• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

GP charges for a letter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GP charges for a letter?

I recently wrote to my GP asking him to prepare a simple TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN letter for me, confirming a straightforward medical condition that I happen to have. This was such a simple process I enclosed a draft for him to use and an SAE for it's return. I've now received a phone call from his reception telling me that this letter was ready for me to collect, against payment of a £30 fee!!!

Does anyone know if GPs are entitled to make such charges for simply confirming details contained in my medical records? Seems a bit rich to me.
    Tags: None

Re: GP charges for a letter?

Hi, I do believe that this is classed as a private referral and they can charge as it is not part of the NHS. You should have been advised of this when you took the form in.
    Enaid x

Comment

Yes, they are allowed to charge fees for this, passports, shotgun licenses etc... I agree it's a rip off, but sadly it's the only way to get hold of it, so they have you over a barrel.

Comment

If you want confirmation of a diagnosis (and also want to know everything the doctors have ever written about you) do a Subject Access Request. It will show your entire medical file along with any diagnosis.

Some doctors only charge 10 pounds for it, though they can charge up to 50 under law.
        Advice given is offered as personal opinion only. I always recommend you seek professional legal advice.

Negative, I am a meat popsicle

Comment

I think the £50 max charge is to do with if the records are held electronically.
          Is no longer here

Comment

What are the fees for accessing medical records (health records)?
            Is no longer here

Comment

Was charged GBP15.00 for medical records for a claim.

Comment

Couple of links explaining

1) what your G.P. can charge for and,

2) suggested fees

Even though you provided your G.P. with a draft, he would still have had to check you records to ensure the information was correct.

Although most surgeries have a list of fees on the waiting room wall, as enaid said you should have been told in advance that there would be a charge for this.

CJ

Comment

I understand you can also request for copies of your records like a SAR for the same payment of £10, is that correct folks?

Comment

yes, I put it in the link in post #6

What are the fees for accessing medical records (health records)?
                    Is no longer here

Comment

Originally posted by WendyB View Post

Arh right thanks honey lol

Comment

Originally posted by mixalis View Post
                        I recently wrote to my GP asking him to prepare a simple TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN letter for me, confirming a straightforward medical condition that I happen to have. This was such a simple process I enclosed a draft for him to use and an SAE for it's return. I've now received a phone call from his reception telling me that this letter was ready for me to collect, against payment of a £30 fee!!!

Does anyone know if GPs are entitled to make such charges for simply confirming details contained in my medical records? Seems a bit rich to me.
                        Many thanks for all the replies on this, looks like I've got to swallow it!
                        £30 for for about 10minutes work! I'll make sure I get my SAE back though!

Comment

Also, with a SAR, I believe that the GP can omit/redact any info which he/she feels may be 'distressing' to the patient.
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                          gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Yeah I heard that also. We recently got a SAR on my wifes medical file and pretty much every note the doctors logged after consultations was redacted!

Is there a mechanism for explaining why or getting that without SAR?
                            Advice given is offered as personal opinion only. I always recommend you seek professional legal advice.

Negative, I am a meat popsicle

Comment

Yes, tricky one, that!

How can you tell if it's gonna cause distress if you don't know what it is?

& knowing that you're not allowed to know could cause even greater distress!

Is ignorance bliss?

It's my own fault - should never have sent that bl**dy SAR!!
                              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                              gets his brain a-going.
                              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X