• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Change of Direction

Collapse
This thread is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of Direction

Okay, lets keep this topic rolling.

Out of all the members on here, Do we have any career's advisor's :rolleyes:
    (not to sure whether this is allowed)

I'd like a bit of advice on a career move. even at my age :rolleyes:

Re: Change of Direction

What do you currently do? What would your dream job be?

What do you enjoy doing?

Comment

I'm not a career advisor, and i dont know how old you are.
      BUT if you can afford to do it, I would change career.
      I'm all for Job satisfaction over money personally

My wife used to work at asda stacking shelves, but last year she started a PT accounts course at the local college, it cost us £600 for the year, but in March this year she left Asda and got a job as an accounts assistant. She is much happier, on more money, and the company are paying for her 2nd year at college.

PKea

Comment

dOES THIS HELP:

Profile Summary:
        A proactive, conscientious and dependable electrical / mechanical repair engineer with 15 years experience,
        with 2 years at supervisory level.
        Possessing strong communication and organisational skills, as well as an eye for detail. A positive and enthusiastic attitude
        towards all challenges. With experience in Quality Control and the purchasing sector.
        Other areas of experience include;
        * fault diagnostics and rectification
        * customer and technical support
        * management and customer relations
        * exceptional team working or on own initiative
        * planned maintenance
        * electric motor repair
        * research and design

Employment details:

Duration: Feb 2006 - Present Stay at Home Dad

Position: Volunteer advisor for a consumer website
        Responsibilities: To advise, using experience and extensive research into consumer law, on many consumer related issues.
        Duration: Oct 2004 - Feb 2006 Company: XXXXXXXXXXX LTD
        Position: Quality Control
        Responsibilities: Liaising with managers on all internal and external systems & procedures, as well as improving,
        wherever necessary. Using research and design techniques to improve the safety and quality
        of workshop equipment and tooling. Whilst in continual contact with suppliers to improve efficiency
        and lead time on all imports. Product reports to highlight continual quality and safety compliance.
        * assisting in the testing, R & D and reports, on the initial sample products
        * assist in compiling instruction and safety manuals for various items of equipment
        * respond to any quality issues with any of the products
        * product return reports against high return items
        * improve product design and functionality, whenever necessary
        * raising debit notes against suppliers for any non conformities
        * submit corrective action reports to suppliers and or senior management, against any non conformities
        * ensuring all products are certified according to current European directive's, whilst reacting to any certification issues
        * implementing local government legislation ( WEEE & RoHS Directive )
        * performing random goods inspections on both imported goods from suppliers and goods ready for dispatch
        * working with suppliers to ensure the quality of the product is of the highest possible standard
        * customer and technical product support

Duration: Oct 2003 - Oct 2004 Company: XXXXXXXXXXXXX LTD
        Position: Service Engineer
        Responsibilities: Insuring the quality repair of customer credit and warranty products within a workshop environment.
        Products including, cooling fans, air conditioner units, woodworking equipment, hand held electrical & air
        powered equipment also compressors, welders and workshop tooling.
        * full test and report on all returned products
        * to fully repair faulty products or to recommend replacement under warranty

Duration: May 2001 - Oct 2003 Company: East XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
        Position: Electrical Repairer
        Responsibilities: The complete overhaul and repair of electrical rotating machinery, including electric motors
        ac/dc, gearboxes, variable speed units, pump units, clutch and brake units as well as transformers.
        Fault finding of electrical plant and discussing replacement units with customers
        * Dealing with customer requirements
        * Electric motor repair
        * Fault diagnostics and repair of electrical and mechanical equipment
        * On-site working, whilst observing the customers health and safety requirements

Duration: March 22nd 2001 - May 14th 2001 : Actively seeking work

Duration: November 2000 - March 2001 Company: British Gas
        Position: Field Sales Advisor
        Responsibilities: To visit British Gas customers, of past, present and future, informing them
        of the savings available by switching to British Gas for their utility supplies
        Also selling the wide variety of services offered by British Gas and The Centrica Group.
        * dealing with customers on a one to one basis ( in their home )
        * the completion of all documentation, regarding the switch over of utility supplies
        * always being on hand to all customers queries regarding any aspects of British Gas Services.

