Thread: How to post a Screen Print

• Display

VIP Member

Mentions
    30 Post(s)

Default How to post a Screen Print

How to post a Screen Print

On occasions it can be useful to post up a screen print when you are having difficulty with a particular program,
    and especially, this method will be used to post up spreadsheet queries in the Join-In Excel Basic Tuition Thread rather than actual .xls files.

Most of the readers will know how to do this and may use sophisticated Photo Edit programs such as Paintshop Pro or Adobe Photoshop.

However, these notes are for the less experienced user and I will demonstrate using the program Paint which is on all Windows based PC's under the Accessories category.

We will also have a look at the Snipping Tool available on Vista/Windows 7.

I have researched add-on snipping tools for XP operating systems, and all want to add toolbars and alter your PC - so I am not taking the responsibility of reccommending one.

Soooooo

Overall Requirements re Capture/Cropping/Annotation
    Printscreen Method and Cropping & Annotation before saving with the program Paint
    Snipping Tool and Annotation before saving with the Snipping Tool

Overall Requirements re Capture/Cropping/Annotation

I'm specifically going to use the capture of spreadsheet images for this discussion, but the principles apply for the capture of any screenshot--be it from Word or Turbocad for instance-or a straight capture of part of this forum's current screens.

In our Excel Tuition Thread-I will show you how to annotate the general screen area using text boxes and the drawing toolbar-but I demonstrate here how to do it also with both the PrintScrn method thro' Paint and the Snipping Tool

Printscreen Method and Cropping & Annotation before saving with the program Paint

This is the method we will use for XP Operating System PC's --- although it is equally applcable to Vista and Windows 7.

Step 1

To copy the window or screen contents use the Print Screen key at top right of keyboard.

To make a copy of the active window press ALT + Print Screen Key.
    To copy the entire screen as it appears on your monitor, simply press Print Screen key

This effectively then places the screen image on the Clipboard.
    We now need to save this as a JPG file before we can post it in a message using either Attachments or Photobucket-although for our Excel Thread , we are going to use Photobucket.

Step 2

Load the program Paint.
    On the top menu bar click Edit then Paste
    We now have the image to further work on if required.

Step 3

Annotation using the TEXT tool if required like below & crop if required-
    by dragging on the bottom sizing handles. See Paint help screens. or

use the Select tool to highlight the bit we want THEN EDIT then COPY then FILE|NEW (discard existing if asked) then Paste then Save As

Step 4
    Now save the file with a unique name in your favourite location. This should be saved as a JPG file - see the drop down box.

Snipping Tool and Annotation before saving with the Snipping Tool

This method is only available to Vista and Windows 7 users.
    It has the advantage of an inbuilt cropping method and integrated text annotation and is very easy to use. 

see here for instructions from Microsoft

Snipping Tool for Windows 7

Snipping Tool for Vista

I think they are easy to follow, but post up if any questions
    Last edited by Turboman; 24th March 2011 at 12:59:PM.

VIP Member

Mentions
    30 Post(s)

Default Re: How to post a Screen Print

Never mind Wendy

I'm going a bit out of order -- got to go back to post 1 yet---but by all means post now if you like --as I've got posts 1 & 2 reserved for me now-which is enough.

But this is a simple example of a screenprint cropped and annotated by Paint ---- and linked to my Photobucket Account

Last edited by Turboman; 24th March 2011 at 12:16:PM.

VIP Member

Mentions
    74 Post(s)

Default Re: How to post a Screen Print

Just thought I'd mention this. For anyone using Linux, there is a all-in-one solution for most cases.

Shutter - Feature-rich Screenshot Tool

Shutter is a feature-rich screenshot program. You can take a screenshot of a specific area, window, your whole screen, or even of a website – apply different effects to it, draw on it to highlight points, and then upload to an image hosting site, all within one window. Shutter is free, open-source, and licensed under GPL v3.