• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Vodafone Store: refusing a warranty repair??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vodafone Store: refusing a warranty repair??

Hi everyone, hope somebody can help to sort this out. Its my daughter-in-law who has the problem, I am hoping to find her some helpful solution.

Ok. She purchased a Blackberry Curve in November 2010 (PAYG) costing, 169.00.

All had been fine, until last week - she noticed the display had gone and all she had was a blank, white screen! Without further ado, I contacted Vodafone Customer Service for her and they explained that she would need to take it into the Store she purchased it from and they would arrange to send the phone off, for a warranty repair.

The following day, she went to the Bromley Vodafone Retail Outlet and explained to the Store Asst the problem she was having. He took the phone for closer inspection and noted it had a different case to the one originally supplied (she had to have a new case put on it, as the original started losing its colour/gloss and started looking tatty). He said, unfortunately we are unable to send the phone for repair as you have changed the case, which has invalidated your warranty!

He had accessed her/the phone details on his Computer and went on to say, also we are unable to repair it owing to previous 'water damage?'. She queried this and he went on to say, you returned the phone for a repair previously, as it had a stuck button - we did not repair the phone as it was considered to be the result of water damage. So we cannot repair it anyway. She was totally gobsmacked, there had never been any instance of water damage to her phone - the fact that they did not repair phone previously, she had thought they could not find fault.

As fault (button stuck) was so minor, she did not insist they fix it and in fact it corrected itself anyway. How they have arrived at there being water damage is totally absurd and unfounded.

However, I looked at the information and guidance on the Vodafone Website, in relation to warranty repairs and noticed this clause, in relation to water/moisture damage,
    which reads:-
    Water/Moisture Damage:
    "Moisture can corode internal parts, but sometimes the source of the damage isnt as obvious, as rain or dropping your phone in water, steam from a kettle, bath or shower, or changes in climate are all, common causes to be aware of. Not all damage of this kind is visible and can only be spotted, when we inspect the phone for repair"

Is this not somewhat 'vague' and gives Vodafone just a little bit too much scope, in suggesting water/moisture damage, being a likely cause for absolutely any fault whatsoever arising on a phone? Thereby removing any liability for Vodafone to adhere to Customer Warranties as they can simply use this as a fob off, any time it suits?

the part that states, ......the source of the damage isnt as obvious, as rain or dropping phone in water etc ...... as rain and CHANGES IN CLIMATE ........

This is so open to abuse, the possibilities are endless???

Next thing they will be introducing, in order for a warrnty repair to be done is, a questionaire, querying what rooms in your house you have used the phone in, & maybe there was a window open and was raining outside? or, did you use your phone outside and notice it suddenly got windy and the gusts of wind may have contained tiny moisture droplets ! ......... its pathetic!!!

However, it does mean - she has a phone, not fit for purpose, less than 6 months old and at a cost of 169.00. What a total waste of money, in my opinion!

I know we now live in a disposable Society, but at what cost? - any advice would be gratefully received. Aarrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
    Tags: None

Re: Vodafone Store: refusing a warranty repair??

How did she pay for the phone?
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Look here for details of a similar situation recently.

Mobile phone issues - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

Comment

Hi Celestine,

She paid Cash.

Theres no disputing the date of purchase, or proof etc ? :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Comment

Hi frances1p,

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties which your daughter-in-law has encountered here.

In regard to warranty repairs our repair centre will usually follow the manufacturer's guidelines when accessing a reported fault and complete any necessary work to remedy the situation where possible.

If you'd like me to look into this further you're welcome to email me at webrelations@vodafone.com and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK
          I am an official company representative of Vodafone UK.

LegalBeagles has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help resolve issues.

This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by LegalBEAGLES.

Comment

Originally posted by frances1p View Post
            Hi Celestine,

She paid Cash.

