• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Registered disabled & being harassed by JBW :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registered disabled & being harassed by JBW :(

Hi all i am a registered disabled woman, i have disabled class logbook and tax. I have been very ill and had 5 operations in the space of 6 months late last year and i am def at fault for not dealing with my post mainly due to the fact i have been on meds that are 20 times stronger than morphine which made me sleep most of the day and just added to my depression, i have carers and rarely leave the house on my own and use walking sticks as cant walk un aided.
    The JBW bailiffs turned up at my door last week on Tues 13.6, at 7.55 am saw a letter being put in my letter box so went to see what it was, i opened my door to see the bailiff just about to drive off and i saw my car clamped, i called out to him and he came out of his van and said he has now clamped my car and for that honour he has charged me nearly £300. I burst into tears and told him my car/tax is a disabled class, i asked him why did he not ring my bell b4 clamping he said, firstly he cant knock before 8 am and secondly it is their policy to clamp first.
    I was in shock and could not stop crying he then said he could not deal with me crying and took the clamp off after making a call.
    He then said i should send all my papers into them proving i was registered disabled and have a carer and they would refer it back to Islington borough.
    I then called the bailiffs and explained i would soon end off the proof to them that i was registered disabled, i asked them what is their policy towards vulnerable people and they said as far as they are concerend my disability mean nothing and even though i am on benefits and house bounds it makes no difference to them.

Today i get a letter from them dated 14/6 a day after i called them, and it states as i have failed to contact them i must be avoiding payment so they have now sent me a notice of removal, and say "we dont require you to be at home but we prefer you to be there as we are now going to attend your property with a van, enter your premises and remove your good. I will be chared for a tow truck,bailiff and removal van.
    I am so scared and dont know what to do, pls pls can someone help me, i feel so vulnerable and scared and dont knowwho can help me.
    This is a break down ofn their charges when they came to my house for the one and only time.

PENALTY CHARGE/COURT COSTS £185
    SENDING LETTER £16.20
    LEVY/ATTENDANCE TO LEVY £57.00
    OTHER(CLAMPING FEE HE AID) £175.00
    VAT £49.64

TOTAL 482.84

Anyone who can offer me any help i would truly appreciate it i am scared to leave a window open for fear of them climbing in.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Roch; 18th June 2011, 21:14:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Registered disabled & being harassed by JBW

Morning all, hardly slept at all last nght as kept on looking out of the window to see if my car was still outside. I am scared and worried can someone pl give me some advice,who shall i call and how can i prevent them from coming with a van and trying to gain entry, and if they dont gain entry then they will till slap another few hundred on to the bill, i am so worried.
    Sorry if i am waffling on in both of my posts but i am petrified of what is going to happen next.
    Thanks

Comment

Hi Roch,

I don't think bailiffs can call on a Sunday.
      I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will post soon with advice.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thanks for replying,I left the hOuse with my friend at six this morning as I am so scared and don't know what to do, so hope some one pops along and can offer me some advice, thanks n take care x

Comment

Hi Roch,

What is the debt to the council actually for?

Do not let the bailiffs in and do not let them get to you. They are breaching all the guidelines as you are clearly classed as a vulnerable person.

Did you get any proof of postage or send the letter recorded delivery?

Islington are a nasty council to deal with. I helped someone on here earlier this year to get them off her back and they were a bit of a pain.

Have you read the Bailiff Guide by Amy in the Bailiff's section? Have a read.

You need to phone the council. Try and get through to the Head of Revenues and explain the situation - back it up in writing or via Email so you have proof, and ask for the same back. If you send a letter get at least Proof of Postage.

Tell them what has happened and your circumstances and they will have to call off the bailiffs or ensure they act appropriately to you. After this initial visit I'd be inclined to push to get them called off and the debt back with the Council.

This means of course that you will need today to work out a reasonable, affordable and sustainable repayment proposal to them.

Will be able to advise better when we know what the debt is for.

I know it's easier said than done, but please try not to worry.

Comment

I woudl contact your local councillors and/or your MP by email today. Some of the Islington Councillors are helpful.

