• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Now Very Very Confused

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now Very Very Confused

Hi Again,

I made a post in the Bailiff section yesterday that I had received a letter from a bailiff saying I owed an amount of money on a liability order for outstanding council tax. Well I have just realized that this is for this year but at my old address . I have now received another letter from the council to say that I have another hearing for outstanding council tax for the same tax year and another liability order. The best of it all is that the council know when I moved and it was them that said not to worry about the council tax at the old house as this would added to the new properties once I moved. The amount outstanding on the liability order and the new summons equates to £1130.70 and they have already had £265.13 in council tax benefit. It looks to me like they are trying to charge me twice for the band we live in which is currently £904.41 which should mean we owe £641.76 but working out what we have from the various letters we have they are charging us the full £904.41 all over again for another whole year at our current address. TBH its making my head spin can anyone help me please it really does not make any sense and seems like someone has pressed the wrong button twice at the councils end.
    Last edited by inthenook7672; 4th December 2010, 14:37:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Now Very Very Confused

Have you actually spoken to the Council about this? They can't charge you for the same tax year on two different addresses.If you have moved during the year then they would have to pro-rata the tax for each address. If you get no joy out of the council then I would suggest you attend the Liability hearing and explain to the Court what the problem is, then more than likely the liability order wouldn't be granted. If you don't attend and then it is granted, it will be harder to sort out afterwards.
    Is no longer here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X