• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Terry Armstrong -V- American express services

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terry Armstrong -V- American express services

I am Terry Armstrong the appellant / defendant in the appeal case number CC/2009/pta/0309 American Express Services Europe Ltd -v- Terry Armstrong (see attached).

I googled myself and on the 8th page of results for Terry Armstrong I came across your web site report of the above hearing and thank you for making the case public because it may be of help to others.

MY STORY: I discovered a paedophile in my family and attacked him, he took me to court and won plus legal costs. It was this action that lost my son his house that the paedophile lived in and in addition separately lost me the family home. The paedophile died on 24th December 2010. The legal saga has been spread over 9 years and for more information please check out.

The Armstrong situation is unique as recognised by the media reports. It also presented exceptional circumstances regarding outstanding debts which occurred as a direct result of having a paedophile in the family losing us our family business which was delivering education and training to young people. Over and above our problems with Amex we have kept excellent records of consumer abuse inflicted on the family by other banks / credit cards etc that demonstrates the cost to the consumer due the administrative negligence by the financial industry. They include: The Halifax plc who paid out damages to the paedophile through the sale of my son's house,. Northern Rock, Southern Pacific Personal Loans Ltd, Nationwide, Citygroup, Morgan Stanley, Lloyds TSB Bank, Barclays, Bank of Scotland, HFC Bank, Royal Bank of Scotland, MBNA, Capital One, Egg, Tesco. We also had negative dealings with the FSA and the Financial Ombudsman plus disappointing experiences with assorted debt collection agencies.

It is my intention to publicise my family's story so if your organisation feel we can be used to work in tandem to expose the financial services industry's attitude towards consumers with extraordinary problems please get back to me.

Kind regards
    Terry Armstrong
    Last edited by Cetelco; 5th March 2011, 15:35:PM. Reason: Links removed
    Tags: None

Terry,

Firstly welcome to Legal Beagles I am very sorry to hear of your troubles and hope that this excellent site can also be of help to you.

If I may I would like to post a bit about my situation it is regarding debt and mental health.

In April of 1991 I suffered an SAH Stroke whilst driving in my car luckily I'm told that I did manage to pull over and park the car before I passed out.

I was in hospital for 9 mths after a successful brain operation to tie off the bleed, but was left with various physical and mental disabilities which are still ongoing today to a certain degree.

I had only been married for 1 year and had no kids at the time but my wife is still with me whom I love so much, she has been my rock since that day and remains to be.

We now have two fantastic sons who continue to amaze me in there progress to adult life.

Now with that came debt which was manageable all the time I was working so had no worries there at all, but in September 2007 just at the start of the resession I was made redundant and trying to find another job was a steep uphill struggle due to my left sided disabilities.

I was always at the end of the queue for any jobs going and any temporary jobs did not last long due to me not being able to work at the speed of the rest.

So my debts which were good debts at the time became bad ones which left me struggling to cope the creditors did not reconise the issues I had which impounded on the situation I was in.

The debts got passed around from peter to paul and the collection campaign they used left me very confused not knowing which way to turn.

I then found great sites like this that are here 24/7 to help and offer advise at the times I needed it which was most important due to my memory and mental capacity as I need to discuss it while it was fresh.

I suppose what I am trying to say is many of us get into debt via unforeseen circumstances in my case it was disability, but as your post tells there are many others but unfortunately the financial industry does not recognise these as the country as to what it was 20 or so years ago has changed and they put profits before consumers and that is the price we all have to pay for democracy.

Bit by bit I am now getting straight and more importantly enjoying life again which was impossible before.

So I am glad you too have found us and I look forward to reading your posts.

Regards
    Last edited by pompeyfaith; 5th March 2011, 22:51:PM.
    If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

Re: Terry Armstrong -V- American express services

Hey Pompeyfaith

Thanks for getting back to me and I apologise for the delay in responding, I'm busy trying to re-launch my business.

Your story cut me to the quick, it's funny how we always think we're getting it bad until we hear of people far worse off than us. It's clear you're incredibly brave and an incredible example of human tenacity for which we should all be grateful. In my initial sorte onto this site it was in response to the site reporting my clash with American Express. Amex were just one of many banks I fell foul of oncve my business folded as a result of the courts findings with regard to my assaulting a paedophile who took me to court and won damages plus costs and the court granted him power of sale over our home to meet these costs. Obviously we were evicted but I've since discovered that the paedophile is now dead and his solicitors are working for Northern Rock bank to sell the property because my mortgage is with them.

The Governor of the Bank of England's recent attack on the banks prompted me to write to Northern Rock who responded negatively (please see attached) and I'd be grateful for your comments.

Terry
      Last edited by Ratpack4; 13th March 2011, 11:49:AM. Reason: Could not upload eml file

Comment

Hi Ratpack

I have just had a look at the judgement and see the Judge only allowed £200 for each year for compounded interest on a sum of £6k plus . I am sure that does not sound right to me as it would I am sure that compounded interest over many years would rack up a lot more if the sums were done correctly.

I think this needs more thorough work on to see if this is correct, we do have a compounded excel sheet on site here somewhere and if you have all your statements from day one with interest added and the percentage you should be able to calculate the correct amount due to you.

If this is significantly different and in your favour I belive that Amex owe it to you under that judgement.

That judgement is an eye opener for AMEX account holders who may have also been wrongly charged and I thank you for bring this to our attention as many may be in the same boat,

Lets see what others think.
        Tuttsi

Comment

Thanks for that Tuttsi, I think we still have the statements. Our problem is when we were evicted we only had 30 mins to get out so we left most of our stuff there and when we got permissions from the court to go back and collect our stuff the house had been cleared of everything. The only people with keys were Kingsfords solicitors acting for the paedophile and Page and Wells Estate Agents. We called the police while we were still there with the van and they confirmed there had not been a break in and said they would make enquiries as to what had happened to all our goods and chattels and gave us a crime number (this document can be seen on the-repossessed. com website) We never heard anymore so we lost everything. However I will check with our solicitor to see what he has. Thanks again for your interest.

Terry Armstrong

Comment

I am trying to obtain a decent compounded interest spreadsheet to check my o/h's Amex statement. When I do I will post this up for you so you can check against your statements. It sounds like the judge just plucked these out from no where.

Originally posted by Ratpack4 View Post
            Thanks for that Tuttsi, I think we still have the statements. Our problem is when we were evicted we only had 30 mins to get out so we left most of our stuff there and when we got permissions from the court to go back and collect our stuff the house had been cleared of everything. The only people with keys were Kingsfords solicitors acting for the paedophile and Page and Wells Estate Agents. We called the police while we were still there with the van and they confirmed there had not been a break in and said they would make enquiries as to what had happened to all our goods and chattels and gave us a crime number (this document can be seen on the-repossessed. com website) We never heard anymore so we lost everything. However I will check with our solicitor to see what he has. Thanks again for your interest.

Terry Armstrong

Comment

I now have a decent compounded spready courtesy of Bill K and have tested some of hubby's Amex statement balances against compounded interest and it is coming out reasonably the same as the actual charges give or take a couple of £'s.

If you send me your email address to my PM, I will send you the spreadsheet for you to try with your statements.

I found this on Google looking for your actual case as you did not attach the actual judgement on your original thread post. http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sou...K8fxnKoYj7mhCQ

The actual jugement would be really useful if you could post this to this up on to this thread as it could be of great interest to all Amex card holders.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X