• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice about Council tax and bailiffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice about Council tax and bailiffs

Need Help please.
    Hi all, new here!!
    I have read all the posts about bailiffs etc.. and feel a little less panicked but not calm as yet!! I totally accept I am at fault for not answering letters etc.. from the Council about this years tax, unfortunately I go into complete panic at letters coming through my door!! I am now in a situation where the Van bailiff is due to call to recover the debt but after reading the advice and forums I wondered if you could clarify a few points?

1/ There is no walking possession order, well, not signed by me anyway. I was away at the time and it was posted through my door.

2/ Before reading about NOT ringing the van bailiff, I did!! I asked him was it right that I had not signed any walking possession order as I hadnt been here. He said that the bailiff doing these was really a glorified postman and it didnt matter that I had not been here. I guess this is totally wrong!!

3/ I completed the forms to pay in installments, as I had previously been in the same situation and sold my car to pay because of a 14 day rule to reply, I checked all the paperwork and did not see anything about 14days. I had just completed a revised Tax credits form so did not have all the paperwork to send. As soon as I recieved it I sent everything in. I did not get a reply or a reason why they would not accept installments, just a letter to say it was now with the van bailiff and to contact him!

4/ I have sent an email to Rossendales stating I still wish to pay by installments and that as I hadnt signed any walking possession order they did not have the right to pass everything to the van bailiff. Am I right?

5/ I have managed to get myself a few days leaway but I dont know for how long. I cannot pay the full amount £1120 in full, in fact not even a small percentage of it!! I am a working single parent with a teenage child at home and have been on medication for anxiety and depression for many years. I also stated that in my email to them.

6/ Can the council take back the debt? Again I realise this is my own fault but I was still paying last years up until Aug when I sold my car to cover the whole amount. I could not afford 2 lots.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Debiberry; 22nd November 2010, 14:05:PM. Reason: Make it clearer that I am asking for help
    Tags: None

Re: Advice about Council tax and bailiffs

What you really need to do is to pay what you can directly to the council. Since Rossendales have not been allowed entry to your property, then you do not have to deal with them.

If they cannot get you to make your payments to them, they will have no choice but to return the debt to the council.

The amount of £1120 you say you owe; do you owe this much in council tax or is this the amount Rossendales say you owe?

I know you said you've read a lot of bailiff threads, but does this include the bailiff guide? If not, you can find that here Bailiff Guide - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

You should also check to see if the bailiff is certificated, which he must be in order to collect unpaid council tax.

Comment

Hi
      The amount I owe to the Council is £996. I have read the Bailiff guide and checked to see the bailiff is certified, he definately is. I am now going to try and pay as much as I can directly to the Council and see where I can go from there.
      Will the bailiffs continue to come knocking? I dont want my daughter to be afraid of the door knocking all the time.

Thank you

Comment

What have they charged you £124 for because the most they can possibly have charged you is £42.50?

I'm afraid they will keep knocking on your door, they want you to pay them and not the council and they will do all they can to intimidate and frighten you into paying them - don't let them do this. Keep them out of your home and you'll be fine.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X