• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Milton Keynes Rapid Recovery (MKRR)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milton Keynes Rapid Recovery (MKRR)

Hi all, I am Jacobite and I live in Scarborough.As I am new to this forum I will put my question as simple as I can regarding the above DCA.

Some time ago I received a letter from a company called Willen (which is also part of MKRR)regarding a debt owed to Nationwide.I duly replied to them with a Statute Barred letter as the debt was well over 6 years old.I then received an acknowledgement to my letter from MKRR stating that they did not agree that the debt was Statute Barred.They stated in the letter that they had contacted Nationwide and Nationwide confirmed that a payment had been made on the account in 2005,thats strange as the account they refered to was closed in 2003/2004.At no time have I acknowleged this debt,it does not even show on my credit file.
    I am also getting weekly phone calls from them to which I have responded by sending them a telphone harassment letter still the calls keep coming but I do not answer them I just delete the calls from my answer machine.

I have also reported them to the OFT but that does not seem to bother them.

How do DCA'S like this manage to keep there licence when they blatantly break the law.I think that any further communications from these people will be filed under B.Anybody with any other ideas please.
    Tags: None

Re: Milton Keynes Rapid Recovery (MKRR)

You're lucky you closed the account as it is quite common for phantom payments to be made just to make it look like you acknowledged the debt.

If you're sure it's SB, then continue to ignore. There is no reason why they can't still ask you to pay the money as you still owe it, but the SB letter should put a stop to them repeatedly asking.

The only other thing you could do is ask them for their proof that a payment was made. They'd find this hard if there was no account in existence at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
      You're lucky you closed the account as it is quite common for phantom payments to be made just to make it look like you acknowledged the debt.

If you're sure it's SB, then continue to ignore. There is no reason why they can't still ask you to pay the money as you still owe it, but the SB letter should put a stop to them repeatedly asking.

The only other thing you could do is ask them for their proof that a payment was made. They'd find this hard if there was no account in existence at that time.
      Hi Caspar,I will put the content of the letter on the forum and you can come to your own conclusion re the content.

Comment

You could cc your MP with the letters, and/or Trading Standards/OFT; that sometimes deters them.

Comment

Here is the content of the letter dated 25th July 2011.

Account Ref: DNWXXXXXXXX

Original Creditor: Nationwide

Balance Outstanding: £1793.00

Dear Mr xxxxxxxxx

I write further to your recent correspondance in regards to the outstanding balance on your account.Please accept this letter as a final response to your concern.

I understand you still believe the above debt is Statute Barred and you are of the view that our communications are harassment.

As advised in my previous correspondance dated 17th June 2011, (this is the part of the letter that does not add up)Nationwide have advised that a payment of £215.56 was applied to your account on 13th May 2005 and this was withdrawn on 20th May 2005 (how is this possible when the account was closed in 2003/2004).

Nationwide have also advised that a letter was issued to you on 1st June 2005 before your account was assigned to Roxburghe. I can also confirm that a letter was sent to you by Willen collections (Part of MKRR) in May 2011.

You therefore remain liable for the outstanding balance stated above as you have been contacted in regards to this account in the last 6 years and we will continue with our collection activities.

Further to this, we do not consider our communication as harassment as we are within our rights to pursue customer for any outstanding debt should they fail to enter into any sort of dialogue in order to achieve a positive solution with us.

Comment

Originally posted by SpringerSpaniel View Post
            You could cc your MP with the letters, and/or Trading Standards/OFT; that sometimes deters them.
            If they do not take any notice of the OFT then they are not going to take notice of anybody else.

Comment

Simply start ignoring these clowns - they'll soon get fed up when they see they are getting nowhere with you.
              Refuse to speak to them on phone or answer any security questions.
              They have no legal powers to any money off you = end of.
              Report them to every authority you can think of - including the police if need be (not 999) and maybe obtain a court injunction?
              The sooner you start fighting fire with fire with idiots like this the sooner they will leave you alone.

Comment

........... which is what I said in post #2.

Comment

Well the SB does not work with these muppets, the latest letter is a threat and I do not know whether to ignore or respond.It reads as follows:

FINAL DEMAND
                  YOUR ACCOUNT IS WITH THE PRE-LITIGATION DEPARTMENT

We regret to note that despite our collection team making efforts for a positive solution to this issue you have chosen to ignore all correspondance and attempts to talk to you by telephone.

We have been left with no option but to transfer your account to Raven Recoveries to resolve this on our behalf. They may commence litigation against you which will increase the debt payable due to costs incurred.Should the matter proceed Raven Recoveries could take a charge aginst your property or have monies deducted direct from your wages.

At this point I should point out that Raven Recoveries is part of MKRR/MKDP.

It would be nice if I could get some more positive feedback as to what action to take with these muppets as I am getting rather pi****ed of with them. Each time I respond to there correspondance I get more crap from them and I seem to be getting nowhere at all.

