• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Grocery Shopping: the tips thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Grocery Shopping: the tips thread

They've got an on-line shop!
    http://www.redmountaincoffee.com/

Comment

We have proper greengrocer within walking distance and by veg (except spuds) evey day noe wasted. SPuds keep if you have storage big saving . 25kg bag £7.99 so just over 3p per kilo where a 4kg bag is £2 .
      Also if you now how cook from statch . Ready meals are among highest margin proucts .

It might beworth trying a cheap starter o take the edge of appetites and thereby reduce the level of hunger when the meat course is reached.

Look at extending cuts of mat with plenty of veg or with soya mince.
      I was brought upby parents who had been through the war and who kept sayingthat 20z of protein per person per day was sufficient.
      Surviveable but not sufficient but you see my point meat is expensive
      I'm not sure if its worth avoidingthe adulterated meats with poly phospjate seems a lot to apy for water. No added water in the meat and then marinade to improve he tenderness.

Sorry I'm rambling again

:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Comment

My girlfriend and I have been shopping online with Asda for nearly a year now, and it's been okay, sometimes they don't have everything and they've accidentally charged us but no major hiccups. However, our friend's been shopping online with Waitrose and says it's cheaper than Asda! I know, right, how could that be true?! But she swears by it, so we're gonna try it. Just wondering if anyone else has had an experience of this?

Comment

It depends what you buy from each shop I think, Waitrose I have found tend to be cheaper on branded stuff than Asda or Tesco, but Asda and Tesco's own brand stuff is cheaper than Waitrose - so if you buy all branded then Waitrose is cheaper but if like me you're not bothered then Asda or Tesco are cheaper

Comment

With 3 kids i LOVE asdas, 3 meat products for £10! I aint arguing, i grow as much veggies and fruit as I can, i use Asdas own washing gel as its the same as Bold and £2 cheaper. I buy my clothers at Primark and Matalan (and the kids stuff) dogs are on the cheap tins, so is the cat.
            If i havent got a lot of meat in i make a stirfry out of what i have got.
            I buy smartprice everytime, saves me a fortune!

Heres a serious question though.....

Organic means no pesticides, no preservatives, basic natural food.
            Why is it 3 times dearer than non organic?!

Comment

for those with dishwashers 99p shop has 15 finish powerballs in if you only wash dishes once a day that 2 weeks worth of tablets cheaper than anywhere else I have found. The astonish cleaniong products are fantastic too Growing veg too carrots onions etc from 99p shop (unfortunatly this year our little greenhouse got blown down in the high winds and we lost most of them) but again 99p shop to replace perfect. I love the shop.
              sigpic

Comment

We don't have a 99p shop but we do have £land and £world, I get all my cleaning stuff from there, toiletries and sweets/crisps/chocolate too. One of them now stocks bread and milk - I freeze my milk and it's actually fine when you defrost it. Unfortunately as I live at the back end of the back of beyond and don't drive it's a bit tricky getting the stuff home on the bus - as most of it weighs a ton and taxi's cost around £20, but I can usually get a lift from someone when I need it - I need them to deliver lol.
                I live near a country store and get breeders pack cat and dog food which is cheap, lasts ages and gets delivered too. Tesco have a range of laundry stuff in at the moment called 'enrituals' the washing liquid is £1 for 1 litre, and it's really good too.

Organic means no pesticides, no preservatives, basic natural food.
                Why is it 3 times dearer than non organic?!
                Totally agree there Puff, it's shocking. Something that also gets me (my local co-op mainly but other shops too) is that I can get 140g of chocolate or a big bag of sweets for £1 yet a bag of apples or pears is £2.00!! They were selling strawberries the other day for £3.99 - my daughter wanted some for a treat but I didn't have enough money - so she got sweets instead for a £1, if the government really want people to eat healthier then they should take steps to bring down the price of normal, healthy everyday food like fruit and veg. I buy frozen veg and mainly tinned fruit as it's cheaper! We always have banana's and apples in but you know what kids are like...... want a change now and again.

Comment

I buy the kids the packets of sweets that are 3 for a pound and then put them all in a big jar and shake the jar
                  I also use my late mum in law's book, shes got some gems like "use brown sauce as metal polish".

I'm going to Scotland in August and my kids have a piggybank each, anything under 50p goes in the piggybank and thats their spending money for the holiday. If you go to Homebase you can buy fruit bushes for about £3, and Hubby got us a plum, cherry and apple tree for £30 off ideal world.

i'm a bugger for a bargain.

Comment

Have you noticed how expensive stewing steak is? Well I don't use it, I've found that a roast such as brisket is usually cheaper so use that instead. When going to buy meat for stews or pies check the price per kilo on stewing steak and then compare with price per kilo on different roasts, you will inevitably find that some of the cuts of roasts are cheaper. Just cut it up and use as regular stewing steak.

Comment

Our rule whan shopping is to only buy what we need and if the price looks high we dont buy we find that pound shops sell so much for better prices than tescos asda etc unless they have offers if a bogoff is for something we always have is on we buy if its something we seldom buy we dont meat is brought when its on offer if the price is high based on how many meals a piece of meat will make we dont bother non food items like soap powder toileteriis etc are on ffer most so we stock up works for us try it

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X