• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

RBS PPI pre 2005

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RBS PPI pre 2005

Hi all,

got a claim in with FoS re RBS PPI

The PPI covers an area from 1997 - 2006

It seems like the claim is a little closer to the ombudsman (turned down by adjudicator, so I appealed)

The have mentioned the fact its not covered by ICOBS due to the date, so does anyone know if RBS would have been GISC registered in 1997?

The original adjudication turned it down stating

"You took the PPI following a postal application which RBS sent to you. You completed the application without any help from RBS and it was therefore incumbent upon you to satisfy yourself that the PPI policy met your requirements before taking it. I accept the application “recommends” the PPI, but this is not the same as direct personalised advice and RBS were not obliged to inform you of alternative polices that might be available on the open market from other providers.

·As stated in my letter of 22 October 2010, I do accept that RBS may not have adequately explained the ongoing cost of the policy and potential monthly benefit that would be paid in return for your premiums. However, even if they had done so, I am not persuaded this would have affected your decision to take out the policy. I say this because you were not entitled to any paid sick leave from your employer nor did you have any other polices in place. The PPI policy would have paid 10% of your outstanding balance in the event of accident, sickness or unemployment. I think that this is a reasonable level of cover for someone who had no existing provisions to protect him in one of those events. I remain of the view that you would still have purchased the policy even if RBS had explained the ongoing cost of the policy and potential monthly benefit that would be paid in return for your premiums.

·Having taken out the PPI policy, you would have been sent policy documentation. I note that you have stated that you did not receive this, however, RBS would also have sent you statements for any monthly period in which there were any transactions on your account, or a balance bought forward. These would have shown your PPI premiums being charged to your account. I cannot say whether it was a failing of RBS that you did not receive a policy document. As you were receiving details of PPI premiums being paid, I consider that it was your responsibility to ensure that you had the policy document, if you did not receive it and to query it RBS."

In laymans terms, this seems to say they are trying to say the burden was upon me to ensure RBS gave me the correct information to make an informed choice!

I responded stating at the time I was what would be considered to be "an unsophisticated borrower" without knowledge of credit agreements, GISC rules, possibility of buying the policy elsewhere, etc

So in my view, the duty to ensure everything was provided and I was making an informed choice was on RBS with its significant human, legal and financial resources that I did not have

Another sticking point appears to be tjhe application - it was postal, with a tick box for the PPI, beside which RBS stated "We strongly recommend you take out this cover"

FoS adjudicator stted this does not carry the same consequences as a face to face recommendation, which I completely disagree with, back then I was gullible enough to take RBS at their word (this was the last an only PPI I took)

Would like to hear peoples thoughts on the above?

NcF

Tags: None

Re: RBS PPI pre 2005

Hi there

In my opinion you do have good strong ground on this and to what I know of they were GISC regulated before the FSA taken over in Jan 2005, but not sure from what year.
    I assume the adjudicator would not have adjudicated this in the beginning if they were not able to, and will do so if regulated by any of the regulated parties as stated.

So any further information to support you case whilst your requesting for a review by the ombudsman will all be a help.

I'm sure you will have other opinions on this, good luck and hope its all resolved in your favour soon.

Comment

Thanks Di

Comment

Originally posted by ncf355 View Post

The have mentioned the fact its not covered by ICOBS due to the date, so does anyone know if RBS would have been GISC registered in 1997?

In 1997 it would have been covered by ICOB (before ICOBS came in, in 1997). GISC ceased to apply when ICOB was implemented on 14 Jan 2005.

There's a useful overview of the history of PPI regulation in the BBA's JR application from page 16. Legal Beagles Consumer Forum - View Single Post - Copies of official Judicial Review paperwork - Bba/Banks v FSA/FOS

Comment

Had an almost identical response from adjudicator re Bank of Scotland, now being forwarded to ombudsman and as the other. as part of the same claim as a seperate calm as it had been "sold" to Cabot.
          Last edited by dogtired; 6th March 2011, 08:12:AM. Reason: my spelling
          Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

Thanks EXC

Frustrating isnt it DT?

