• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Aviva Insurance Company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aviva Insurance Company

Hello all,

I would jus like to bring this matter to everyones' attention.

Aviva Insurance have recently "out-sourced" their payment arrangements to India. We pay our business van insurance bt direct debit and for two months they have not taken any payment. They refuse to talk to us direct as we used a broker some years ago to set this up.

Our broker has spoken to them and it is a shambles apparently. We are assured that we remain on cover and we do have a new certificate of insurance. Our brokers have said that they have received no commission for a while and they have customers whose direct debits are now in arrears since January of this year.

I would recommend that anyone in this position checks thoroughly either direct or via their broker that their cover remains in place!

With the way the police behave towards motorists and their elementary computer checks on you then it might be wise to be sure of your ground.

regards
    Garlok.
    Tags: None

Re: Aviva Insurance Company

We switched our Car Insurance and Building/Contents Insurance to Aviva this year.

This was done online via a cashback site.

So far all payments up to an including May have been taken on time but I'll definitely keep an eye on our account to see if any problems occur.

CJ

Comment

Anyone that wants to check before they drive go here.

http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

This is the same database the police use, I use it every month one week after my payment has gone though as you never know if your cover has been withdrawn.
      If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

bear in mind also that Aviva record missed premiums with callcredit...

Comment

You certainly want to keep a check to ensure that all payments are made.

We had a situation with Aviva on our buildings insurance about 18months ago found that we were off cover because the DD was not collected. My oh had spoken to them and they failed to make sufficient notes on their system.

The consequence was that we were without cover for 6 weeks before a letter arrived, so I wrote to the CEO chapter and verse, not only was we put back on cover retrospectively, we received a hamper as well and the CEO made a full enquiry and found that there was a definate problems at their end with their staff which they were addressing and having to put in training for them.

It is mainly because they use call centres and these call centre staff can only use chanel vision and do not generally fully understand the implications if they fail to make full notes after a telephone conversation.

have a read here my story with Aviva http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ighlight=aviva
          Last edited by TUTTSI; 20th May 2011, 17:12:PM.

Comment

It is worth remembering that they do have telephone recordings of all conversations when you telephone them and this is how the CEO's office were able to to check the validity of our complaint. It could have had very serious consequences if we would have had a burst pipe for instance suring that 6 weeks that we did not have cover until they reinstated. The same goes if you are driving a car and believe you are covered and they have cancelled your cover without informing you and you had a serious accident.

Comment

have you checked your callcredit file tuttsi? it may be their mistake but they may have plonked "x" missed payments on it. worth checking.

Comment

It is all sorted now thanks... the CEO sorted it all out.

Having said that how do I check the callcredit file????

Originally posted by The Debt Star View Post
                have you checked your callcredit file tuttsi? it may be their mistake but they may have plonked "x" missed payments on it. worth checking.

Comment

The same goes if you are driving a car and believe you are covered and they have cancelled your cover without informing you and you had a serious accident.

And that is the reason why I always make full use of ASKMID, it takes seconds to check and could save you a heap of trouble later
                  If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

Just a quick update. we have this morning had a letter from Aviva.

"your policy may have been affected by a recent system error which may have impacted the collection of your premium."

The error has now been corrected and the remaining monthly payments on your policy will be adjusted accordingly etc etc."

This letter has been signed by PHIL HITCHCOX Corporate Sales and Service Operations Director. The contact telephone he has given is:- 0800 068 5438.

I have not tried it myself but understand from our broker that this will get you through to a non English speaking indian phone jockey.

Which now raises the legal question of the Data Protection Act. It is a provision of the Act that any personal data may not be shared with any person or organisation outside the geographical boundaries of the EU without that person's express permission. I know I have never signed anything allowing them to take this action and this express permission is not embodied in my original policy.

So perhaps any Aviva employee above phone jockey status would like to explain this properly to us all.

regards
                    Garlok

Comment

Originally posted by Garlok View Post
                      This letter has been signed by PHIL HITCHCOX Corporate Sales and Service Operations Director. The contact telephone he has given is:- 0800 068 5438.

I have not tried it myself but understand from our broker that this will get you through to a non English speaking indian phone jockey.

Which now raises the legal question of the Data Protection Act. It is a provision of the Act that any personal data may not be shared with any person or organisation outside the geographical boundaries of the EU without that person's express permission. I know I have never signed anything allowing them to take this action and this express permission is not embodied in my original policy.
                      I believe you may be mistaken - link

Comment

SCHEDULE 4E+W+S+N.I. Cases where the eighth principle does not apply

1The data subject has given his consent to the transfer. Consent not given

2The transfer is necessary—
                        (a)for the performance of a contract between the data subject and the data controller, or

Unnecessary as the contract existed and performance by both parties was continuous

(b)for the taking of steps at the request of the data subject with a view to his entering into a contract with the data controller.

As data subject, no such request had been made

3The transfer is necessary
                        (a)for the conclusion of a contract between the data controller and a person other than the data subject which—

Depending on which way you interpret conclusion, the contract endures but has been successfully agreed, or that contract endures and has not been ended (concluded) Therefore unnecessary.

(i)is entered into at the request of the data subject, or

No such request exists or has existed

(ii)is in the interests of the data subject, or

It is to the data subject's disadvantage and inconvenience and it has been concluded in general that by the EU IT commissioners that Indian call centres are insecure

(b)for the performance of such a contract.

Unnecessary as the performance of the contract exists and existed by both parties.

4(1)The transfer is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest.E+W+S+N.I.
                        (2)The [F1 Secretary of State] may by order specify—
                        (a)circumstances in which a transfer is to be taken for the purposes of sub-paragraph (1) to be necessary for reasons of substantial public interest, and
                        (b)circumstances in which a transfer which is not required by or under an enactment is not to be taken for the purpose of sub-paragraph (1) to be necessary for reasons of substantial public interest.

It is not a matter of grave national security, intelligence or in the general public interest that payment for my business van insurance is not made from a UK or EU based organisation.

regards
                        Garlok

Comment

I believe that the rogues at Aviva would argue that it was necessary for the continued performance of their contract with you.

Mind you, I also dislike Indian call centres, not least of which because so many of their employees seem to share the ethos that their company cannot possibly have made a mistake.

Comment

Agreed CC. I can't find it now but when I first tried to study the Lisbon Treaty manuscript I am sure it says somewhere in there that as EU citizens we are entitled to discuss any "call centre" matter with a call centre located geographically within your own country and with an operative whose FIRST language is that of your own native language.

In fact it was the aggressive threatening "holier than thou" behaviour of Indian call centres most of whom could only read a script and did not speak English at all that started us off the road to exercising our consumer rights.

Now their clients one certain bank get nothing at all with the help of good solicitors.

regards
                            Garlok

Comment

Originally posted by Garlok View Post
                              In fact it was the aggressive threatening "holier than thou" behaviour of Indian call centres most of whom could only read a script and did not speak English at all that started us off the road to exercising our consumer rights.
                              one's heart sinks when a call gets put thru to India. And it doesn't matter which company or product provider it is either.

you should try owing british gas money and talking to a call centre in india. aint nice, aint nice AT ALL.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X