• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Marks & Spencers Credit Card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marks & Spencers Credit Card

Hi All,

I have an arrangement in place for M & S and I'm paying them £15 a month and have been doing so for some time now. My arranement expired and I had to call them to setup an new on e explain my current circumstances. With this debt, I have a default on CF a few year ago and all interest has stopped. Great...

My account is still with M & S and with their debt department. Now when I spoke to them, they asked my situation, which I explained its still the same and can still only make £15 per month. They then asked have I got arrangements with all my creditors, to which I said yes as this is true. They then asked about a payment that I had made to a creditor last month which was more than what I am paying them. This is true as I have had no issues with this account as its in credit and a low amount is owed on the debt. They said that I should contact this creditor and offer a reduced payment so that I could pay them more.

Now, M & S must have looked at my credit file to get this information. Are they allowed to do this? Also, If I have stuck to the payments, does it really matter that someone else is getting more money? Also, why should I ask a creditor to make a reduced payment when the amount owed is really low and I am not struggling to pay them?

Finally, they have agreed to the £15 per month for another 6 months which is great, but what happens after the 6 months?
    Tags: None

Re: Marks & Spencers Credit Card

I seemed to have waffled on a bit as I had so much to get out. My question is does M & S have the right to check my credit file to see what I'm paying other creditors and ask me to pay more money?

Also, can they force me to pay a creditor for which I have no rblems with as in credit, less money so that I can pay then more?

Last edited by Tya; 3rd June 2011, 05:24:AM.

Comment

Can anyone advise me on this? Pretty please...

Comment

I would imagine that they can access your credit file as they are a creditor. If your arrangement had just expired I don't think it would be unreasonable of them to check your file in consideration of renewing the arrangement.

I'm not sure that asking you to reduce a payment to another creditor in order to increase payments to them is necessarily wrong but they can't force you - it's not their debt.

You're doing the right thing by keeping in contact with them and appearing willing.

Have you had to complete an Income & Expenditure form for them?

Comment

Hi Exc,

No I haven't had to complete an I/E for them. I've just made sure that I kept my payments up.
          If I refuse to speak to my other creditor to reduce my payments with them to pay M & S more, do you know what they cn or can't do? Do they have to except my arrangement still, or do you think it would be better to offer them a £1 or 2 more than the other creditor to keep them sweet?

I have been very luck so far, and would like to keep it that way.

Comment

They can't force you to negotiate a lower arrangement with the other creditor and they appear to have accepted this by agreeing to continue your arrangement for a further 6 months . I think they were just attempting to maximise your payments to them so I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X