• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

scammers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scammers

A friend of mine has forwarde this e-mail to me asking that I pass it on to others
    pass this round everyone you know.

If you receive a phone call on your mobile from any person, saying that he
    or she is a company engineer, or telling that they're checking your mobile
    line, and you have to press #90 or #09 or any other number, end this call
    immediately without pressing any numbers.

There is a fraud company using a device that once you press #90 or #09
    they can access your 'SIM' card and make calls at your expense.

Forward this message to as many colleagues, relatives and friends as you
    can, to stop it.

Many thanks for your time regarding this matter, take care and regards.

Phil C****
    Police Constable/Crime Prevention Officer
    Ext ******** (Internal)
    01524 ******* (External)
    Email ************
    Last edited by Paule; 24th October 2007, 12:22:PM. Reason: Contact Details removed
    Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Re: scammers

Nope.. Sorry not true.

This supposed warning for mobile phone users simply combines two other hoaxes. None of the information provided in the email is valid for mobile phone users.

The first part of the hoax email claims that pressing #09 or a similar combination of digits will give a fraudster access to your sim card and allow him or her to make calls at your expense. This is untrue and has been denied by Australian telecommunications giant, Telstra.

Another version of the hoax claims the same trick can be used to hijack fixed phones. Although such a scam is theoretically possible on certain types of business telephone switching equipment that requires users to dial "9" to get an outside line, normal home phones or mobile phones are not vulnerable.
    Full details http://www.hoax-slayer.com/xalan-hoax.html

Comment

It is a hoax, Although the adding of a REAL Police Officer with REAL contact details does add to the authenticity of the message.

Here are other examples of this

FYI - Phone Scamm

This has been confirmed by Telstra: DO NOT push 90# on your home phone. Got a call last night from an individual identifying himself as an AT&T Service technician who was conducting a test on our telephone lines. He stated that to complete the test I should touch nine (9), zero(0), hash (#) and then hang up. Luckily, I was suspicious and refused. Upon contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 90#, you give the requesting individual full access to your telephone line, which allows them to place long distance telephone calls billed to your home phone number. I was further informed that this scam has been originating from many of the local ails/prisons. DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE. PLEASE pass this on to your friends. If you have mailing lists and/or newsletters from organisations you are connected with, I encourage you to pass this on.

[DETECTIVE'S NAME REMOVED]
      Detective Sergeant
      Major Fraud Investigation Division
      [NUMBER REMOVED]
      If you receive a phone call on your mobile from any person, saying that, he or she is a company engineer, or telling that they're checking your mobile line, and you have to press # 90 or #09 or any other number. End this call immediately without pressing any numbers. There is a fraud company using a device that once you press #90 or #09 they can access your "SIM" card and make calls at your expense
      I received a telephone call last evening from an individual identifying himself as an ATandT Service technician who was conducting a test on telephone lines. He stated that to complete the test I should touch nine(9), zero(0), the pound sign (#), and then hang up. Luckily, I was suspicious and refused.

Upon contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 90#, you give the requesting individual full access to your telephone line, which enables them to place long distance calls billed to your home phone number.

I was further informed that this scam has been originating from many local jails/prisons. I have also verified this information with UCB Telecom,Pacific Bell, MCI, Bell Atlantic and GTE. Please beware.

DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE.

The GTE Security Department requested that I share this information with EVERYONE I KNOW.

PLEASE pass this on to everyone YOU know.

If you have mailing lists and/or newsletters from organizations you are connected with, I encourage you to pass on this information to them.

After checking with Verizon they said it was true, so do not dial (9),zero(0), the pound sign # and hang up for anyone.

Comment

check out the spam - it won't let me use the alert button :tinysmile_cry_t:
        Scottish Wildcat Association, conserving Scotland's critically endangered wild felines

Comment

Originally posted by Zazen.Warrior View Post
          check out the spam - it won't let me use the alert button :tinysmile_cry_t:
          If it doesn't then give a shout in VIP chat and it will be sorted
          "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
          (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X