Theres no disputing the date of purchase, or proof etc ? :tinysmile_hmm_t2:
            Frances, please see Cetelco's advice and do not email webrelations whatsoever. Again, I repeat what I have said before, by emailing them you identify yourself to the company. Cetelco's post deals with big companies and what they listen to, ie the threat of legal action for their failings in giving what we call "customer service" and what they call, "difficulties".
            "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
            (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/z...1/3e9b20b0.jpg
              sigpicNo one expects a Chronic Hysteresis

Comment

It may be possible that these large companies think SOGA has something to do with old folks' holidays, & so cannot apply to them!
                CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thanks for all the responses - I decided to take some useful advice from the post Ceteco referred me to. I have customised the 'Letter Before Action Template' to suit my daughter-in-laws case and emailed it yesterday to Vodafone Customer Services.

Now heres a funny thing, I firstly sent an email to VF Cust Serv, requesting an email address for either the Bromley Store, or area manager responsibe for that store etc. In the meantime, whilst awaiting a response, I decided to email the Letter Before Action to that same email address - as it did have cc (customer care) in its address.

First of all I receive a reply, stating - we are unable to give an email address direct to the store or area manager etc ....... pls feel free to email to this address and we will direct your communication on ..... etc. (thought to mysel, ok - already done. But replied forwarding another copy - requesting acknowledgement etc.)

Then at 20:40.41 I noticed an email from Vodafone, which I opened and it stated the following:-
                  (have changed names and account no's etc)
                  Dear Jennifer,
                  Thankyou for contacting Vodafone Customer Services, I understand you wish to know your account no.
                  I have reviewed your account and can confirm that your account number is 1234567890. There is no pin set up on your account. If you wish to activate the pin, please write back to us with the four digit numeric number of your choise and we will activate the pin for you.
                  I hope this information is helpful.
                  Ive also attached a short customer feedback questionaire and would really appreciate your thoughts to help us improve our service and I can assure you this will be treated in *"confidence". Just click here to start.
                  * ( yeah right! just like you have treated this customers details in "confidence" - I think not!!!)
                  Regards
                  Employee at Vodafone's Name
                  Customer Services Asst
                  Shared Services
                  UK Address in Full
                  I then noticed another email from Vodafone, which was sent at: 20:53.14
                  which read:
                  Dear Ms XXXXXXX (my daughter-in-laws name)
                  Thank you for contacting Vodafone Customer Services. I apologise that due to technical default another response has been sent you.
                  I sincerely apologise for the miscommunication. Regarding your quesry, I would suggest you to get in touch with our senior manager on the following address:
                  Vodafone House,
                  The connection, Newbury,
                  Berkshire RG14 2PN
                  I apologise for any inconvenience this matter has caused.
                  Regards,
                  Vodafone Employee name (same as previous email)
                  Cust Services Asst
                  etc
                  (NB: above is exactly worded and grammer and punctuation etc as above)
                  So it would seem that my Letter Before Action, will now have to be sent via the long postal haul, which I find absurd, when dealing with a COMMUNICATIONS Co. They sell and promote internet/broadband services, but discourage customers using it for the purpose of Contacting them???
                  Furthermore, do I trust them not to disclose my personal details and in light of so many recent revelations in the media, of peoples personal data being disclosed inappropriately, whilst this may not be any match for the likes of Electronic Giants, like Sony (PSN) - it is worrying?
                  Where can I go with this?? Any suggestions?????? "hmmmmmmmmmmm????"

Comment

HI, BACK AGAIN.......JUST WANTED TO ADD ................

just received another email from Vodafone Customer Services. It would seem, that as I have sent the email twice, I have been allocated two seperate Vodafone Reference Numbers, so this email relates to the second time of sending the Letter Before Action...............
                    Vodafone Customer Services:
                    Hello Daughter-in-law name,
                    Thank you for contacting Vodafone Cust Servs.
                    XXXX, I apologise to you for the inconvenience caused to you.
                    If you want we can forward this issue to a higher level.
                    Please write back to us with the confirmation, if you want us to escalate this issue further, however we are not able to provide you with the details for contacting the Store directly.
                    Regards

So I replied immediately, stating my confirmation requesting them to 'forward my issue to higher level' (strange terminology??), stating that I expect a prompt response!