Comment

Interesting that at Para 38 of the BBA's submission, the BBA's own text states "A non advised sale does not involve any element of recommendation by the provider"

So, safe to assume the opposite is also true, so this would mean to me that the BBA's interpretation backs up my statement to the FoS ajudicator that by stating on the application "We strongly recommend you take out this cover" they made this an advised sale?

------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
              Originally posted by EXC View Post
              In 1997 it would have been covered by ICOB (before ICOBS came in, in 1997). GISC ceased to apply when ICOB was implemented on 14 Jan 2005.

There's a useful overview of the history of PPI regulation in the BBA's JR application from page 16. Legal Beagles Consumer Forum - View Single Post - Copies of official Judicial Review paperwork - Bba/Banks v FSA/FOS

EXC, on looking at this again, I'm a little confued as you state "In 1997 it would have been covered by ICOB", but then state "ICOB was implemented on 14 Jan 2005"

Is it the case that only GISC standard covered it between 1997 and 2005 then?
              Last edited by ncf355; 6th March 2011, 11:03:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

ICOB is different from ICOBS.

It went:

GISC to Jan 2005
                ICOB to Jun 2008
                ICOBs thereafter

There's a case study on the FOS site that demonstrates how fickle the distinction is between an advised and non-advised sale when a 'recommendation' for PPI is made on an application form.

Case study #2 payment protection insurance (PPI) case studies

Comment

Thanks EXC,

Looking at the BBA submission again, as my agreement started 1997 it looks like my only hope at that date would have been ABI code, as GISC did not get implemented until 2000?

Have hunted around for a copy of the old ABI code to no avail, does anyone have a copy?
                  ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                  EXC - looking at those case study examples it gives me the distinct impression I'mm looking at the roll of a dice for decision here!
                  Last edited by ncf355; 6th March 2011, 11:35:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by ncf355 View Post
                    EXC - looking at those case study examples it gives me the distinct impression I'mm looking at the roll of a dice for decision here!
                    Quite.

You could do worse than do a word search for 'ABI' in the JR hearing transcripts (in the word doc version) where they might make reference to the specific ABI regs to enable you to google for them more effectively.

PPI Judicial Review Transcripts - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

In fact it's probably worth searching the transcripts for 'advised' and 'recomend' too.

Comment

Cheers EXC

Comment

Yes but willing to wait if we get the result!
                        Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

I thought I'd put in my opinion (its only an opinion!)

I think the FOS are wrong to say that RBS didn't give you advice. If someone writes you a note, in your day to day life saying 'I strongly recommend' you do something and later they say 'I only gave you information' not advice, its your fault you did it - it would be absurd.

However, saying this, there's nothing wrong with the bank advising you, if they gave a good recommendation. Some PPI policies only cover 5% or 3% of the balance during a claim, yours covered 10%. The policy may have been of great help if you were you were unable to work? What you need to show is that you had no need for the insurance. If you can prove you had other savings or didn't intend to use the card much, it may show the recommendation was poor. Basically you need to show that (if unable to work) you could have met the card payments without difficulty without the PPI.

Regarding the policy documents. I think the adjudicator may be right for the wrong reasons. It was the duty of the bank to send you the paperwork and another company (Capital One) got in trouble (and a FSA fine) for failing to send them to customers.

However, is anyone able to remember the exact documentation they recieved with a product taken 13 years ago? Is it possible they sent it and you misplaced the paperwork? This isn't to say that your wrong. Maybe they didn't send policy details. However from the FOS's point of view (given that human memory isn't brilliant!) if RBS say they sent it (and they can prove it was standard practice to do so) and you say they didn't, whos more likely to be wrong?

Basically, I would say, the best thing to do if you have any financial records from the time of the sale, it would be worth sending them into the FOS to show you didn't need the policy at the time - therefore showing the banks recomendation was unsound.
                          Last edited by src007; 11th March 2011, 10:33:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X