• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

working hours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working hours

hey, what it is North Cheshire Hospitals has decided to change our working hours without notification, at the looks of things we owe the trust a possible 7.5 hrs every month which we think would make a 6 day working week, the Unions havent been involved, the staff havent been consulted, my question is this, where do we stand?
    Tags: None

Re: working hours

to change your working hours the employer would need to do a consultation period

why are the union not involved

why do you think you will owe the trust 7.5 hours

what are your contracted hours per week

Comment

Hiya Sol

They cannot change your working hours without consultation....but they will try!

Find out who/what started this initiative. Get all affected colleagues to contact their union reps. Find out if an Equalities Impact Assessment was performed and also what consultation was undertaken. (The Union will do this formally)

Each staff member affected needs to formally inform their line managers of their resistance to such changes without consultation.

Even if certain individuals are not with the union, the union will still want to act because they don't take kindly to alterations such as this without their involvement. (Public Sector only of course )
      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Originally posted by keithposty View Post
        to change your working hours the employer would need to do a consultation period

why are the union not involved

why do you think you will owe the trust 7.5 hours

what are your contracted hours per week
        Good post.

Do you have the answers for him Solowka?

Comment

well, the hours they empose are 07:00 - 14:30, 07:00 - 1600, 13:30 - 21:30, 21:00 - 07:00 and 16:00 - 00:00 we will have to do at least one of the odd shifts a week leading up to a deficiet of 7.5 hrs owed.

the staff were not involved, the unions didnt notify the staff despite the letter saying to the contry

our contracted hours are 37.5hrs per week (40 hrs including unpaid break)

Comment

you need to be talking to your rep

changes can be done otherwise with 28 days notice

the options you will have are
            1/ accept the changes
            2/ do a grievance and work under protest
            3/ resign and claim constructive dismissal

during the consultation period they have to justify why the changes are needed

political
            economic
            social
            technological

have they given a reason for the change in hours

Comment

they claimed it would improve service, but the faceless bureaucrat camew from a trust less busy than ours and it is a money saving exercise! 2 nurses have already resigned.

I think they gave us 3 weeks notice, got the email this week and the changes are due to change in the 2nd week of next month

Comment

this is why the union need to be involved

they would demand to see how a restructure would benefit and not just an economy drive which would be justified

check back tomorrow as i feel this shift pattern may infringe on the working time directive unless you have opted out and ill have some more legislation for you

in a nutshell

they have to justify any change

Comment

im off no til wed, but i am aware of noone opting out of the working time directive. any help would be gratefully accepted :-)

but i`ll get intouch with Unison tomorrow

Comment

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/balls-union...103443376.html

Shadow chancellor Ed Balls has urged unions not to fall into what he calls the "Tory trap" by striking over public spending pension cuts. Mr Balls claimed ministers were deliberately trying to provoke the unions into industrial action so they could blame them for the failure of the Government's economic strategy.
                    Writing in the Sunday Mirror, Mr Balls warned it was not in the unions' interests to engage in mass strikes.
                    He said the country did not want to see a return to the "division and confrontation" of the 1980s.
                    "From David Cameron down, Ministers are saying to the trade unions: 'Bring it on'. Like in the 1980s, they seem to be spoiling for a fight, goading the unions and trying to provoke strikes," he wrote........................

(Mainly re pensions, but to do with cuts overall)
                    Last edited by charitynjw; 20th June 2011, 07:59:AM.
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                    gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Good clear advice for the OP Keithposty.
                      I wonder why Unison aren't jumping up and down already?

Comment

I was going to bring up WTD. Basically all necessary staff that incl hospitals (chefs, and other hospitality workers also fall into this catagory) are excluded from the WTD which means you work as and when the business dictates.

You will have signed this waiver within your contract check I bet its there... Every nurse and doctor and emergency crew I know are opted out of the WTD.

Comment

The Only PeOPLE Excluded From The Working Time Directive Are The Emergency Services

Gone Are The Days Of Doctors On 80 Hour Shift Patterns

Comment

REally, funny because I know hospitality workers are, and nurses... are they not?

Comment

If You Opt Out Of The Wtd Then You Are Only Permitted By Law To A Max 70 Hour Week

You Have To Have A 10 Hour Break Between Shifts
                              11 Hours If A Driver And A 24 Hour Break Once A Week

The Only Exception Is If You Do Long And Shorts Shift Patterns or contenental

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X