So now off to post a copy to the Senior Manager, based in Berkshire?????:target:

What a performance, all I want is my daughter-in-laws Consumer Rights to be acknowledged and applied accordingly, I feel as if I have just written a Thesis !!!!!! :confused2:

Comment

so now off to post a copy to the Senior Manager, based in Berkshire
                      lee vodaphone, i'm so so sorry. i had no idea you lived in SLOUGH. explains everything. can we donate?

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!
                      It isn't fit for humans now,
                      There isn't grass to graze a cow.
                      Swarm over, Death!
                      Come, bombs and blow to smithereens
                      Those air -conditioned, bright canteens,
                      Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans,
                      Tinned minds, tinned breath.
                      Last edited by The Debt Star; 13th May 2011, 18:34:PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses - I decided to take some useful advice from the post Ceteco referred me to. I have customised the 'Letter Before Action Template' to suit my daughter-in-laws case and emailed it yesterday to Vodafone Customer Services.

Now heres a funny thing, I firstly sent an email to VF Cust Serv, requesting an email address for either the Bromley Store, or area manager responsibe for that store etc. In the meantime, whilst awaiting a response, I decided to email the Letter Before Action to that same email address - as it did have cc (customer care) in its address.

First of all I receive a reply, stating - we are unable to give an email address direct to the store or area manager etc ....... pls feel free to email to this address and we will direct your communication on ..... etc. (thought to mysel, ok - already done. But replied forwarding another copy - requesting acknowledgement etc.)

Then at 20:40.41 I noticed an email from Vodafone, which I opened and it stated the following:-
                        (have changed names and account no's etc)
                        Dear Jennifer,
                        Thankyou for contacting Vodafone Customer Services, I understand you wish to know your account no.
                        I have reviewed your account and can confirm that your account number is 1234567890. There is no pin set up on your account. If you wish to activate the pin, please write back to us with the four digit numeric number of your choise and we will activate the pin for you.
                        I hope this information is helpful.
                        Ive also attached a short customer feedback questionaire and would really appreciate your thoughts to help us improve our service and I can assure you this will be treated in *"confidence". Just click here to start.
                        * ( yeah right! just like you have treated this customers details in "confidence" - I think not!!!)
                        Regards
                        Employee at Vodafone's Name
                        Customer Services Asst
                        Shared Services
                        UK Address in Full
                        I then noticed another email from Vodafone, which was sent at: 20:53.14
                        which read:
                        Dear Ms XXXXXXX (my daughter-in-laws name)
                        Thank you for contacting Vodafone Customer Services. I apologise that due to technical default another response has been sent you.
                        I sincerely apologise for the miscommunication. Regarding your quesry, I would suggest you to get in touch with our senior manager on the following address:
                        Vodafone House,
                        The connection, Newbury,
                        Berkshire RG14 2PN
                        I apologise for any inconvenience this matter has caused.
                        Regards,
                        Vodafone Employee name (same as previous email)
                        Cust Services Asst
                        etc
                        (NB: above is exactly worded and grammer and punctuation etc as above)
                        So it would seem that my Letter Before Action, will now have to be sent via the long postal haul, which I find absurd, when dealing with a COMMUNICATIONS Co. They sell and promote internet/broadband services, but discourage customers using it for the purpose of Contacting them???
                        Furthermore, do I trust them not to disclose my personal details and in light of so many recent revelations in the media, of peoples personal data being disclosed inappropriately, whilst this may not be any match for the likes of Electronic Giants, like Sony (PSN) - it is worrying?
                        Where can I go with this?? Any suggestions?????? "hmmmmmmmmmmm????"
                        I had a similar experience with trying to contact the legal dept. of a large retail company, only to be told (quite rudely, imho) by the switchboard monkey that 'you cannot access the legal dept via email'
                        Absolute billhooks - do they treat all their customers as numpties? (It would appear that, after a quick Google search, the answer is (sadly) yes!!
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                        gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

HI, BACK AGAIN.......JUST WANTED TO ADD ................

just received another email from Vodafone Customer Services. It would seem, that as I have sent the email twice, I have been allocated two seperate Vodafone Reference Numbers, so this email relates to the second time of sending the Letter Before Action...............

