• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advantis Credit Services

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advantis Credit Services

Hello all,

I too have been sent threatening red letters from Advantis Credit who purport to be claiming upwards of 150 pounds on behalf of British Telecom for a previous account that I have held with them.

I have spoken to BT (who actually owe ME money) on several occasions regarding the accounts (3 previous ones) in question and they, having acknowledged that I am in credit, have advised me to obtain the originating request from themselves to Advantis Credit regarding the aforementioned debt.

It has been seven weeks since I requested this information from Advantis Credit with no reply. I took a week off work, starting Monday, to sort this out. After many calls to Advantis Credit over the past few days I had had no luck.

Eventually, on day three, after spending over an hour on the phone, I got to speak to a 'supervisor' who reliably informed me that the information that I have requested is sent to them in Excel format and cannot be easily retrieved from their system.

It was at this point that I said I would phone him every day, all day, from hereon in and complain to whomsoever answered until I got to speak to him and then complain some more.

Four hours later, to my surprise, the supervisor called me back to let me know that they had 'found' the originating request and it would be in the post that very day.

I am still waiting, but still hopeful.

I guess what I'm offering is not an answer but suggesting that complaining thoroughly and completely relentlessly at least gets some sort of result.

I will post again on receipt of my reply from Advantis Credit to update you on the outcome of this.
    Last edited by thepoon; 27th May 2011, 22:04:PM.

Comment

*** Update ***

Received a call from the Wiltshire Police Tuesday saying that after investigation the telephone number I was asked to call, and enquiring with the Country Courts and the Bailiffs Register, that they are sending a Police Office to me on Wednesday to take a statement and copy of the letters and notes left by the mystery "so called" Bailiff from Advantis with a view to charging both Advantis and the mystery Bailiff with Fraud and Deception.

Be advised anyone who received anything from Advantis with a request to call this number:

01 793 875847

This is a con, no letters, not a bailiff not anything to deliver, just a fraudulent and decptive way of finding out who you are and who lives at the address or to scare you into paying a debt.

Comment

Outstanding !!!

Comment

*** FURTHER UPDATE ***

I have been advised by my solicitors to now proceed with action against Advantis and BT for breach of the DPA 1998.

The solicitors have been instructed to take what ever action is deemed required.

Trading Standards and all other interested parties have also been advised.

Will keep you updated on this situation

Comment

*** UPDATE ***

After the visit by the Wiltshire Constabulary today (Wednesday) it has been deemed that this "so called" Bailiff has broken the law and the Police are now investigating with the intentions of prosecuting this person for fraud and deception.

I have been issued with a Crime Number.

I now hope that the OFT, TS, FSA and the FOS now take action against Advantis and thier client BT who are jointly culpable.

Will update again when the police confirm what action(s) are to be taken

Again thanks to all who have given me the support that I needed when I needed it.

Comment

Have you learned yet whether the semi-literate oaf is a certificated baliff (sic) ?

Comment

Hi CleverClogs

I would assume the answer would be not certified or even any type of Bailiff as the local police do a pre investigation before requesting a Statement so ensuring that thier time is not wasted

By all accounts, after googling his telephone number I found many occasions where the telephone number used may be a "tracer" number, that is the old "Parcel that cannot be delivered", "Message for you", "I work For the WXY Bank / Co. Litigation Dept" thing

Comment

Absolutely brilliant. Im so glad the police are involved, congratulations for pushing this and thank you very much for taking the problem as far as possible. Its nice to see a DCA cross the line into criminality where the police can make a move. If the police had not made a move, then this could have become another 'standard' (yet not admitted) practice.

Its yet another example of a DCA thinking they can do what they want and then deny all knowledge later. Whats the betting when this individual case comes out in the wash that it turns out that the DCA *did* in fact instruct this 'Bailiff' to call and the DCA fall back to the old lines of 'isolated incident, retraining required, sorry for any inconvenience. Wont happen again, honest guv'

This culture of letting corporates get away with breaking the law by them saying 'sorry', 'promising' never to do it again and 'training' staff is infuriating me. If I were found trying to extory money from someone by writing letters, calling at their door or phoning them (while plastering my personal details all over the communication I send), I would be in front of a judge in 5 minutes flat.

I bet the line 'Sorry' would not cut it with the judge if we were to do that.
                  Advice given is offered as personal opinion only. I always recommend you seek professional legal advice.

Negative, I am a meat popsicle

Comment

Originally posted by Ready2Run View Post
                    I would assume the answer would be not certified
                    Are quite you sure that alleged baliff (sic) is not certifiable?

