• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Registered Post

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registered Post

Chatting to the owner of our local Post Office today I discovered something interesting, especially in light of how many times we advise people on this site to send letters recorded delivery.

Did you know sending it recorded delivery holds no guarantee of the letter even getting there? If you want to guarantee it is received and signed for you need to send it Special Delivery.

Only discovered as two out of four letters I sent last week are showing as not having been delivered.

Hope this may help someone at some stage!

Re: Registered Post

Good point Casper

I always use and suggest special delivery as from my own experience recorded delivery if not signed they cannot trace.

Special Delivery however has for some unknown reason a better trail and normally arrives.

So why does the post office offer recorded delivery?

What benefits are there in using Recorded Delivery over Special Delivery?

Tuttsi

Comment

From what I gathered speaking to our postmaster this morning recorded delivery is just 1st class but requires a signature, but in his words, "Often they get delivered without being signed for."

How?

One of mine "unreceived" was to the council. Apparantly most of their mail gets lumped together in one big pile and if the recorded one is half way down the pile it won't be signed for. Special delivery guarantees next working day delivery and HAS to be signed for. He said it's the only really safe way to send a letter!

Comment

All you really need is a Certificate of Posting and this is free. Documents are deemed served after two days when posted First Class.

Of course, if the goods being posted have a value, then the appropriate service providing insurance should be used.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
          All you really need is a Certificate of Posting and this is free. Documents are deemed served after two days when posted First Class.

Of course, if the goods being posted have a value, then the appropriate service providing insurance should be used.
          I know what you're saying, but surely when dealing with debts etc... it could potentially be useful to say I sent this letter on x date. It was received and signed for by Joe Bloggs on y date. Stops any firms being able to claim they didn't get the letter.

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
            I know what you're saying, but surely when dealing with debts etc... it could potentially be useful to say I sent this letter on x date. It was received and signed for by Joe Bloggs on y date. Stops any firms being able to claim they didn't get the letter.
            Evidence of your actions are what YOU need and so if they claim non receipt then you have evidence that you sent it. Remember, if they take you to court and you have proof of posting then there is no dispute as to he said, she said. Why do YOU need to help THEM to know that they received something by post?
            "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
            (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
              Evidence of your actions are what YOU need and so if they claim non receipt then you have evidence that you sent it. Remember, if they take you to court and you have proof of posting then there is no dispute as to he said, she said. Why do YOU need to help THEM to know that they received something by post?
              Maybe YOU can help YOURSELF by proving they received it, especially if they deny the fact. I agree you need evidence of your own actions. As they say in science, "Every action has an equal and opposite reaction." The thing here is that both the action and the reaction are working for YOU. In no way can I see you are helping them by having proof they received an important document. How many times have you read on these forums they haven't responded to my CCA request or SAR request. THey cold reasonably argue they never received it however much YOU can prove you posted it. IF you can also prove they received it and signed for it, surely that is a good thing. It proves beyond all reasonable doubt they have not taken action on it, against the law.

I admit to being new to this, but this argument doesn't make sense any other way to me. Perhaps somebody can explain it in a way I understand?

Comment

CPR Part 6 deals with the service of documents. Paying extra for a signature is simply not necessary.

Proof beyond reasonable doubt is not required in civil law, as the burden of proof is lower. Thus a civil court will accept a Certificate of Posting and will not require anything further.

Comment

So basically all the advice on here saying send it recorded delivery is actually just wasting people's money? They might as well send it first class and keep receipt as proof of posting.

When you think of the number of letters sent by people on this site (including me) and multiply it up, it could save us a LOT of money in the long run. This must be worth pointing out as we are the people who need to be saving money due to our debts.

I checked the law you stated and you are absolutely right! Thank you!

Comment

I never advise anything other than obtaining a free Certificate of Posting. However, people have a free will and are presumably able to make up their own minds on how they send their correspondence.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
                      I never advise anything other than obtaining a free Certificate of Posting. However, people have a free will and are presumably able to make up their own minds on how they send their correspondence.
                      I agree totally Amy. It's just that I've read a lot of posts recently whilst trying to improve my knowledge so I can increase my useful contributions to the site, and a lot have said send x or y Recorded Delivery. I'm not trying to make an issue of it, but it would be good if those who are stating recorded delivery read this thread and changed their wording.

At the end of the day people can do what they want, but I suspect most, as I did, will follow the advice to the letter. Just trying to save people a few pennies. Well done you for already doing this!!!!

Comment

I agree totally Amy. It's just that I've read a lot of posts recently whilst trying to improve my knowledge so I can increase my useful contributions to the site, and a lot have said send x or y Recorded Delivery. I'm not trying to make an issue of it, but it would be good if those who are stating recorded delivery read this thread and changed their wording.

At the end of the day people can do what they want, but I suspect most, as I did, will follow the advice to the letter. Just trying to save people a few pennies. Well done you for already doing this!!!!
                        I understand where you are coming from Casper.

When you have such little funds, paying for recorded delivery ( which isnt too bad) and paying for special delivery is soooo expensive when you are on a low income or benefits.

Comment

All my recorded delivery have arrived & signed for (luckely), but at the end of the day, payment of cash for a service contitutes a contract and system carried out? ( if not makes trading in this country a joke/lottery) okay I do not win the lottery either.:seagull:

Comment

Chatting to the owner of our local Post Office today I discovered something interesting, especially in light of how many times we advise people on this site to send letters recorded delivery.

Did you know sending it recorded delivery holds no guarantee of the letter even getting there? If you want to guarantee it is received and signed for you need to send it Special Delivery.

Only discovered as two out of four letters I sent last week are showing as not having been delivered.

Hope this may help someone at some stage!
                            so what, exactly, are we paying for? can you ask the owner of your local post office that question on our behalf. cheers.

Comment

If I need to be able to prove beyond a shred of doubt that someone received something - if only for my own peace of mind - I would send it Special Delivery and print off the confirmation of delivery, signature etc. from the royal mail website.

(Got a few of those salted away from bygone years.)

If it is not so vital just proof of postage will do.

I have had far too many Recorded Delivery items drop through my letter box without giving the postman a signature to trust that.
                              Last edited by Zazen.Warrior; 15th October 2010, 11:25:AM.
                              Scottish Wildcat Association, conserving Scotland's critically endangered wild felines

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X