• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Civil Recovery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil Recovery

2 weeks ago after shopping in ASDA, I was apprehended by two security guards from the store. They wished to see my shopping and my receipts. I of course complied and it appeared that not all of my items were on my receipt.

I was then led to a small room where I was detained for some time before a store manager appeared. There were three items that were not on my receipt and pleading my innocence I requested that they watched the CCTV footage.

The CCTV footage, apparently - I was not allowed to see, showed me swiping one of the three discrepancies in my shopping and there was a mix-up when a shopping assistant removed the tag from the second of my items which I then presumed was scanned, the final item the security guard did not tell me whether the CCTV showed me swiping it or not! I of course offered to pay for the items (a maximum of £12) and questioned why the self-service scanner had not registered my items. They returned that I should have checked my receipt instantly and would have noticed the items were missing! Which seems ridiculous...I was issued with, an apparent, nationwide and lifetime ban from all ASDA stores.

It was really frustrating but when the police appeared, I just complied and was issued with an £80 FNP. I paid this a few days later, believing it was no admission of guilt and also believing, as I'd been told by the police in front of the ASDA staff that this would be the end of the matter.

I have since been contacted by Drydens Lawyers. Claiming £0 for goods stolen or damaged and £150 for security costs. Can they really prosecute me? As they have threatened: court proceedings, bailiffs and deductions from my wages!

This seems incredibly unjust as I have not accepted guilt and merely agreed to the FNP as it seemed like less hassle and money than contesting the issue in court.

On closer inspection of the letter from Drydens, they have misspelt my name and after noticing this I checked the ASDA ban and on that too my name is misspelt.

So is this letter even legally aimed at me? Do I need to inform them of the spelling mistake and be reissued with a "Notice of Intended Civil Recovery"?

The letter gave me seven days to act, as of 09 November 2010... feedback or previous cases would be greatly appreciated!
    Tags: None

Re: Civil Recovery

I can't help but I've left a message with someone who can, though it might be a day or two before he's online.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Unit View Post
      2 weeks ago after shopping in ASDA, I was apprehended by two security guards from the store. They wished to see my shopping and my receipts. I of course complied and it appeared that not all of my items were on my receipt.

I was then led to a small room where I was detained for some time before a store manager appeared. There were three items that were not on my receipt and pleading my innocence I requested that they watched the CCTV footage.

The CCTV footage, apparently - I was not allowed to see, showed me swiping one of the three discrepancies in my shopping and there was a mix-up when a shopping assistant removed the tag from the second of my items which I then presumed was scanned, the final item the security guard did not tell me whether the CCTV showed me swiping it or not! I of course offered to pay for the items (a maximum of £12) and questioned why the self-service scanner had not registered my items. They returned that I should have checked my receipt instantly and would have noticed the items were missing! Which seems ridiculous...I was issued with, an apparent, nationwide and lifetime ban from all ASDA stores.

It was really frustrating but when the police appeared, I just complied and was issued with an £80 FNP. I paid this a few days later, believing it was no admission of guilt and also believing, as I'd been told by the police in front of the ASDA staff that this would be the end of the matter.

I have since been contacted by Drydens Lawyers. Claiming £0 for goods stolen or damaged and £150 for security costs. Can they really prosecute me? As they have threatened: court proceedings, bailiffs and deductions from my wages!

This seems incredibly unjust as I have not accepted guilt and merely agreed to the FNP as it seemed like less hassle and money than contesting the issue in court.

On closer inspection of the letter from Drydens, they have misspelt my name and after noticing this I checked the ASDA ban and on that too my name is misspelt.

So is this letter even legally aimed at me? Do I need to inform them of the spelling mistake and be reissued with a "Notice of Intended Civil Recovery"?

The letter gave me seven days to act, as of 09 November 2010... feedback or previous cases would be greatly appreciated!
      1st the spelling mistake is irrelevant & can be easily explained should the matter come to court. 2nd contrary to advice given elsewhere & a general misconceptions a £80 FPN's is NOT an admission of guilt nor does it impugn your character in anyway

3rd Contact me via PM please AND above all don't worry your amongst friends

Comment

Check out this link
        http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/press_20101206

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X