• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Virgin Media Default

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgin Media Default

Ok, where to start?

Brief history, missus took out contract with telewest around november 2004.
    We moved in April 05, and were told we renewed our 12 month contract by having telewest reinstalled.
    We moved again in September 06 to our current home. Where we again had telewest reinstalled.
    Telewest became Virgin somewere along the line, Virgin lost Sky one, Sky one bought the rights to the new season of prison break so we had to change to Sky ;-)
    We contacted Virgin about cancelling and they offered to reduce our monthly bill from around £65/month to £40/month, missus agreed to a one month trial while virgin attempted to negotiate with Sky.
    Around May/June i ordered a BT Line and Sky to be installed. We sent off three letters to Virgin giving one months notice cancelling the Phone TV and Broadband.
    Missus received a telephone call asking why we were leaving ( as BT had contacted them to transfer the phone number which the allowed), gave them the explanation, they said fair enough.

we have continued to be billed, although after several telecons the bill has went up and down as one persons claims to have corrected the error, then another claims not to have received the notice and demanded dosh.

The current situation is they have amended the final bill to £82.96, and issued a default notice, served under section 87(1) of the consumer Credit Act 1974.

Can i take this opportunity to apologise for the wall of text and thank you for reading this far ;-)

I want to fire off a letter, explaining the mix up, insisting that we gave them them the months notice, reminding them of the number of phone calls we have had where one operators have agreed the contract was terminated, And demanding they cancel the default notice.

I would also be interested to hear if i can 'CCA' them? as this is a default notice under the consumer credit act blah blah.
    Every time we moved they said we had started a new 12 month contract, i know for a fact it was one of our decorators who signed for the install when we moved here, and it would be nice to think they were going to use that as the cca.

Again apologies and all advice welcome

Re: Virgin Media Default

OK, a little bit slower than i had hoped for, but i have whipped up a letter for virgin, accompanied by a CCA request for good measure.

I have basically assured them i cancelled my services in writing, and it is they who have botched it, and requested the get the finger out and get it sorted.

I have added the CCA request from the templates on here and attached my £1 cheque.

Will just have to wait and see.......................... ..............................

Comment

Steve, my understanding is that they may well be covered by the cca act with regards to hire agreements under the act. I am sure you have phone records that would prove the call was made to them to cancel the contract as well. I am sure I saw a website with regards to default removal so I will have a delve over the next day or so for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nattie View Post
        Steve, my understanding is that they may well be covered by the cca act with regards to hire agreements under the act.

I am sure they are, but, every time we moved they insisted a new 12 month contract started, therefore i believe we would need a new agreement. I know for a fact my missus didnt sign anything, as it was one of the decorators who signed for the install, and i have a feeling that may be the document they hope to rely on.

I am sure you have phone records that would prove the call was made to them to cancel the contract as well.

I have pointed out to them that all our discussions will be recorded, and asked them to take the time to check back, as i am sure that will resolve the matter.

I am sure I saw a website with regards to default removal so I will have a delve over the next day or so for you.

Hopefully they will see the error of there ways, and we wont have a default to remove ;-)
        The amount they are chasing is only around £80, but thats not the point, they continued to bill us after we cancelled, even though we followed the correct procedure.

I have only sent the CCA request as a back up, but i hope they resolve the matter amicably.

it is so infuriating though :argh: but thanks for your advice!

Comment

well, its over a month since i wrote to them, and apart from an acknowledgement letter, we've not heard a peep from them.

I believe they only had 12 working days to comply with the CCA request, so i will need to look into what our next step is

Comment

Have you written to them spelling out everything you have spelt out above ? include copies of letters. Everything apart from the original cancellation seems to have been conducted by telephone thus far.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

The Consumer Credit Act does not apply to telephone or television bills, they are bills for service, not credit agreements.

Therefore, any deadlines set out in the Act will not apply to this account.

Comment

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post
                The Consumer Credit Act does not apply to telephone or television bills, they are bills for service, not credit agreements.

Therefore, any deadlines set out in the Act will not apply to this account.
                I understand what your saying cet, but they issued a default notice under the consumer credit act?, surely if the missus is bound by it so are virgin?

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  Have you written to them spelling out everything you have spelt out above ? include copies of letters. Everything apart from the original cancellation seems to have been conducted by telephone thus far.
                  Yes Ame, the letter i sent a month ago explained fullly everything we had been through an asked for them to bring the matter to a close.
                  I included the CCA request as a response to their Default notice issued under the CCA.

Comment

Originally posted by stevokenevo View Post
                    I understand what your saying cet, but they issued a default notice under the consumer credit act?, surely if the missus is bound by it so are virgin?
                    In this instance, I believe the statutory default notice is sent in order to advise that your account is in default and that submissions have been or will be made to the CRA's.

I am going to be in a similar boat soon, as I cancelled all Virgin Media services [sic] last week and they advised me that I would have to pay over £100 for breach of contract in that I have terminated early.

Have they actually registered a default against your account?

If so, your options to remove this default lie outside of the CCA 1974, that Act cannot help you here. You must insist that VM instruct Equifax plc, Experian Ltd and Callcredit plc to remove all data pertaining to their records on your wife, to the extent that no data entry in relation to Virgin Media will exist on her credit files, although I must warn you, this is a long and tedious process.

Comment

We had an agreement with then (ntl), which included the set top box for TV viewing and phone line.
                      The only agreement we allegedly signed for this service was titled 'Credit Agreement Regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974'

I can't say too much on this but lets say they passed it over to DCA who then chased us for monies owed and after issuing the same requests and reporting them to TS after they failed to respond......well never heard anything since.

:ho::ho:

Comment

Quick update, fired off reminder letter on 20th December.

Received an acknowledgment letter, then nothing till late january.

Received a response which did not address any of my points, and basically said we notice you have an outstanding balance on your account which must be cleared.

****ing ********s!! I dont think they even actually read my letters.

I have sent of another letter, informing them of my dissapointment with the lack of communication, and informing them the have 7 days to resolve the issues before we escalate the complaint further.

Comment

RESULT! :okay:

Received letter yesterday, acknowledging our letter and informing us that as a 'gesture of goodwill' the account has been closed, any amounts have been cleared and they have contacted the CRA's to remove any defaults/negative information.

Never ever did get any kind of response regarding the cca request, but we have the result we were after and thats what matters.

phew

:okay:

Comment

Congratulations!
                            When we love, we always strive to become better than we are.

When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.

Paulo Coelho

Comment

well done stevo :whoo::whoo::first:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X