• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

OFT 664 Debt collection guidance review consultation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFT 664 Debt collection guidance review consultation

Debt collection: draft OFT guidance for creditors, debt collectors, law firms and other businesses engaged in the recovery of consumer credit debts

Start date: 10 March 2011
    End date: 02 June 2011
    Content on this page ...

[anchor Summary]
    Summary

Specific OFT guidance on debt collection (OFT 664) was first published in 2003 and updated in December 2006.
    This consultation concerns the OFT's proposal to publish a revised version of that guidance, updated to take account of market developments, regulatory changes and other recently issued OFT guidance and draft guidance currently out to consultation.
    We would welcome your views and comments on the consultation document (contact details below). The document contains instructions on how to respond to the consultation and who to contact with any queries.
    Consultation document

Debt collection: draft OFT guidance for creditors, debt collectors, law firms and other businesses engaged in the recovery of consumer credit debts (OFT664con) (pdf 583kb)
    How to respond

Please send responses by post to:
    Jane Shepherd
    Office of Fair Trading,
    Fleetbank House,
    2-6 Salisbury Square,
    London
    EC4Y 8JX
    or by email to dcguidance-review@oft.gsi.gov.uk
    Responses

After the consultation we will publish a short summary of the responses received.
    Contacts

Team Leader
    Rita Hall Hughes (020 7211 8671, rita.hall-hughes@oft.gsi.gov.uk)
    Project Director
    Nigel Cates (020 7211 8114, nigel.cates@oft.gsi.gov.uk)
    Senior Responsible Officer
    Ray Watson (020 7211 8908, ray.watson@oft.gsi.gov.uk)
    Media enquiries

Any media enquiries should be directed to a member of our Press Office.

Back to: Current consultations

Recently viewed pages

Email alerts

Register for email alerts or amend your existing account details here.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

Re: OFT 664 Debt collection guidance review consultation

There might be a few people who might want to help ya on this one
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

A lot to take in in that!

A brief skim and I like this:

ignoring or disregarding debtors' legitimate wishes in respect of when, where and how to contact them, for example, shift workers who ask not to be telephoned during certain times of the day, or some debtors may request contact by letter rather than by telephone
      Still reading..............

Comment

Current 664 doc - http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/bus...dit/oft664.pdf for comparison etc
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Page 49 is interesting, it gives what the OFT believes are valid grounds for disputing a debt, limited or sensible?

Comment

They do encompass of lots of disputes - Although I'm not sure whether misselling (eg PPI/packaged account fees etc) would come under 'the amount of the debt being pursued is incorrect' ?

Does that need strengthening ? - or possibly a clarification that if only part of a debt is being disputed they can chase for the rest ?
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

A few things that stand out for me. (there are loads more)

- "using the threat of enforcement action through the courts – including but
              not limited to applications for charging orders (or inhibitions in Scotland)
              and orders for sale – to intimidate debtors in financial difficulties to pay
              more than they can afford"

- "taking steps to enforce a debt when the debtor is subject to a debt
              relief order (DRO), or other statutory scheme, for example, an
              Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA)"

- "falsely implying or stating that a particular course of action will take place
              before it is possible to know whether such action would be permissible

For example, referring to enforcement proceedings, including

• warrant of execution
              • charging order
              • attachment of earnings,

before a court judgment has been obtained."

Not even got on to the CCA stuff yet.

Comment

It's much stronger and clearer isn't it.

This is a good addition

h. failing to confirm formally and unequivocally, whether or not a payment
                has been accepted as full and final settlement of a debt

i. failing to properly advise the consequences for the debtor, under
                circumstances in which he has offered a settlement payment lower than
                the total amount owing
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

m. making undue, excessive or otherwise inappropriate use of statutory
                  demands when pursuing arrears or debts

That is perhaps a but soft?

EDIT: But I suppose it depends what you define as inappropriate. If it's construed as threatening court action they don't intend to take, then fine.

Comment

i'll take more time to read this thouroughly.

Comment

Well, all in all, there are some good things in that. Mostly things that we know should have been there in the old version, but weren't.

Still falls woefully short in many regards though.

Too little too late comes to mind, as it usually does with the OFT.

Plus of course guidelines are fine, but their letter and spirit need to be enforced. The OFT failed on that score with the last set. I can't honestly see that improving from them or anyone that takes over their role.

Comment

Wow well after a quick cursory read, as someone who uses the current OFT664 to put DCA's back in their place, I have to say that the proposed changes give a lot more clarification and 'protection' to consumers.

I am sure DCA's will still twist the words and the spirit to suit themselves (using the word 'may' rather than 'will' and argue this point) but these guidelines make it much more difficult.

Amethyst - Are you going to be responding to this in some official consultative capacity? Do you want feedback from forum members on this thread?

Crispy

Comment

Please Crispy, yes I would like to do a formal response so any thoughts very welcome. Will be fine toothcombing over the weekend to get a starting point to work from so will post once have done that xx
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Can't you rope Amy in on the consultation?

Comment

You can go off people you know.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X