• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Finance (No. 3) Bill: New Clause 11 ? High cost credit lending (4 Jul 2011)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finance (No. 3) Bill: New Clause 11 ? High cost credit lending (4 Jul 2011)

Christopher Leslie: ...The organisations in question admittedly engage in legal lending, but their activity feels immoral to many of us. My hon. Friend the Member for Makerfield (Yvonne Fovargue) said that help from the financial inclusion fund ought to be there for our constituents. The Minister tried to explain that that fund will remain for another nine months, but as my hon. Friend said, it will end, and...

More...
    Tags: None

Re: Finance (No. 3) Bill: New Clause 11 ? High cost credit lending (4 Jul 2011)

cont....

and for those who struggle even to open the envelopes containing the bills as they stack up, there is no substitute for such face-to-face advice. The Government need to do better to ensure that face-to-face advice services remain and do not fall away when the cuts to them are compounded by local authority cuts. The Minister said, “Oh well, the previous Administration ruled out interest rate caps,” and castigated them for that. The point is that we are talking not about one route or policy solution today. We need a thorough review that deals specifically with high-cost credit markets. The current joint OFT and Treasury review does not do that. His reasons for resisting the new clause are the typical civil service ones—pointing out that the proposal refers to the Financial Services Authority rather than to the OFT is pretty pedantic. He also said that the proposal does not list specific policy elements. He rules out tax as a lever, but I do not say that a tax measure is absolutely necessary in this case; I am saying that it could be. We want him to lead a review to find out.
    The Minister’s complacency is not good enough. Vulnerable people in this society are suffering because of the high punitive charges that they unfairly face. Some of the very poorest in our society are suffering. We need action now, and we have tried our best to offer the Minister a device that would allow him to get on with reviewing the levers that could make a difference. He refuses to do that and throws the proposal back in our face. For that reason, surely, we ought to press the new clause to a Division.

Add an annotation (e.g. more info, blog post or wikipedia article)

Question put, That the clause be read a Second time.
    The House divided:
    Ayes 228, Noes 273.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X