So I replied immediately, stating my confirmation requesting them to 'forward my issue to higher level' (strange terminology??), stating that I expect a prompt response!

So now off to post a copy to the Senior Manager, based in Berkshire?????:target:

What a performance, all I want is my daughter-in-laws Consumer Rights to be acknowledged and applied accordingly, I feel as if I have just written a Thesis !!!!!! :confused2:
                          Hi frances1p,

I'm sorry to see that you're no further forward with getting this resolved yet.

I appreciate the skepticism over our presence here and it's naturally entirely at your discretion whether you wish to get in touch with the Web Relations Team or not.

I would re-iterate that our sole objective is to help as many customers in need of assistance as possible. To demonstrate some of the cases where we've been able to successfully help out please see...

Originally posted by The Debt Star View Post
                          lee vodaphone, i'm so so sorry. i had no idea you lived in SLOUGH. explains everything. can we donate?

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!
                          It isn't fit for humans now,
                          There isn't grass to graze a cow.
                          Swarm over, Death!
                          Come, bombs and blow to smithereens
                          Those air -conditioned, bright canteens,
                          Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans,
                          Tinned minds, tinned breath.
                          Hi The Debt Star,

I was wondering where the Slough reference had come from when you posted on another forum the other day.

Whilst I have nothing against that part of the country I can confirm that I don't come from or live there.

Best wishes,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK
                          Last edited by Amy; 17th May 2011, 11:45:AM. Reason: Link removal
                          I am an official company representative of Vodafone UK.

LegalBeagles has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help resolve issues.

This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by LegalBEAGLES.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Vodafone Company Rep View Post
                            Hi frances1p,

I'm sorry to see that you're no further forward with getting this resolved yet.

I appreciate the skepticism over our presence here and it's naturally entirely at your discretion whether you wish to get in touch with the Web Relations Team or not.

I would re-iterate that our sole objective is to help as many customers in need of assistance as possible. To demonstrate some of the cases where we've been able to successfully help out please see No where on Legal beagles since threatening them with legal action due to their abject failure usually helps them resolve things. That the kinda result you need.

Hi The Debt Star,

I was wondering where the Slough reference had come from when you posted on another forum the other day.

Whilst I have nothing against that part of the country I can confirm that I don't come from or live there.

Best wishes,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Lee, if you post links to other forums where you have simply posted up the web relations email address, I'll ask site team here to remove them. Some sites want their users identified to you and this forum does not. Please remember that there is nothing wrong with posting up generalised advice or even customer care telephone numbers available on their site to one and all but the advice I would give to VODAFONE customers is, never email webrelations if you want your identity on a forum revealed to everyone.
                            "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                            (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Hi Lee,

I've just read through this thread, and this is a direct quotation from you, "I would re-iterate that our sole objective is to help as many customers in need of assistance as possible."

If this is genuinely the case, perhaps you would be good enough to post up direct line telephone numbers and e-mails for the following:

1. The CEO and Chief Executive's Department
                              2. Head of Customer Services
                              3. Head of Complaints (or their equivalent title within your organisation).

This will prove you are totally genuine in what I have quoted and will certainly go a long way to reassuring people who are treating you with some scepticism (I believe this its correct spelling). That way anyone with a problem can save time and go to these people directly with their problem for a resolution and you'll be able to prove to them that you really are doing your job correctly and practising what you preach.

I look forward to seeing the list!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X