Duration: August 30th 2000 - November 5th 2000: Actively seeking work

Duration: August 22nd 1989 - August 29th 2000 Company: Dowding & Mills
        Position: Work supervisor
        Responsibilities: To ensure day to day running of all operations regarding all aspects of electric motors (all AC/DC
        machines) and electrical / mechanical plant refurbishment and/or replacement.
        * the supervision of a team of engineers
        * dealing on a one to one basis with customers.
        * advised and assisted others less experienced team members
        * assisted in the training and development of apprentices
        * parts and order processing
        * planned on site working
        * fault finding and repair of elecrical rotating machinery
        * mechanical repair

Qualifications:
        City and Guilds Certificate
        Part One certificate in installation, manufacture and maintenance of electrical plant
        Part Two certificate in Manufacture and maintenance techniques
        The supplementary studies certificate in electrical installation work : Electronics
        Level 3 Certificate in the requirements for electrical installations (BS7671) (16th Edition)
        Soon to start: Bachelor of Laws (Honours) Open University Home Study Course

Oh yeah I'm 36 and want to give back to the community some how, helping others.

Comment

Even at your age pmsl you are so not old.

You havent mentioned the course you are starting in Feb ? To what end are you taking that....hows about some thing like citizens advice - depends how much stress you want but comes hand in hand with job satisfaction.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            Even at your age pmsl you are so not old.

You havent mentioned the course you are starting in Feb ? To what end are you taking that....hows about some thing like citizens advice - depends how much stress you want but comes hand in hand with job satisfaction.
            yeah I did

Soon to start: Bachelor of Laws (Honours) Open University Home Study Course

the very last line

to what end eerrrrr it was mainly just to further my knowledge, we'll see how the course goes. If I find it ok, I could go on to the next year and take it from there. That's providing I don't have to take the bankrupt route.

Thought about citizens advice, I could do that, I enjoy helping people. I'll have a gander on the web.

Comment

Lol i thought CAB was voluntary work

Comment

lol I know thats what I thought when i first lucked at it.
                Paying £20k for voluntary work, I'll take it.
                Rang for application pack this afternoon, lets see shall we. :roll:

Comment

I thought about doing some CAB work, but they don't open enough hours for me to work there :rolleyes: so i didn't bother. Help on here etc instead (where i can)

Comment

.....and we're all better for it :carrot:

I don't mind working 35 hrs a week. had enough of working12hr days and 12hr nights plus overtime.
                    Last edited by thephoenix; 6th October 2007, 00:47:AM.

Comment

my OH was self employed, she was sacked, with my help she took the company to an employment tribunal (employment tribunals do not deal with self emloyed), they settled out of tribunal, I have been shafted by many an employer, if I can help, I will, pm me, many self employed people who supply a contract of service, are having their pants pulled down. Pm me to talk about a position of control, certain self employed people work under, this also applies to mobile phone contracts etc, for free of course

Comment

well.....I attended CAB for the voluntary position, they have no vacancies until Jan.
                        but because of current advice work, they will invite me in on some client interviews through Dec....which should be good.

Application for full time paid position within the CAB was not successful this time. Oh well....keep trying I guess.

I have looked at other avenues, like Trading standards within the consumer protection environment . Just awaiting initial information from them.

I've search the Civil Service portal for vacancies, coming across a vacancy within errrrr well actually I'm not supposed to tell anyone, so there is a clue

I'll continue looking though...................

Comment

Good one on the CAB volunteer work! Shame about the paid work though , but I suppose you can't win them all. I looked briefly at the TS route, but they don't pay enough, would probably be more interesting than my current job though

Good luck with the Secret job (mr / mrs bond )

Comment

Originally posted by Paradox View Post

Good luck with the Secret job (mr bond )
                            Almost........one floor below :roll:

Not really on option unfortunately, you need to live to close to London for this.
                            I have no intention on moving down there and I certainly aint commuting 4 odd hours every day :shush: :roll:
                            Not quite as glamorous as Bond but would of been very very very very interesting though.

So what are you currently doing P?

Comment

I don't do anything I mean, I'm a sales rep that works very hard!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X