• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Holiday Entitlement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday Entitlement

I work in Security. When I started with this company in 2007, i signed a waiver to work a 60 hour week (5 x 12). After a couple of years I was ordered by my doctor to knock it down to a 4 x 12 hour week due to sleep deprivation. I now work 4 x 12 hours.

The company told me that, as I now worked a 'short' week, I was no longer entitled to 28 days holiday and it would be reduced to 21. This was to include Bank Holidays (8 I believe).

Is this legal?
    Darkness is only the absence of light; ignorance is only the absence of knowledge.
    Tags: None

Re: Holiday Entitlement

Have a look at this, it might throw more light on it Holiday entitlements: the basics : Directgov - Employment
    Is no longer here

Comment

Originally posted by elbmek View Post
      I work in Security. When I started with this company in 2007, i signed a waiver to work a 60 hour week (5 x 12). After a couple of years I was ordered by my doctor to knock it down to a 4 x 12 hour week due to sleep deprivation. I now work 4 x 12 hours.

The company told me that, as I now worked a 'short' week, I was no longer entitled to 28 days holiday and it would be reduced to 21. This was to include Bank Holidays (8 I believe).

Is this legal?
      No.

Comment

Thanks for the link, and here is my interpretation:

Your employer can control some things about your holiday, including when you should take it and whether they include bank holidays in your entitlement.
        They do not have to include bank holidays. I normally work, Fri - Mon inclusive but will come back to that in a minute.

• you are entitled to a minimum of 5.6 weeks paid annual leave - 28 days for someone working five days a week (capped at a statutory maximum of 28 days for all working patterns)
        • part-time workers are entitled to the same level of holiday pro rata (so 5.6 times your usual working week, eg 22.4 days for someone working four days a week)

Because I worked 5 days a week, albeit at 60 hours, I now work 4 days a week (48 hours) - the company are classing this as part time. Even though, at an hourly rate, I am working more than a 40 hour week.

bank and public holidays can be included in your minimum entitlement
        But not WILL be.

So , they class me as part time because I am not available for the 5 x 12 hours shifts BUT are these working days not based on an average 8 hour working day eg: 9-5?
        Darkness is only the absence of light; ignorance is only the absence of knowledge.

Comment

Your employer is trying to limit your paid holiday allowance to 21 days.

You are entitled, by law, to a minimum of 22.4 days; a sensible interpretation of that would be to offer a little more than the legally required minimum and give you 23 days paid holiday.

It is not lawful for your employer to give you less than 22.4 days paid holiday per annum.

Find a better employer, then report Simon Legree Ltd.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X