• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unison (BofS) Mastercard - Monthly Payments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unison (BofS) Mastercard - Monthly Payments

A couple of months ago, having fallen well behind (3/4 months) with my normal payments, I entered into an arrangement with a company representing Bank of Scotland - this meant that I would pay a much reduced (around a quarter of my usual payment) amount for 6 months, at 0% interest.
    All seemed well until I received a letter from BofS advising me that I was falling further behind with my payments - I telephoned them and was advised that despite the zero-interest/reduced payments arrangement, I would soon be 7 months behind with my payments, which would automatically mean my account being referred to debt recovery. I had to make a larger one-off payment to bring my account more up to date (which I can afford, but didn't tell them that).
    I'm confused - either my monthly payments have been reduced or they haven't.
    Anyone else with this experience? Advice welcome.
    Tags: None

Re: Unison (BofS) Mastercard - Monthly Payments

Who is this company "representing" BoS? What was BoS explanation for the conflicting arrangements?

And if you can afford it, why not just bring your account up to date and thus stop the hassle?
    Is no longer here

Comment

The BoS explanation was that my contractual payments remained in place, irrespective of the fact that I had entered into an agreement with them to pay a much reduced monthly payment (zero interest) for a fixed period. Because of this, while I keep making the reduced payment, I continue to fall behind and accumulate arrears in respect of my normal contractual payment (I have written to them to get total clarity on this point).

While I could afford to pay a one-off lump sum at the time, I am still not out of the woods and need all the help I can get - lower payments and zero interest help a great deal. After all, who wants to have their monthly payment wiped out by extortionate interest charges?

Still can't find information about the company, but my agreement is still with BoS.

Comment

After a period of relative calm, BoS have reverted back to their usual ways with this one.

I have continued to pay a reduced monthly amount and a lower rate of interest - however, about a week ago I received a letter from Moorcroft Debt Recovery stating that the account had been passed to them. To set up the same arrangement with them (same payment, although no interest) I had to make an immediate debit card payment and give them some information about my financial circumstances.

Needless to say I was furious by BoS - despite their re-assurances (in writing) that all was OK and that I should ignore their regular contractual payment reminders, they have taken this action. I tried to speak to them about it, but all they would say is that the account had been "passed to litigation".

I have submitted a complaint to the FOS and have written a complaint letter to BoS - I am waiting for responses.

I have also gone after BoS for the various fees I have paid over the last few years (I had held off doing this because of the position I was in with them).

I'll post updates as I get them.

Comment

After many moons of waiting for the FOS to resolve this one (which they haven't yet despite 6 months having passed since I submitted my complaint to them), BoS have without explanation sent out a bill to me for this old account (now in the hands of Moorcroft, who receive my monthly payments). The bill is asking for payment of the whole balance by the beginning of April. This is the first bill I have had from them since August or September 2011 - as far as I am concerned, this account is closed and the debt is now with Moorcroft).
          Needless to say, I have written to them asking what they are playing at, and have also asked the FoS adjudicator to get in touch with them.
          Any suggestions as to why they would do this?

Comment

Check your credit file, its likely BOFS have placed a default on your file, which you can add to your complaint to the ICO, Ombudsman and OFT as you clearly have not defaulted on the rearranged repayment plan, it is they that are in breach of the rearranged repayment plan that would have replaced your prexisting payment arrangements for the specified agreed period.

Also if they have defaulted you on you credit file, you would have grounds to make a claim against them for libel as a result of them recording inaccurate data on your credit file resulting in yourself being turned down for credit therefore causing you finanical prejudice - Though you will need evidence that such default resulted in you being denied credit elsewhere.
            Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

An update.
              The Adjudicator from FOS has advised that HBoS still own this debt but simply get Moorcroft to recover the money for them - they are required to send out a statement at least once every 12 months, hence the latest bill arriving.
              I have obtained my credit file and my account is in default and obviously has been for some time - I had made regular payments in accordance with an agreement and continue to do so. My expectation is that they put it into default because I didn't keep up the 'contractual' monthly payments, despite the agreement being in place at that time.
              Frsutration is not the word for this!

Comment

I've been trading e-mails with the FOS over the past few days and I think I am beginning to irritate them judging but the changing tone of their responses - they have made it clear that if BoS have made an error, them I might get something in my favour, otherwise they will probably get away with it.
                FOS are as slow as it gets - it is 6 months since I submitted my complaint and yet the FOS are still asking BoS for information, usually after they have received something from them in response to a previous request(!). I get the distinct impression that they can't cope with the number of complaints going in and are spreading themselves too thin, which only succeeds in slowing all complaints down to a crawl.
                Here's hoping for a resolution by Christmas!

Comment

Good luck with that one!:
                  Which Christmas?!
                  Taken Fos a year now for one against BOS/Cabot and still no result!:-[
                  Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

Dogtired, if you have had to wait a year I might be lucky to get this resolved by this Christmas.
                    The one thing I have noticed is that the FOS adjudicator (or whoever is handling the case) gets a bit tetchy if you keep chasing them up - I've had a few e-mails back which are simply telling me to be patient, and that they will contact me in 4 weeks if they have heard nothing from HBoS. I'm not convinced that they are chasing very hard with my particular case, but I may be doing them a dis-service.

Comment

Update - at last, after waiting since September 2011, the FOS Adjudicator has finally come back to me with her decision.
                      The bottom line is that she thinks that while BoS should have communicated with me better in relation to my account going into default, because I probably wasn't in a position to bring my account back up to date, they acted correctly. She also doesn't think that my account should no longer have a default attached to it.
                      She has agreed with BoS that they should compensate me £150 for the stress/upset (I am not surprised that BoS have agreed to this figure!) - I personally feel this is a bit of an insult, but at the end of the day, I did allow my account to fall behind in the first place, although when I reached agreement with them about a reduced payment, I always kept to it.
                      I think my only alternatives are to accept the decision, or ask her to refer it to an Ombudsman - I expect the latter will be a total waste of time and won't change anything.
                      Anyone have any thoughts?

Comment

Not really.
                        The adjudicator did e mail me last week to ask if I had heard any thing from Cabot regarding the PPI (I Havent) Seems they side with the banks in a lot of cases.
                        I asked it continue to the ombudsman.
                        DT

Comment

Thanks Dogtired - do you have a thread for your case so I can keep up to date with it?

Comment

Well its along side others like yours, have commented on in "Banks paid CCA into account", I am not sure how I put a link in on a post.
                            I had two PPIs from Bank of Scotland.
                            The one that Cabot "bought" was "won" via the FOS" I got just over £40 but as yet no reply from Cabot.
                            I will link in the last letter from them later.
                            The other is Sainsbury card, again "won" PPI but they are still trying to say there is an outstanding sum this is with (allegedly) Blair Oliver Scott, who just happen to be the in house collectors for Bank of Scotland.

now attached

Last edited by dogtired; 24th April 2012, 14:30:PM.

Comment

A quick update - after almost 6 months, the FOS has given me it's decision in relation to my request for a refund of fees charged by BoS - bottom line is that they have knocked me back because of:
                              1. Evidence provided to them by BoS that the costs incurred by them exceeds the £12 fee charged to customers
                              2. That the information from them, while it is based on the year 2009, is not a 'pre-estimate' of it's costs, but evidence of actual costs

I am obviously disappointed, particularly as other banks (i.e. MBNA, Barclays) seem willing to refund such charges. I'm not sure if this decision sets any kind of precedent (i.e. proof that £12 is a legitimate charge) - I have asked the decision to be reviewed by an Ombudsman, but to be honest, I don't expect any change.
                              If anyone has any thoughts I would be happy to hear them.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X