• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

The £84,000 cost of a degree

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The £84,000 cost of a degree

Thanks to a lifetime s interest, students could repay twice as much as they borrow.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/The...477741758.html

(Thank goodness I got my MBA from Concordia College - it was ruff, but I finished best in my class )
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick
    Tags: None

Re: The £84,000 cost of a degree

9% of earnings over £21k really doesn't seem like a bad deal to me, neither does the written off after 30 years bit.

Haven't spotted what happens to payment liability women (or men) who leave uni, get jobs on 30k, then leave to bring up families, then return to work 5/10 yrs later ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post

Thanks to a lifetime s interest, students could repay twice as much as they borrow.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/The...477741758.html

(Thank goodness I got my MBA from Concordia College - it was ruff, but I finished best in my class )
      OK, OK, I'll 'fess up...............

In litigation, the biggest risk may not be losing

10 August 2010

The decision to bring a claim, or to fight one, can be one of the trickiest problems faced by any business.

It is essential to balance the merits of the case against the potential costs, and not just the financial ones. Even the most solid looking cases can fall apart when they reach court, and any weaknesses will quickly be exploited by opposing counsel at trial. Nothing has demonstrated this to greater effect than the recent BSkyB v EDS ruling.
      The case concerned the procurement of a new customer relationship management (CRM) system by BSkyB from EDS. The original contract was worth £48m. The project was not a success and led to BSkyB alleging that it had been induced to enter the contract by the fraudulent, and negligent, representations made by EDS, and presenting a claim for losses in excess of £700m as a result. Perhaps the most talked about aspect of the case was the performance of key witness and former senior EDS employee, Joe Galloway, who headed EDS's CRM practice and was the 'mastermind' behind its bid.
      Mr Galloway was the second witness called for EDS and almost single handedly demolished EDS's defence in the Technology and Construction Court. Mr Galloway was found to have falsified evidence and to have promised to deliver aspects of the contract with BSkyB within timescales that were wholly implausible and produced without analysis.
      The killer blow to Mr Galloway's credibility, however, came from a dog called Lulu who belongs to Mark Howard QC, barrister for BSkyB. Lulu successfully obtained on the internet an MBA from Concordia College, the same college in the British Virgin Islands as Mr Galloway. In fact, Lulu achieved better grades. Whilst amusing, this would not have been so damaging had Mr Galloway not repeatedly insisted in court, in a manner described by Mr Justice Ramsay as 'palpably dishonest' that the degree was genuine. EDS was forced to accept that their main witness had lied when giving evidence. Mr Galloway may have lost his job as a result, but the case never recovered.
      Sky and EDS have subsequently agreed a damages settlement of £318m.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

The amount of money they expect you to pay is ridiculous, it's just making people not wanting to go to university..

Comment

Forget uni get a job get a mortgage get loans get into debt the choice is yours I went to the University of life and hard knocks lots of work and no degree at the end of it,Serious the choice has to be made some will go to get a degree some wont if tuition fees are 27k its a difficult decision I would not like to make it.What ever you decide Paull GOOD LUCK

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
            The £84,000 cost of a degree.
            Less than a GP earns in a year.

Originally posted by Paull
            The amount of money they expect you to pay is ridiculous, it's just making people not wanting to go to university.
            Or to persuade them to pick something else instead of underwater basket weaving.

Comment

I found this the other day though, a friend of mine used it to help fund her son go to university in Sussex, encouraging methinks

https://www.fidelity.co.uk/investor/...a/default.page

I think what the government has done to the education system is awful, but kids should still have the opportunity if they so please..
              Last edited by Paull; 29th August 2013, 16:05:PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Comment

God i was so lucky. Back in the day, my undergraduate degree was paid for by the NHS.1 day a week and working the other 4 days. And i was lucky to get my MSc when i did, i had to pay for it but it was 5 yrs ago and cheaper than nowadays. Most of my colleagues have had their MScs paid for by the dept (NHS)

Comment

I have to say, I'd prefer it if we gave discounted tuition fees to those subjects that actually warrant a university education in a subject of real merit and INCREASED fees for some of the more well known 'lifestyle' degrees

The amount of people I know that have degrees and have done absolutely NOTHING of substance with them (or work in careers where the average school leaver could fare just as well) is quite pathetic.

To many, it is quite obviously nothing more than a good way to escape real life for a further 3 years.

Comment

My son is borrowing from .Gov For Exceter University in sep 14 and after having a year out of school to earn some back up cash

I will let you people know in due course now my understanding is of this is

When the time comes too pay the money back you only pay ten pounds a week out of every hundred you earn and if you don't get a middle class income when course done you pay no more

I keep you all up dated but could be a few years to find out but don't seem that bad my concern is the price of accommodation at Uni for the first year you borrow
                    Last edited by russelldash; 4th June 2014, 20:14:PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Originally posted by ncf355 View Post
                      I have to say, I'd prefer it if we gave discounted tuition fees to those subjects that actually warrant a university education in a subject of real merit and INCREASED fees for some of the more well known 'lifestyle' degrees

The amount of people I know that have degrees and have done absolutely NOTHING of substance with them (or work in careers where the average school leaver could fare just as well) is quite pathetic.

To many, it is quite obviously nothing more than a good way to escape real life for a further 3 years.
                      And then a PhD!

Mine are science based and i work in science

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X