• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Consumer Redress for Misleading and Aggressive Practices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consumer Redress for Misleading and Aggressive Practices

Consumer Redress for Misleading and Aggressive Practices

Status: This project is open for consultation until 12 July 2011
    On 12 April 2011 we published a consultation paper, Consumer Redress for Misleading and Aggressive Practices, in which we make proposals for reform and ask questions. We also published a Summary setting out the key issues.
    This is a joint project with the Scottish Law Commission.

(This project was formerly referred to as Misrepresentations and Unfair Commercial Practices.)
    How to Respond: we invite responses from all members of the public. We have created forms to make it easier to provide a response (although we welcome responses in other formats). Two forms are available:
    • a summary response form, with a shorter set of questions for consultees who have only read the summary; and
    • a full response form, for consultees who have read the Consultation Paper as a whole and wish to comment on our full set of proposals.

Once our consultation period closes we will analyse responses and produce a final report by March 2012.
    The problem and developments to date

Consumer groups argue that misleading and aggressive commercial practices are a major problem. Consumer Focus commissioned research which found that almost two-thirds of the population had fallen victim to a misleading or aggressive practice within the last two years, causing an estimated consumer detriment of £3.3 billion a year. A disproportionate number of these consumers are among the most vulnerable members of society, including the elderly and disabled. Abuses in the mobility aids market provide a vivid illustration of the problems involved. In addition aggressive and misleading selling undermines legitimate traders and can damage the reputation of an entire market.
    In May 2008, the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations implemented the Unfair Commercial Practices Directive into UK law. They provide that businesses trading with consumers must not use “unfair commercial practices”. The Regulations prohibit misleading actions, misleading omissions and aggressive commercial practices and cover many of the practices consumers complain about. The Regulations can, however, only be enforced by the OFT and trading standards. Consumers who are victims of an unfair commercial practice cannot bring claims for compensation under the Regulations.
    Consumers have to rely on private law rights. Our review of the current private law in this area has found it is fragmented, complex and unclear. The people dealing with these issues are often not lawyers. Consumers and businesses may prefer to settle the disputes themselves, or with the help of non-legal advisers, or alternatively trading standards officers may be involved. The law needs to be clear and simple in order to be effective.
    The project

Our project aims to provide a simpler, clearer, and more cohesive framework for consumer protection from misleading and aggressive commercial practices. Our proposals cover three key areas
    • Misleading practices. The law of misrepresentation provides a potential remedy in many cases, but the law is fragmented, complex and unclear.
    • Aggressive practices (such as high pressure sales techniques). The current law is ill-suited to consumer disputes and leaves significant gaps in protection. Aggressive debt collection was highlighted as a particular problem.
    • A new scheme of consumer remedies. Consumer groups told us that consumers usually prefer a refund, and the ability to “unwind” the transaction. The current law usually allows this in principle but in practice, the right has complicated conditions and exceptions.

Our Consultation Paper and Summary set out our proposals and ask questions. We invite the public to respond. As noted above, please send us your views by 12 July 2011.
    Previous work

In July 2008, the Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (BERR) asked the Law Commission to give it preliminary advice on the issues which would be raised by providing consumers with a new private right of redress for unfair commercial practices under the Regulations. We sent our preliminary advice to BERR in November 2008.
    In February 2010 we started our current, larger project and produced a short paper outlining the current legal framework and some of the difficulties that exist. Between March and September 2010, we held a series of preliminary meetings with stakeholders to discuss problems raised by unfair commercial practices. We have set out our key findings from these meetings in our Feedback from Stakeholders.
    Update on the Australian Consumer Law: in Part 11 of our Consultation Paper we refer to the Trade Practices Act 1974 which has been amended and renamed the Competition and Consumer Act 2010. For more information see the Australian Government’s website.

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

Re: Consumer Redress for Misleading and Aggressive Practices

If anybody does have any input into this - and I am particularly thinking of the people involved in the retail loss prevention cases, then the deadline for submissions has been extended until the end of July 2011.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Such a shame CPUTR cannot be used against the companies by consumers. If it could it would be a superb piece of legislation.

However, mentioning your awareness of it is often enough to make DCA's etc.... back off.

Comment

I would be tempted to try to include CMC's, bailiffs and DCA's who often use misleading and dishonest behaviour to intimidate people into paying up?
        "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

I would like to see high street banks forbidden by law to write off bad debt and then re-sell it to DCAs.

They shouldn't be allowed to sell something which officially no longer exists, and they should have to do their own dirty work when customers fall into financial difficulties, with a standard of conduct whhich would pass muster in the courts.

Comment

Originally posted by SpringerSpaniel View Post
            I would like to see high street banks forbidden by law to write off bad debt and then re-sell it to DCAs.

They shouldn't be allowed to sell something which officially no longer exists, and they should have to do their own dirty work when customers fall into financial difficulties, with a standard of conduct whhich would pass muster in the courts.
            How does the debt "officially no longer exist"? Merely because a bank does not want to spend the money pursuing the debt does not mean the debt does not exist.

