• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Phoenix Recoveries v Kotecha Jan 2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Phoenix Recoveries v Kotecha Jan 2010

Unfortunately in this court it does appear to be the case. in my first case the DJ was on good terms with the barrister, who had to explain who the SRA were to him.

This is why I am trying to negotiate a f&f as well as looking for anything to help in the next imminent case

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
      Unfortunately in this court it does appear to be the case. in my first case the DJ was on good terms with the barrister, who had to explain who the SRA were to him.

This is why I am trying to negotiate a f&f as well as looking for anything to help in the next imminent case
      you are trying to settle? a case where there are no statutory terms anywhere? with the Devendra Kotecha Judgments?

I dont follow?
      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

It is my OH's case, we have applied for me to represent him; he was with me on the 2 failures and doesn't think it is worth fighting, so I have been trying to negotiate a f&f. Negotiations began before this result (unsucessfully so far .....) and court is within the next 10 days.

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
          It is my OH's case, we have applied for me to represent him; he was with me on the 2 failures and doesn't think it is worth fighting, so I have been trying to negotiate a f&f. Negotiations began before this result (unsucessfully so far .....) and court is within the next 10 days.
          id suggest getting Counsel to represent you, if you win, the opponents will pay the costs of the barrister in any event, so if your case is that strong then you should nt have any thing to worry about
          I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

[QUOTE=pt2537;194748]Ahh

Therein lies the difficulty faced by a litigant in person, as most banks will have counsel, and by contrast, the lip is on his own.

It seems to me that unless you have counsel in your corner you have an uphill struggle[/QUOTE

Agreed.

Comment

Thanks pt, I'll see if there is anyone who is local, understands the CCA, can work on the date I need, is direct access and not too expensive!

Comment

Great, I've tried the direct access route; 'I have a fair grasp of the legal concepts .... we the small sums involved....may not be financially viable to be represented....'
                I'm back on my own again, so any advice gratefully accepted!

Comment

Urgghh doesn't sound too positive then.

On your last case, which I know you lost, was it fair that you lost or id you feel trampled on and sidelined by the other side ? If your case is strong and with the backup of Kotecha, even if the judge decides the terms are linked to the front page of the agreement, those terms still need to be the correct ones from inception and you need to get your evidence sorted to show they couldnt possibly have been - have you already argued that in your defence/witness statements etc ?

I don't know if we have the jugment transcript available yet as that should have much more detail in.

In your negotiations for settlement have you bought up Kotecha at all ?

Have you posted up their witness statements and the relevant documents anywhere, as more eyes may help get your arguments straight.

In your defence you mention some prescribe terms that are missing which the other side say in their WS don't need to be there?

Obviously keep trying to sort out rep if you want to go that way but also be absolutely ready to go in yourself as LIP while negotiating on a WP basis.
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks for replying, I have started a thread in VIP re their attempt to collect s69 interest; instead of taking over this topic I will post more information there.
                    Re previous defeats, I feel that I didn't have much chance because of the balance of probabilities rule, I could probably could have presented the case better, however I did cover all the points with case law etc. The DJ did not listen or note everything that I said.
                    Re a settlement I started before Kotecha and they haven't replied since.

My other thread http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ad.php?t=26452
                    Last edited by cymruambyth; 1st February 2011, 18:16:PM.

Comment

If you choose to defend this in the SC court then you might consider taking the judge through the relevant paragraphs of the Carey judgment followed by C of A decision in Kotecha and finally the OFT guidance on information requests made under S77 and S78 CCA. Particulary para 2.21 of the guidance. Take you time and be well prepared for the hearing, make notes, you are attempting to "sell" your case to the DJ, so smile and confirm he understands your points before moving on. If possible ask why the other side believe the T&Cs are the correct ones. Above all do not rush your case and stay calm.

Comment

BAsed on my experiences with Wescot and the instance with a DJ I'd go with what PT says lay your case out for a local legal firm and see if the'll carry out a risk assessment to see if you can qualify for a 'no win no fee' deal.

LIP is an upill struggle now as the other side will undoubtedly employ legal council and as good as you think you understand the legal concepts it'll be a challenge
                        Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity. (Motto of the Kings of Scotland)

Comment

Originally posted by frisp View Post
                          BAsed on my experiences with Wescot and the instance with a DJ I'd go with what PT says lay your case out for a local legal firm and see if the'll carry out a risk assessment to see if you can qualify for a 'no win no fee' deal.

LIP is an upill struggle now as the other side will undoubtedly employ legal council and as good as you think you understand the legal concepts it'll be a challenge
                          I haven't been able to find a local no win no fee and time is running out. The local firm I spoke to thought I had a ggod grasp of the legalities and didn't think it would be financially viable; this was after court was provisionally booked. It looks like it is battle no3.

Comment

Have you tried PT's firm Watsons Solicitors | Welcome ?

PS website looks knackered at the moment.

M1

Comment

Thanks Mystery but local barrister said that as it is SC we would not be able to claim all the costs invloved; the distance from pt's firm would add considerably to these costs.

Comment

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
                                Have you tried PT's firm Watsons Solicitors | Welcome ?

PS website looks knackered at the moment.

M1
                                cant you tell, IT isnt our strong point lol

Actually we were waiting til the recent case results come out before we upgraded it, but the webby is being sorted

and btwm we did a case in plymouth, had one in blackpool, another in hastings, and one in the north east.

Distance is no problem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X