down by £80.00 as the payment that had gone in, had then been frozen by PayPal, and removed temporarily from his account.
    I said that I would pay him by bank transfer, if he would refund the PayPal payment as soon as it went into his account, which he agreed to do.
    The bank transfer went into his bank account on the same day, and he then says that he paid the bank transfer into his PayPal account, as he had had a balance of -£80.00, due to the frozen payment.

He claims that his account balance was £80.00, but changed to -£80.00 when the payment was frozen. Obviously this is incorrect, as it should have gone down to zero, not -£80.00.

I telephone PayPal to find out whether my payment had actually left my PayPal account and gone into his account, because according to my PayPal statement, it definitely had. They confirmed this for me, three times (three separate long phone calls), that the payment had gone from my account into the seller's.

I contacted the seller again and told him this, and asked him to refund my Paypal payment as agreed. He insisted that the money hadn't gone into his account, and that his account had gone from £80.00 to -£80.00, and that he couldn't refund the money as he 'didn't have it' in his PayPal account.

This has been going on for five weeks. I am under the impression that the seller doesn't actually understand what he is looking at on his PayPal statements, going by what he has said to me, and also by the questions I ask, which he ignores and never answers.

I have finally had enough and told him that I am going to have to take him to the small claims court. I have asked him about five times to simply telephone PayPal and ask them to verify that my payment has gone into his account, but every time I ask this, he just ignores it and replies about something else.

Bearing in mind that this has already cost me about £10 in phone bills, and will now waste a huge amount of my time, plus that of the small claims court, is there a better way for me to resolve this? The seller claims that he has a 'legal team' (which I strongly doubt) and has been saying for the past month that he will get his alleged 'legal team' to 'sort things out with PayPal', which he hasn't done in the slightest. I have asked him to get his 'legal team' to contact me, so I can ask them to look at his PayPal statement, as I am sure the payment will clearly be on there. He now says that 'since this is a legal matter' he can no longer communicate with me, and will leave it up to his 'legal team'.

Is it possible for me to claim compensation for wasted time, as the seller clearly has refused to do even the most basic thing, to sort this out? (i.e. he won't telephone PayPal and ask them to confirm that the payment has reached him, and he won't send me a redacted screenshot of his PayPal statement, even though I've sent him one of mine, for the payments and time period concerned).

I am at my wit's end over this, such a huge waste of time because I did a favour for somebody by paying them the bank transfer, to try to help them out.
    Last edited by Charlesamo; 16th August 2011, 16:07:PM. Reason: Just seen Ebay forum... sorry!
    Tags: None

Re: Ebay seller won't refund payment

Here's a link to their "new" resolution centre. Here you can raise a dispute, you and the seller have a dialogue visible to Paypal as to who has said what, then (and don't miss the deadline) you can escalate it to a formal claim within 20 days (check this on the site please!)

Introducing the PayPal Dispute Resolution Process - PayPal

Comment

If the oaf really has a "crack legal team" behind which he is trying to hide, that seems to suggest he is selling on ebay as a business.

Hence, you should report him (anonymously, if you can) to HMRC in case he's fiddled his or his company's tax, and also to Microsoft, as it seems unlikely that he'll have sold a genuine copy of the operating system for so little.

Between the HMRC and Microsoft, one may be sure that his "crack legal team" will have plenty to keep them amused.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
        If the oaf really has a "crack legal team" behind which he is trying to hide, that seems to suggest he is selling on ebay as a business.

Hence, you should report him (anonymously, if you can) to HMRC in case he's fiddled his or his company's tax, and also to Microsoft, as it seems unlikely that he'll have sold a genuine copy of the operating system for so little.

Between the HMRC and Microsoft, one may be sure that his "crack legal team" will have plenty to keep them amused.
        The word Vexatious springs to mind here...

Comment

Originally posted by stevokenevo View Post
          The word Vexatious springs to mind here...
          So?

The vendor has messed the OP about, so it only seems fair to return the favour.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
            So?

The vendor has messed the OP about, so it only seems fair to return the favour.
            Two wrongs dont make a right, keep it real :beagle:

Comment

One may be confident that neither HMRC nor Microsoft would waste much time if initial investigations brought up no causes for concern.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X