A debt can still be an asset, you can sell it, you can offset the loss against tax. Ultimately this leads dow the road to the argument that those who pay their debts on time are paying more for the monies they borrow than those who do not pay.

The conduct issue is a different point, but I do not understand your reference to the courts.

Live within your means and avoid the stress of debt and DCAs. Not easy, but you have to choose which path to follow.

Comment

If the debt has been written off as a bad debt for tax purposes, it no longer exists.

You should not assume that I am in debt or that I live beyong my means; I am not. I am still entitled to an opinion on consumer matters.
              ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
              People often find themselves dealing with financial problems as a result of changed circumstances eg redundancy, ilnness, accident, divorce. Harrassment and poor conduct from DCAs, which is the norm from these, is something they do not need additionally at these times.

Banks lend money at risk; that is why they charge interest.

There is quite a lot to be said for not borrowing money; lending with interest is forbidden by both the Bible and the Koran. However both borrowing and lending have become extremely widespread in our society.
              Last edited by SpringerSpaniel; 19th July 2011, 08:54:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Hi Springer,

How are you this fine morning?

Just one small point re banks dealing directly with bad debt. I agree that they should deal with it. However, though the stress of DCA's is immense if you're not used to receiving their threatograms and don't realise they are powerless unless they have an Absolute Assignment, a DCA is usually much easier to deal with regarding F&F's than an OC. They accept lower settlements as they bought the non-existant debt for x pence in the pound.

Comment

I agree with the points about consumers, both that dealing with DCAs is for many a source of great stress, but that potentially they may accept a lower settlement.

However in this scenario, banks get a tax advantage getting DCAs to harrass vulnerable customers / ex customers AND Dcas get to make a profit - and I do not think either of these are right.

Comment

Originally posted by jebedee View Post

Live within your means and avoid the stress of debt and DCAs. Not easy, but you have to choose which path to follow.
                    Ahhhhh Thank you Jebedee....you are so right, thanks for enlightening me about the mistakes I have made!
                    When I was trapped in a violent abusive marriage with 3 kids, I should have stayed put and learnt to put up with the aggression, then I'd have been able to live within my means. And when i had that car crash that put me in hospital for 3 months, I should have scraped my unconscious body back to my office and earned an honest living instead of allowing my creditors to run riot through my accounts whilst I was incapacitated! Oh and when I became disabled following a stroke, I should have carried on paying my loans and debts even though I couldn't even talk or hold a pen and no employer would touch me. Ahh and when my child became seriously ill and needed constant care I should have ignored her needs and put my creditors above her care. And finally when I developed cancer, I should have ignored that trifling inconvenience and lived within my means and reduced my eating to accommodate my drastically reduced income. Gosh....now I know....Thanks xxx
                    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
                      Ahhhhh Thank you Jebedee....you are so right, thanks for enlightening me about the mistakes I have made!
                      When I was trapped in a violent abusive marriage with 3 kids, I should have stayed put and learnt to put up with the aggression, then I'd have been able to live within my means. And when i had that car crash that put me in hospital for 3 months, I should have scraped my unconscious body back to my office and earned an honest living instead of allowing my creditors to run riot through my accounts whilst I was incapacitated! Oh and when I became disabled following a stroke, I should have carried on paying my loans and debts even though I couldn't even talk or hold a pen and no employer would touch me. Ahh and when my child became seriously ill and needed constant care I should have ignored her needs and put my creditors above her care. And finally when I developed cancer, I should have ignored that trifling inconvenience and lived within my means and reduced my eating to accommodate my drastically reduced income. Gosh....now I know....Thanks xxx
                      Glad you agree.

Seriously, I am hoping you are the exception to the rule. Still I will try to live my life without incurring too much debt. My choice though.

Now time to go back to bed and get out the other side.

Comment

Live within your means and avoid the stress of debt and DCAs. Not easy, but you have to choose which path to follow

Jebedee

With all due respect that is the most callous statement I have ever heard, Just about everyone is in debt in some form or another however they are good debts as the payments are being maintained, however many citizens fall in the trap of bad debt though no fault of there own via ill health, redundancy etc.

So you see your statement is not such a bed of roses and was probably posted with out thought.

It is also those statements that drag debtors deeper into depression and anxiety lets not forget we are here to help those less fortunate find a route out of debt.

Regards
                        If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jebedee View Post
                          As someone who clearly has answers to these things, I'd like to ask you a question. I have to assume if you don't reply you don't actually have an answer which is rather an admittance that your statement was at best ill considered.

When I lost my job where I was earning around £55,000 per year back in 2003 and was retired due to severe ill health (which obviously I could not have predicted), I went literally overnight to a pension of just under £8500 per year.

Due to this drop in income and commitments - just little things like a mortgage, I was unable to pay my bills and fell into debt. Not a single ppi paid out one penny.

So, onto the question, what exactly was I supposed to do to live within my means. I agree it's not easy - I actually found it impossible, so please enlighten me with your wisdom.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X