I'd have said he was, as he appears to have severe delusions of adequacy.

or even any type of Bailiff as the local police do a pre investigation before requesting a Statement so ensuring that thier time is not wasted
                    One would have hoped they'd checked.

By all accounts, after googling his telephone number I found many occasions where the telephone number used may be a "tracer" number, that is the old "Parcel that cannot be delivered", "Message for you", "I work For the WXY Bank / Co. Litigation Dept" thing
                    Perhaps that is what baliffs are paid to do - to annoy, upset and intimidate people by pretending to be a bailiff?

Comment

CleverCloggs

I can assure you that he is NOT a Bailiff, I have been waiting two weeks for the police to get back to me and when they called they appologised for taking so long as they were required by law to see if this person was actually a Bailiff (if so they would not have touched this as it would have been a Civil matter not criminal) and if there was any court orders against me again a Civil matter not criminal). I mean that in every county court in the country not just here.

Comment

I can assure you that he is NOT a Bailiff,
                        I know that, but he had never claimed to be a bailiff, had he?

He seems to have claimed to be a baliff, which you inferred to denote a bailiff which he was not. He may or may not have intended, hoped or calculated that such an inference would be made, or he might have invented that word to denote "a mean-minded, fat, sad, old pillock with no real powers whatever but who wishes he had some authority to make people do as he tells them".

Would you have drawn the same inference if he had claimed to be a billiff, a belliff or a bolliff?

I have been waiting two weeks for the police to get back to me
                        I never believed that mere happenstance was the reason Ms Blyton named her policeman Mr Plod.

and when they called they appologised for taking so long as they were required by law to see if this person was actually a Bailiff (if so they would not have touched this as it would have been a Civil matter not criminal) and if there was any court orders against me again a Civil matter not criminal). I mean that in every county court in the country not just here.
                        There I must disagree, as the misrepresentation(s) made would still be one ir more criminal offences even if the addle-pated oaf had been a certificate-holding bailiff; three obvious misrepresentations are:
                        1. Claiming that a CCJ had been awarded in favour of Advantis
                        2. Claiming that a warrant of execution had been issued to enforce that alleged CCJ
                        3. Claiming to be acting on the basis of that alleged warrant

Then there could be a charge of having uttered a counterfeit instrument - that silly note on which his misleading and/or fraudulent claims had been made.

Perhaps, if/when he is arrested, he should claim to be the Emperor Napoleon? He might have a chance if he pleaded insanity.

Comment

I know that, but he had never claimed to be a bailiff, had he?

He seems to have claimed to be a baliff, which you inferred to denote a bailiff which he was not.

I see the point there myself, however mis-spelling the word Bailiff on a scribbled note does not mean he was not trying to purport to be one. Its pretty clear that from the note he was attempting to purport to be a Bailiff of the County Court acting for an amount owed. I think he would have a very hard time arguing to any (sane) Judge that because the word 'Bailiff' was spelt 'Baliff' that he was not purporting to be one. Mind you, Judges have been known to make some rather interesting rulings

Advice given is offered as personal opinion only. I always recommend you seek professional legal advice.

Negative, I am a meat popsicle

Comment

Not sure w hat this DCA are doing but I have today received a letter as per attachment Amended Advantis 17 Jun 2011 (Amended to keep name and address off only)

I have since replied with a SAR request as follows:

Advantis Credit Services
                            Minton Hollins Building
                            Old Shenton Road
                            Stoke on Trent
                            Staffordshire

Your Ref: 999999

Dear sir or madam
                            Thank you for your letter which, as you are not the original creditor and have not purchased the debt the actions that you quote are un-enforceable. It seems as though you do not understand what my previous letters have been telling you. I revoke your access to my home under English Common Law and should you send a doorstep caller I will have him arrested for the tort of Trespass. Also take note that your client British Telecom is aware of the situation.

Having already sent details to the OFT (Ref: EPIC/ENQ/E/105798, FSA, Trading Standards (ref: SW4020154) and Wiltshire Police (Case Ref: 54110042217) and the FOS I see I need to send further details to the relevant authorities.

Please find attached a Postal Order for £10 as I now require a SAR (Subject Access Request) and wish for copies of the following:

Accordingly, kindly provide full and complete copies of any and all data you hold which relates to me and my entire history with your company. I have enclosed the statutory maximum of £10.

For the avoidance of doubt, take note that the enclosed Postal Order is payment for the fee relating to my Subject Access Request only and not a payment of any other kind or to be used for any other purpose. If you do not require a fee in order to process my Subject Access Request then kindly return my Postal Order

For your convenience I have detailed below a list of what I require, although this is not an exhaustive list by any means and is just an example of some of the information I require with regard to any accounts I may have had or may still have with your company.

