• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax debt (rossendales debt letter)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax debt (rossendales debt letter)

Hi,

I moved out of my rented property back in October 2009, which I had council tax remaining to pay, after quite a bit of time I paid quite a lot off and got it down to the last £60, it came to my attention a few months back that £60 balance is still remaining, it was my mistake thinking I had a direct debit set up, turns out the agreement for the last £60 was for me to phone up every month to pay £20 until settled.

I phoned the council to tell them I'll pay the £60 off now, but they tell me I can only deal with the DCA being Rossendales. Which they want £102.50 and have threaten removal of goods (even though this is my parents house/property?).

Reason I don't want to pay Rossendales is because they are trying to add £42.50 to the £60 owed.. and I can't afford that.

I'm currently self employed, back living with the parents, and my income is very very little..

Do I have any rights with not paying the Rossendales charges? I'm happy to pay the original amount owed.

Thanks in advance for any replys.

Matt
    Tags: None

Re: Council tax debt (rossendales debt letter)

The sum they allege is owing, £42.50, will be made up their visit fees. £42.50 is the maximum they are permitted to charge for two visits.

Have they visited you?

Comment

They haven't been to my property, there's always at least one person in at home.

Outstanding liability Order Value: £102.50

Final reminder do not ignore.

Dear sir/madam

Despite previous correspondence you have not made payment to clear the above overdue balance.

When the van attend you will be liable for additional costs.

In order to avoid the removal of your foods you must contact us immediately on...

Yours faithfully,

Bailiff manager

Comment

Read this, as it will give you a good idea of what you can do next and come back and ask any other questions you may have.

Bailiff Guide - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post
          Read this, as it will give you a good idea of what you can do next and come back and ask any other questions you may have.

Bailiff Guide - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum
          Thanks for the link, I've had a read through it, but still unsure what I should be doing to solve this with them..

If I was visited by a bailiff, would they leave any kind of card if no one answers?
          and should I write to them to ask what exactly the £42.50 is added for? I just want to pay the original amount owed being £60...

Thanks!

Comment

What the council are saying is not true. They can take payment for the debt, but they always say they can't to start with. Pay the £60 direct to the council either on line or via their automated telephone payment system. Give it a day or two to clear then phone and ask for the balance of council tax outstanding which should now be zero.

If you're sure the bailiffs have not visited you - they have to leave paperwork everyrtime they do, so you would know, then let them whistle for their money. One trick they often try is to use the liability order gained by the council to collect their fees once all council tax is clear. As usual for bailiffs they will lie and say they can claim the money as they're doing so on behalf of the council, but as long as you've checked your balance is zero you're on strong ground. They are not allowed to do this. If they want to collect their fees they have to go back to court and do it properly.

I think this financial year I've dealt with between 20-25 council tax / bailiff issues. Every single time the council said they could not take payment. Every single time they did!

Finally DO NOT BELIEVE THE BAILIFFS when they say what the liability order amount is - always phone the council and ask them, then you know what you actually owe.

Comment

From the many Bailiffs Records I have seen, the Bailiffs always collect their fees/charges first before they start handing over to the Council their slice of the all the monies collected
              If you do what you always do, you will always get what you always get!

Comment

That's why I said pay the council directly. They may say they pay the bailiffs first, but in reality they usually don't!

Comment

But if you do pay the council direct, you need to make sure that the payment is allocated to the outstanding LO, as they will automatically allocate it to the current year, if any is outstanding.

Once you have paid the council, write to Rossendales stating that you have paid the council direct so you will not be paying them. Point out that no visits have taken place so therefore you will not be paying their charges.
                  Is no longer here

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
                    That's why I said pay the council directly. They may say they pay the bailiffs first, but in reality they usually don't!
                    They do actually.

"Usually" will be cold comfort if you are the poor unfortunate whose liability is not clear because the bailiff fees have been paid out of whatever money you have paid directly to the council. If your liability is not clear, then the bailiff has every right to carry on chasing for the outstanding amount.

Ultimately when paying the council direct, it is down to the council to ensure the bailiff fees are either paid to the relevant bailiff company or are made null and void. For example where a debtor has been charged for levies that should not have been made or other nefarious fees have been added to the account, the council might decide the fees have no basis and they may wipe them - meaning the bailiff is owed nothing, but the council cannot do any of this if they have no knowledge of the bailiffs lies and made up visits/levies.

Therefore, it is essential to keep the council informed at all times.

It is just not possible to pay the council direct and believe everything will be ok because it just might not be.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X