• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How to stop Debt Collection Phone Calls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to stop Debt Collection Phone Calls

You wanna try dealing with a company called Viking, at first i thought they were the stationary people and said to my hubby, did you order printer paper cos i think your order is in!

They are rude, obnoxious, ask personal questions, ask for alternative numbers and if they dont get the info the continue to ring as though that is going to wear you down to give them it!
    The latest threat i have had is, unless we talk to him TODAY we WILL call back tomorrow!

I have started to answer the phone with No, hes not here, no i dont know when he will be in, no i dont have an alternative number and i will give you the same info tomorrow Viking!!

friends have learnt to wait for this little tirade before they even say hi! the best part is, they want him to ring but have no incoming calls on their lines!!

Comment

Originally posted by glumbabe View Post
      Iqor keep phoning me. My debt counsellors say they refuse to speak to them. I have serious cancer and though the debt agency has written to them about this they continue to phone me every day. I read that they come to people's homes and harass them. When will this new government do something to rein in debt agencies instead of banging on all the time about people on benefit?
      Hello Glumbabe,

There is legislation that has been in force since 1997 to deal with low-life like this. It's called the Protection from Harassment Act 1997. If you have been contacted on at least two occasions by the DCA, they are committing an offence which carries a fine of up to £20K, or a prison term not exceeding six months, or both. There are provisions under Section 3 of the Act which enables a court injunction to be imposed on harassers and this carries a maximum penalty of an unlimited fine, up to five years imprisonment, or both.

Bluebottle
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
        When was a DCA last prosecuted?

Not Scotcall, then?
        Can't say I've had to deal with Scotcall on behalf of others. Moorcroft have pretty obnoxious employees. Perhaps, Scotcall's managers work for Moorcroft as well.

If OFT receive enough complaints about a DCA, they can use failure to comply with Debt Collection Guidelines as a lever to revoking their licence. The Protection from Harassment Act 1997 is pretty useful for dealing with DCAs, particularly, the civil remedy provisions under Section 3. Defy an injunction granted under Section 3 and it's an unlimited fine, or up to five years in one of H.M. Holiday Camps, or both, if the judge sees fit. Also, check out Section 7 of the Act which stops DCA vermin getting their pals in other DCAs to carry on the harassment. The section makes it an offence to "aid, abet, counsel or procure another" in the commission of a course of conduct amounting to harassment. I love this piece of legislation because it targets bullies AND their henchman and it enables the victim to recover damages, as well as seeing their tormentor(s) go away for an enforced "holiday".
        Last edited by bluebottle; 5th February 2012, 17:03:PM.

Comment

The very worst of all are GoDebt, the very mention of that name makes my blood run cold.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
            I wonder if anyone has yet been able to speak with Hugh Janus on 0161 872 5050. :rofl:
            He's probably speaking with Norma Stitts.

Comment

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...read.php?t=286 here you will find a selection of harrassment letters should you need to use them and amend to your circumstances.

Comment

you wanna stop DCA'S ringing?

Tell em you are on Legal Beagles... they tend to have problems breathing, faint, go purple and then disappear up their own phone lines

Comment

Alternatively:

Comment

Received a phone call from BT, informing me that he was disconnecting me because of an unpaid bill.. He demanded payment immediately of £31.00 or it would be £ 118.00 to re-connect at a later date. The guy wasn't even fazed when I told him I was with Virgin Media, allegedly VM have to pay BT a percentage for line rental! I asked the guy's name - he gave me the very 'English' John Peacock with a very 'African' accent - & phone number -0800 0800 152. Obviously the fellow realized I didn't believe his story, so offered to demonstrate that he was from BT. I asked how & he told me to hang up & try phoning someone - he would disconnect my phone to prevent this. AND HE DID !! My phone was dead - no engaged tone, nothing - until he phoned me again. Very pleased with himself, he asked if that was enough proof that he was with BT. I asked how the payment was to be made & he said credit card, there & then. I said that I didn't know how he'd done it, but I had absolutely no intention of paying him, I didn't believe his name or that he worked for BT. He hung up. I dialed 1471 -number withheld I phoned his fictitious 0800 number - not recognized. So I phoned the police to let them know. I wasn't the first! It's only just started apparently, but it is escalating. Their advice was to let as many people as possible know of this scam. I found out a very good database here http://www.tellows.co.uk/ where I also shared my experience. The fact that the phone does go off would probably convince some people it's real, so please make as many friends & family aware of this. How is it done? This is good but not that clever. He gave the wrong number - it should have been 0800 800 152 which takes you through to BT Business. The cutting off of the line is very simple, he stays on the line with the mute button on and you can't dial out - but he can hear you trying. (This is because the person who initiates a call is the one to terminate it). When you stop trying he cuts off and immediately calls back. You could almost be convinced! The sad thing is that it is so simple that it will certainly fool many. By the way this is not about getting the cash as this would not get past merchant services - it is all about getting the credit card details which include the security number, to be used for larger purchases.

Comment

The above story went around the internet in 2009 and is featured here with more information.
                      http://www.hoax-slayer.com/bt-unpaid...one-scam.shtml

The police would not issue the advice you have stated above
                      "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                      (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

LauraRa, you should probably start a new thread with this because this one is about DCAs rather than phone scams, which is a totally different subject.

Comment

I thought it was an old hoax thingy leclerc,cos even I've heard of it lol

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
                            I thought it was an old hoax thingy leclerc,cos even I've heard of it lol
                            So did I, but it's not a hoax but it is effectively a post specifically aimed at highlighting the website "tellows" since most people use "whocallsme". I am dubious about all organisation asking for phone numbers regardless of who they are as you are never 100% certain as to how that telephone number is used.
                            "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                            (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                              So did I, but it's not a hoax but it is effectively a post specifically aimed at highlighting the website "tellows" since most people use "whocallsme". I am dubious about all organisation asking for phone numbers regardless of who they are as you are never 100% certain as to how that telephone number is used.
                              In the case of mobile numbers, they can be used to send you unsolicited txts that you have to pay for, :rant: that happened to me a few years ago, when I did a 'free' online IQ test I saw advertised on FB (normally don't do that sort of thing but I was waiting for something else), having completed it, I was asked to supply a mobile number to obtain my results by txt. I then started to receive regular txts with silly questions and answers, which I ignored. Being on a contract without paper bills, I didn't notice the charges for around 3 months, when I found I'd been charged for all those silly txts! Vodafone declined responsibility and that was before I'd found these useful forums.

Comment

No,,I meant that the phone calls are hoax,,just to get credit card details. I don't give my home number out except to family and friends.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X