• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Housing benefit overpayment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Housing benefit overpayment

I am in receipt of housing benefit as we are on a low income due to my OH being a student and me being self employed.

I have always kept on top of information going to the council for the claim, yet I apparently still owe them a massive (well £200+) overpayment which they are taking back at £14 a week since November.
    I discovered they had me as receiving WTC for time that I had told them I was on CJSA from July-Oct yet with the decrease in income I still owe them more money.

I decided to check how much was owed today thinking it'll be down to about £90 max by now to be told it was still £175.93!

When I queried this the woman I spoke to got all flustered and I am now awaiting a call back from a supervisor about why I still owe so much.

How do I get the information on how they have come to this conclusion?
    Tags: None

Re: Housing benefit overpayment

Hi,
    Every time there is the slightest change in your Housing Benefit the Council have to send you a letter and summary showing how the new calculation has been worked out. It is usually about four / six pages long.

If you have not received it then I suggest you ask for the latest up to date figures to be sent to you and from there you can see how much they are taking each month to cover the over payment and what is left to pay back.
    Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

Comment

It would seem the council are completely in the wrong

I spoke to a lovely manageress who received my letter of complaint. It would seem that when I was on JSA from July-Oct they didn't remove my working tax credits from the account. Therefore they had me as earning £150 a week MORE than I was. I'd took in a form to say I was in receipt of JSA the woman at the counter had told me that they would alter the tax credit automatically as they get the info direct. They didn't this time as I had not specifically told them *doh*

I queried how they are quick to adjust my hb when my tax credits increase by pence but they drop by a huge amount and they don't do anything.

Therefore I have just received a very nice payment into my bank account and a letter of apology from the council.

Comment

Thanks for the update MrsGem and well done.
        Enaid x

Comment

Brilliant news - I'm pleased for you!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X