Also note that this now places the account in query which you must now refrain from any further action until resolved.

Any breach of the OFT guidelines will be reported and used in any court you take against me against you and British telecom as joint defendants.

1. Computer screen notes relating to the conduct of my account (not generated reports, these can be amended once generated)
                            2. Computer screen notes relating to transactions that have gone through my account (not generated reports, these can be amended once generated)
                            3. Internal messages or notes relating to the conduct of my account whether on scrap paper or internal memos, this means ALL notes
                            4. Internal messages or notes relating to transactions that have gone through my account whether on scrap paper or internal memos, this means ALL notes
                            5. Recordings in MP3 or WMA format of any and ALL telephone conversations including the telephone numbers and who was called, whether internal or external, relating to my account
                            6. Copies of any e-mail are, along with the email headers, or other electronic communications, whether internal or external, relating my account
                            7. Copies of all letters relating to my account
                            8. All information relating to litigation that has taken place on my account
                            9. A detailed statement of account showing a breakdown of all costs charged, showing in each case the reason for the cost and the actual cost against that item
                            10. Copies of all reviews conducted relating to my account
                            11. For any cost which relates to an attendance fee, kindly state the date and precise time of the attendance and the name of the so called agent or certificated bailiff making each attendance with the name of the county court where the relevant bailiff obtained his or her certificate
                            12. Copies of all relevant paperwork created as a result of any and all visits ever made to me along with details of the results of each visit
                            13. Copies of any and all documentation issued to me or left at my property after each visit was made including details of the date and precise time of the visit and the charges incurred; this must include the name of the agent or so called bailiff(s) who attended
                            14. A signed copy of the terms and conditions of the service provided by British Telecom
                            15. The Letter Of Assignment with the proof of posting to me and the signed proof of receipt by me as required by the OFT guidelines

I trust that the above is clear and should you be in any doubt as to your obligations as a Data Controller, then I would advise that you consult your corporate counsel.

As detailed above, I have enclosed the statutory maximum fee of £10. You have 12 days in which to comply.

If there is specific information which you require in order to satisfy yourself as to my identity, please let me know by return. However, please note that the above address is the one which you visited me at and at which you’re so called bailiff tried to relieve me of the sum of £218.86

yours faithfully

Anon E Muss (computer generated signature to prevent fraudulent lifting)
                            Copy to British Telecom
                            A copy has also been sent to BT detailing yet again thier agents irrisponsible collection methods

Comment

Not sure w hat this DCA are doing but I have today received a letter as per attachment Amended Advantis 17 Jun 2011 (Amended to keep name and address off only)
                              Having seen that "NOTICE OF INTENT TO COMMENCE DEBT COLLECTION ACTION" (sic) I believe it should be referred to your local trading standards wallahs as it seems Advantis like to send documents which, at first sight, may appear to have been issued by a court.

This is a bit naughty and might not be quite lawful.

I revoke your access to my home under English Common Law and should you send a doorstep caller I will have him arrested for the tort of Trespass.
                              You cannot gave someone arrested for the tort of trespass, nor can one lawfully do so oneself. You would have the right to use reasonable force to eject the oaf from your property but no more than that - as that foreign gent learned a year or two ago, there is no law in the UK that permits one to use a cricket bat or any other form of cudgel to wallop someone repeatedly who had improperly entered one's property.

I believe a drenching with water from a hose-pipe or water pistol might be acceptable, if the oaf had been clearly warned to depart hence or be soaked.

If the oaf turns out to be the so-called "baliff", it may be possible for the plods to arrest him for the crime of harassment.

As detailed above, I have enclosed the statutory maximum fee of £10. You have 12 days in which to comply.
                              No; like Noah, they have 40 days; Data Protection Act 1998, section 7, (8) and (10) - link.
                              Last edited by Amethyst; 13th April 2014, 17:20:PM.

Comment

Actually Cleverclogs, the tort of Trespass is an arrestable offence although it has not been used in the UK for about 25 years and my policeman friend says that they would need some mitigating evidence for his arrest in todays world.

However, that is not why I came back but with the reference to the so called Bailiff and the BT account.

Seems as I requested an SAR concerning this debt Advantis have hurriedly pass it back to the original creditor. I now learn that BT have previously passed this on firstly with TDX (whoever they are) and then on to Moorcroft which both have never made any contact with me.

Still waiting to see what happens with the so called Bailiff and it seems as though BT have just closed thier eyes and ears about this as I have not had any response from them.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X