They are in breach of their own guidelines by sending bailiffs to the home of someone who is disabled. I would ask the MP to refer the matter to the Local Government Ombudsman regarding this conduct, and I would try to get the debt back to the council to negotiate with the help of MP or councillor what is owed and how to pay it in manageable installments, as has been suggested. Council tax bills are quite often wrong and then you are pursued aggressively for the wrong amount, which you may not actually owe anyway.
            Am thinking of you and wishing you all the best.

Comment

Hi ty so much for your post, on the day that this happened I was actually in the Whittington hospital and just either waiting for an op or just had an op and was very I'll. My son had been driving my car on learners insurance with my best friend sitting with me so I presume this happened on one of the occasions he came to visit me, I really can't remember if i called them or not when I got the first PCn as I would of poss still be in hospital or just out. I was on horrendous pain patches called phentanyl which are an anaesthetic and caused me to be so drugged up that I don't remember anything at all and could barely keep my eyes open. I had piles of post and truly I can't remember if I read them or not as I was so drugged up,I stoped these pain patches just a month ago and too be honest I have not Been in the right frame of mind to deal with anything as the symptoms of coming off the Meds have been horrendous and caused major depression to add to all my mobility probs I have now. I know it's my fault for not dealing with the situation but some days i could barely get out of bed, becuase of pain and also withdrawal symptoms as i just threw the patches away without coming of them gradually. I have bad mobility problems, use a walking stick and have ostiarthritis of both knees,and in my spine,also sciatica and a torn disc and i am waiting for a knee repacement op some time this year and all this at the age of 43
              Last edited by Roch; 19th June 2011, 08:37:AM.

Comment

Hi Springer - good to have you here. I've noticed a few of your posts!

In this case I honestly think Roch is best following my advice first, and leaving yours in case we have to escalate the matter further. I do however think there may be good cause for attempting to claim a goodwill gesture from them towards the distress that Roch has genuinely suffered.

The complaint is a point well made. The more we can complain about the misconduct of bailiffs the better.

Comment

Thank you Springer for your helpful advice and if i have to take it further then i will def follow your advice.

Comment

Hello Roch,

Have you asked your son and your friend whether there was a PCN on the windscreen of the car that day? Did you receive anything in the post at all about this, prior to the bailiff's visit?

Do you have copies of any hospital notes or appointment cards from the day of your operation. If you do, you should send these to the council, rather than the bailiffs, as soon as you can with a covering letter explaining the situation fully to them. They need to remove the fees immediately.

The bailiffs cannot clamp or remove your vehicle since it is displaying a tax clearly showing "disabled" and they know it, they just hope that you do not.

All the bailiff contracts contain provisions for dealing with "vulnerable situations." Most contracts include the same categories as is contained within the The National Standards for Enforcement Agents, this list includes the following:-

• Disabled
                    • The debtor or the debtor’s partner is suffering from a long term illness
                    • Single parent
                    • Expectant mothers in the late stages of pregnancy
                    • Elderly and/or infirm
                    • Individuals suffering from mental confusion
                    • People who are either blind or deaf
                    • Persons where there has been a recent bereavement in the family
                    • Those persons whose first language is not English
                    • People who are in receipt of benefits

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
                      Hi Roch,

What is the debt to the council actually for?
                      I think its becuase someone turned into a no entry street, but i was def in hospital then.

Do not let the bailiffs in and do not let them get to you. They are breaching all the guidelines as you are clearly classed as a vulnerable person.
                      I def wont let them in but worried about clamping my car again, so parking at my friends house.

Did you get any proof of postage or send the letter recorded delivery?
                      I did not send any letters as due to being so ill on top of my normal helth probs was not able to deal with anything.

Islington are a nasty council to deal with. I helped someone on here earlier this year to get them off her back and they were a bit of a pain.
                      Hope i can deal with them

Have you read the Bailiff Guide by Amy in the Bailiff's section? Have a read.
                      Yes i have

You need to phone the council. Try and get through to the Head of Revenues and explain the situation - back it up in writing or via Email so you have proof, and ask for the same back. If you send a letter get at least Proof of Postage
                      I will call them first thing in the morning

Tell them what has happened and your circumstances and they will have to call off the bailiffs or ensure they act appropriately to you. After this initial visit I'd be inclined to push to get them called off and the debt back with the Council.
                      What are the chances they will do that

This means of course that you will need today to work out a reasonable, affordable and sustainable repayment proposal to them.
                      |No prob can do that today, does that also mean the bailiffs exorbitant charges as well.

