• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Paypal Negative Balance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paypal Negative Balance

I have just gone through a dispute with Paypal over a negative balance created when they made a refund to an ebay buyer, who returned a broken item to me. This took some effort and at times I did feel like giving up. I learned a lot in terms of how to deal with these people and as I know this is an all too common occurrence, would like to share my experience, in the hope of making it a little easier for others.

It’s taken a while but they have finally given up, and are calling of the dca received an email this morning saying as a goodwill gesture they are re crediting my account. It is without doubt through info I have got from this site and others like it that I have managed to chase them, I have often felt like giving up, it takes up so much time and effort. However I believe I know now how to go about it in a way that will minimise the stress.

1 When you sell a pricey item get the money out of papal quickly, you never know who is going to try and fleece you.

2 As soon as the dispute starts get your letters ready, because it is more than likely you will loose, do not waste your time with emails.

3 As soon as they find against you send a recorded delivery letter to their Compliance Officer,(SEE PREVIOUS POSTS FOR ADDRESS) complaining about the fairness of their dispute process, pr-empt them by stating that you have no interest in their user agreement, and that they are obliged to follow the laws of the uk no matter what their user agreement says. Also point out that as they are signed up to the Financial Ombudsman scheme they must offer you the opportunity to take that option, finish the letter by saying that if after their own investigation they still intend to pursue you, you would like a 'letter of stalemate' from them to enable you to take your complaint to the ombudsman.

4 They will reply eventually (executive escalations) stating that an investigation will take place which could take 8 weeks, they will probably get back to you in 4.

5 While this is happening you will probably be threatened by the paypal minions who seem unaware of the activities of executive escalations, they will probably set the debt collectors on you.

6 As soon as you are contacted by the debt collectors, do not give them any information, they will hang up, but continue calling you every day. Email the executive escalation officer (with this lot you will get a name and they do reply to emails) stating that you are concerned that Paypal have referred the case to a Dca, while a legitimate investigation is taking place and are they aware of the fact that the Financial Ombudman takes a very negative view of these sort of harassment tactics.

7 Its time to wait now, do not get flustered by the debt collectors, pick up the phone, allow them to introduce themselves and calmly state that you have no intention of confirming anything with them and that they should contact you in writing.

8 Unless we are talking about a large sum of money and a very strong case (on their part) i.e you really did sell someone a pile of rubbish, you will win.
    Because firstly they do not want the Financial Ombudsman involved (it will cost them over £300 as soon as that happens) and secondly if you show that you are not intimidated and are willing to face them in court, they will never allow it to get that far because they know they will loose.
    Hope this helps, all this info is out their and on here. I have just put it together in an order that worked for me, if anyone wants letter templates, addresses pm me.
    Tags: None

Re: Paypal Negative Balance

Is it possible you could email the templates to admin here who may be able to add them to the site...
    either send a private message to Amethyst/Tools or email them to admin@legalbeagles.info
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

1 When you sell a pricey item get the money out of papal quickly, you never know who is going to try and fleece you.

Read more at: Paypal Negative Balance - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum
      Might be worth adding that transferring money from Paypal to your bank is usually 3 days on average but by paying a £5 fee you can have it in your bank a lot quicker,usually 24 hours. The £5 fee is obviously only viable if you have sold something expensive.

Another pointer is to find out the track record of whom you're selling too via feedback and by looking at items they have bought previously. You can always ask their other sellers,via ebay messages,if there had been any problems.

Post to Italy & Russia only by fully tracked and insured post as many problems occur with these destinations.

Comment

I have just been put into negative ballance by 2 claims against me within a few days on PayPal! I sold something on eBay and the customers are caiming they never received it, I was in contact with them and advised they wait a little longer as I deffinately posted it, stupidly I did it by Royal mail 1st class, so did not get tracking number for it. paypal then said the customer had made a claim against me, I have tried for days to contact the customer but I just keep getting emails saying my message could not be delivered! I was told I only have so long to fix the dispute! how can I if I cant get through to the customer? I am at a loss what to do now, then within a matter of days another cusutomer bought a second hand mobile phone from me, I explained there was a scratch on the screen but other than that the phone was in good working order, which it was, the customer kept messaging me about the delivery which was late, but it was found to be Royal mails fault as they sent it off to somewhere completely wrong, the customer got their phone then complained that there sound was bad, then within 2 hours of their compaint email I had a claim against me on ebay/paypal saying there was no sound and the scratch was 'massive' the photo shows the scratch and it was not massive! I didn't even have time to message the customer back before I had the complaint against me. I cant use my paypal as it is in negative ballance and the customer wants part of their money back or a full refund, I know the phone was in perfect working order but how do I prove that! the customer said they will send the phoen to ebay to e checked out, I advised that was the best thing to do, they have now said they are going to a mobile phone shop to have it checked out. I am total bemused as what to do now as i've been told all sellers on ebay lose fights against customers. I'm really upset by all this and now have no confidence with ebay or paypal and am at a total loss what to do now. I was warned before using ebay & paypal it was a bad idea, I just wanted to make some spending money and now i have lost out on 2 expencive items sold and I owe more money back!

Comment

Rule one when using ebay is to read all their rules and conditions and to be informed of any problems that might occur when using ebay.

The world is full of those who prey on the naive and it looks as if you have been targeted as you are a ''newbie''.

Failing to send the first item by recorded delivery means that ebay/paypal will refund the buyer their money from your account.

If the buyer is unhappy with the phone then the correct procedure is for them to return the item to you.On it's safe receipt you should then refund their money to them.

If you go to the community section of ebay you will find a number of forums where you can ask for advice from other ebay buyers and sellers who might be able to assist you further.

With ebay it is not only 'Buyer beware',it is also 'Seller beware'.

Comment

Yes, most definately "Seller beware" on ebay these days!
            The problem with the suggestion in the original post of removing your money from paypal following a transaction that might prove problematic, is that your paypal account is still linked to your bank account or credit card. So any chargeback will mean paypal simply taking the money from your bank account back. Seems completely unfair, but I believe this can happen. The only way round this happening is once money has been paid into paypal is to ring you bank and tell them your debit card has been stolen, that'll screw paypal for sure!

Comment

Hi Mcubbin.

Im facing similar, can you send any templates/addresses etc.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X