Comment

am i missing sometheing
                    £215 was paid into account in may 2005 (alleged)

pluss six years is may 2011

it is now sept 2011

thats 4 months past the statute barrd date

they can frack off and there continued harrassment after you informed them its statute barred comes under CPUTR

AS LONG AS NO ACKNOWLEDGEMENT BY LETTER OR PAYMENT WITHIN THE PREVIOUS SIX YEARS

Comment

Originally posted by Jacobite View Post
                      Well the SB does not work with these muppets
                      It would if they were sufficiently loony to sue but, of course, they'll not do that as it is a complete defence to state that, under section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980 (link) the action is barred as there has been neither any acknowledgement or payment made by the alleged debtor in the preceding six years.

the latest letter is a threat and I do not know whether to ignore or respond.
                      Ignoring it may 'cause' them to send another series of threatening letters, whilst they seem to ignore any legal points made in response to their threats; for example, they seem to have the silly belief that merely writing to an alleged debtor after more than six years have elapsed somehow restarts the limitation period. See section 29 (7) - link - it doesn't, even if they had made any written acknowledgement or payment after the action had become barred.

Perhaps your local Citizens' Advice Bureau could send them a letter telling those oafs to behave themselves?

It reads as follows:

FINAL DEMAND
                      Whilst that seems promising, I doubt that it will be.

Translated: Your account has been passed to the numpty sitting on the right of the idiot with whom it was previously. Here is his picture so you can see he really means business:

We regret to note that despite our collection team making efforts for a positive solution to this issue you have chosen to ignore all correspondance and attempts to talk to you by telephone.
                      Lie - you wrote to those jerks to say it was SB, did you not?

We have been left with no option but to transfer your account to Raven Recoveries to resolve this on our behalf. They may commence litigation against you which will increase the debt payable due to costs incurred.
                      Lie - they would lose and they could thus be liable for your costs.

Should the matter proceed Raven Recoveries could take a charge aginst your property or have monies deducted direct from your wages.
                      Lie - they could only obtain a charging order if they could somehow win (which would only happen if you did not defend the action) and you had then failed to apply to get the judgement set aside, or appeal, or comply with the judgement. The same applies to an attachment to earnings or benefits.

It would be nice if I could get some more positive feedback as to what action to take with these muppets as I am getting rather pi****ed of with them. Each time I respond to there correspondance I get more crap from them and I seem to be getting nowhere at all.
                      Well, you could get your local CAB involved.

Another way is to contact Consumer Direct, as the debt collectors seem to have such an odd idea of the provisions of the Limitation Act 1980; I am sure that Consumer Direct or the OFT could arrange for the muppets to be educated.

Comment

Agreed, as long as you're sure it's SB, then ignore. The assignment to Raven Recoveries is no bad thing, and quite possibly a good thing. They would be highly unlikely to assign a debt to another DCA (which is all Raven Recoveries are) if they thought they could get the money themselves.

Whether or not Raven Recoveries are part of MKRR is almost irrelevant.

I would be inclined to send them one final letter reminding them that this debt is SB, if they have proof contrary to this please would they supply it. Unless future correspondence is to send you the aforementioned proof, and other communication via whatever means will be regarded as harassment and the will be reported to the FOS and the OFT.

Your other option which may be more effective, but give you a little more hassle is to continue to ignore the letter. They are trying to intimidate, bully and scare you into paying a debt which you are under no legal obligation whatsoever to pay.

Comment

Agreed, as long as you're sure it's SB, then ignore. The assignment to Raven Recoveries is no bad thing, and quite possibly a good thing. They would be highly unlikely to assign a debt to another DCA (which is all Raven Recoveries are) if they thought they could get the money themselves.

Whether or not Raven Recoveries are part of MKRR is almost irrelevant.

I would be inclined to send them one final letter reminding them that this debt is SB, if they have proof contrary to this please would they supply it. Unless future correspondence is to send you the aforementioned proof, and other communication via whatever means will be regarded as harassment and the will be reported to the FOS and the OFT.

Your other option which may be more effective, but give you a little more hassle is to continue to ignore the letter. They are trying to intimidate, bully and scare you into paying a debt which you are under no legal obligation whatsoever to pay.
                          Thanks to one and all for your coments re these muppets.I am going to ignore all the communications from now on,but I am seriously thinking of sending all the correspondace sent and received to the OFT as a formal complaint.:tung:

Comment

Whereas the CAB, Consumer Direct and/or your local Trading Standards department at the Town Hall can (and often will) take up a complaint from a member of the public, the Office of Faffing and Twaddling cannot. It may take a complaint and add it to its files, but it doesn't do very much (or, in my opinion, anything like nearly enough) and that which it does deign to do is done v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacobite View Post
                              Well the SB does not work with these muppets, the latest letter is a threat and I do not know whether to ignore or respond.It reads as follows:

FINAL DEMAND

We have been left with no option but to transfer your account to Raven Recoveries to resolve this on our behalf. They may commence litigation against you which will increase the debt payable due to costs incurred.Should the matter proceed Raven Recoveries could take a charge aginst your property or have monies deducted direct from your wages.

At this point I should point out that Raven Recoveries is part of MKRR/MKDP.

The usual could and may!s I see.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X