Will be able to advise better when we know what the debt is for.
                      Making an illegal turn

I know it's easier said than done, but please try not to worry.
                      I cant help not worry i am so scared and feel sick with worry, but thank you for ur advice, i will post tomorow after speaking to the council.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
                        Hello Roch,

Have you asked your son and your friend whether there was a PCN on the windscreen of the car that day? Did you receive anything in the post at all about this, prior to the bailiff's visit?
                        Tbh i have been so down and in so much pain i have done the stupid thing and ignored post, there was no ticket it must of been a camera.

Do you have copies of any hospital notes or appointment cards from the day of your operation. If you do, you should send these to the council, rather than the bailiffs, as soon as you can with a covering letter explaining the situation fully to them. They need to remove the fees immediately.
                        No but i could get a letter from my doctor that the hospital sent to them after my release
                        The bailiffs cannot clamp or remove your vehicle since it is displaying a tax clearly showing "disabled" and they know it, they just hope that you do not.
                        They did clamp my vechicle but when i came out and they looked at the disabled car tax they un clamped it but still charged me i think £175 for the priviledge, does that mean that was illegal, i thought they could clamp but not tow away.

All the bailiff contracts contain provisions for dealing with "vulnerable situations." Most contracts include the same categories as is contained within the The National Standards for Enforcement Agents, this list includes the following:-

• Disabled
                        • The debtor or the debtor’s partner is suffering from a long term illness
                        • Single parent
                        • Expectant mothers in the late stages of pregnancy
                        • Elderly and/or infirm
                        • Individuals suffering from mental confusion
                        • People who are either blind or deaf
                        • Persons where there has been a recent bereavement in the family
                        • Those persons whose first language is not English
                        • People who are in receipt of benefits

Well i fit into four of those caterories but when i called up the office as far as they are concerend me being vulnerable counted for nothing.

Comment

If this was a camera, you should have received notification in the post and since you are aware what the fine is for, you must have seen some evidence of the PCN's existence.

As above, you need to get a letter written to the council as soon as possible asking for the fees to be removed and the PCN to be reverted back to £185. If you need any help with this, then post up a draft and we can take a look.

Comment

That's because you dealt with the bailiffs rather than the council. Bailffs are a law unto themselves (or rather think they are). They rely on you not knowing your rights, but you've come to the right place. I assure you if anyone can resolve this for you it is Amy, so I'll bow out and leave you in her hands - she's far more knowledgeable than anyone else on this site re bailiffs. You're in safe hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
                              If this was a camera, you should have received notification in the post and since you are aware what the fine is for, you must have seen some evidence of the PCN's existence.

As above, you need to get a letter written to the council as soon as possible asking for the fees to be removed and the PCN to be reverted back to £185. If you need any help with this, then post up a draft and we can take a look.
                              I am aware now becuase of all this i with my best friend sifted through all post and found it, like i say its all my fault for just ignoring all my post so i can only blame myself. Could you if poss post a rough copy for me as tbh at the mo i stuggle to even remember basic things at the moment.
                              I can kick myself for being so stupid and just ignoiring my post and not taking responsibilty for hings but i just could not cope.
                              Thanks and take care

------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                              Originally posted by Caspar View Post
                              That's because you dealt with the bailiffs rather than the council. Bailffs are a law unto themselves (or rather think they are). They rely on you not knowing your rights, but you've come to the right place. I assure you if anyone can resolve this for you it is Amy, so I'll bow out and leave you in her hands - she's far more knowledgeable than anyone else on this site re bailiffs. You're in safe hands.
                              Thank you for your post, yes bailiffs are def a law unto themselves.
                              Last edited by Roch; 19th June 2011, 10:11:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X