• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Pay Slip Query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay Slip Query

My son started a new job on week 50 of the last tax year.

His was paid a week in hand on his previous job, so his final wage was paid on week 51. He handed his P45 into his new employer, but has been taxed on a BR basis. Shouldn't his new employer have applied the code number shown on his P45?

Secondly I cant make much sense of his pay slip.

It shows under basic pay xxx number of hours at xxxx = xxxx

The next column says EXCHALL (whatever that means) = xxxx

The 2 added together = his gross wage

Deductions show Tax of xxxx
    NI of xxxx
    EXCHDD (whatever that means) of xxxx

The EXCHDD amount is always greater than the EXCHALL amount, which in turn reduces his basic pay.

Does anyone have a clue as to what these codes mean please?
    Tags: None

Re: Pay Slip Query

Originally posted by CYNthesys View Post
    My son started a new job on week 50 of the last tax year.

His was paid a week in hand on his previous job, so his final wage was paid on week 51. He handed his P45 into his new employer, but has been taxed on a BR basis. Shouldn't his new employer have applied the code number shown on his P45?
    They should do but firms can be quite slow in doing so. You might want to give HMRC a quick call to get them to send something to the firm(I did with my current job when I was taxed BR. It was sorted by the following pay date).
    Secondly I cant make much sense of his pay slip.

It shows under basic pay xxx number of hours at xxxx = xxxx

The next column says EXCHALL (whatever that means) = xxxx

The 2 added together = his gross wage

Deductions show Tax of xxxx
    NI of xxxx
    EXCHDD (whatever that means) of xxxx

The EXCHDD amount is always greater than the EXCHALL amount, which in turn reduces his basic pay.

Does anyone have a clue as to what these codes mean please?

I have no idea what EXCHDD means....
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

At the risk of my sounding thick...wouldn't it just be simpler for him to ask his employer to explain his payslip?
      Is no longer here

Comment

He already has done, but its still as clear as mud.

Employer seems to be saying that these codes represent non tax deductible income, (often used when the employee is in in receipt of non-taxable benefits) and that by using these codes he is paying less tax than he normally would whilst on a BR code

Ive had a look at his payslips and can see that he isnt paying tax on the whole of his gross wage, eg if he earnt £300 he would would pay £60 tax whilst on BR code, The amount of tax he is paying seems to be reduced by the difference between the EXCH ALL and the EXCH DD amount.

Seems very odd to me ?????

Comment

thins like expenses (mileage etc) may be paid as part of wages but are paid gross, no tax deducted. Also pension contributions would be non taxable.
          Last edited by WendyB; 13th May 2011, 00:20:AM.
          Is no longer here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X