• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Basic Account - New visa card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Account - New visa card

Morning peeps!

On Tuesday I tried to buy a train ticket using my basic account visa debit card. I had sufficient funds "available balance" on the account to pay for the ticket. Payment was declined.

I made a second and a third attempt. All were declined. I have three receipts showing "authoriser declined".

I spent the rest of the day trying to get this sorted out through the general number 08457 302010 but was sent round and round in circles by people who didn't understand how their own system works... They kept telling me that I didn't have enough in the "available balance". I kept telling them that I had had enough in the "available balance" to cover the cost of the ticket.

I tried to ring Complaints and Head Office but could not. Both are, purportedly, on the same number but you do not get the option to press x button on the handset to be put through to either of them...

Eventually I managed to get hold of their Visa Complaints Dept who have now told me - and this is exactly what they said "the authorisation did go through at Nationwide. We have rung HSBC to find out why they declined to accept payment (the retailer's bank). The retailer hadn't put the transaction through properly. The retailer should have telephoned HSBC to find out why it was declined".

Personally I have never heard such a load of tosh. This is a chip and pin card in a chip and pin machine. The retailer inputs your ticket requirements, the system calculates the cost, you put your card into the machine, PIN etc.

The funds are still showing as blocked on my account.

I am getting nowhere with Nationwide who are extremely vague and say "it'll either come out of the account in 2 - 3 days or the retailer will stop the request for payment". Apparently if the payment does go through I then have to start a claim for a refund which will probably run on for ages.

Any ideas for getting this sorted sooner rather than later?

Re: Basic Account - New visa card

Originally posted by bottomburp View Post
    Morning peeps!

On Tuesday I tried to buy a train ticket using my basic account visa debit card. I had sufficient funds "available balance" on the account to pay for the ticket. Payment was declined.

I made a second and a third attempt. All were declined. I have three receipts showing "authoriser declined".

I spent the rest of the day trying to get this sorted out through the general number 08457 302010 but was sent round and round in circles by people who didn't understand how their own system works... They kept telling me that I didn't have enough in the "available balance". I kept telling them that I had had enough in the "available balance" to cover the cost of the ticket.

I tried to ring Complaints and Head Office but could not. Both are, purportedly, on the same number but you do not get the option to press x button on the handset to be put through to either of them...

Eventually I managed to get hold of their Visa Complaints Dept who have now told me - and this is exactly what they said "the authorisation did go through at Nationwide. We have rung HSBC to find out why they declined to accept payment (the retailer's bank). The retailer hadn't put the transaction through properly. The retailer should have telephoned HSBC to find out why it was declined".

Personally I have never heard such a load of tosh. This is a chip and pin card in a chip and pin machine. The retailer inputs your ticket requirements, the system calculates the cost, you put your card into the machine, PIN etc.

The funds are still showing as blocked on my account.

I am getting nowhere with Nationwide who are extremely vague and say "it'll either come out of the account in 2 - 3 days or the retailer will stop the request for payment". Apparently if the payment does go through I then have to start a claim for a refund which will probably run on for ages.

Any ideas for getting this sorted sooner rather than later?
    It might be worth opening another basic account in case Nationwide start being funny. I have a Cashminder basic account with the co-op and have always found them excellent, but like any bank I guess others have had negative experiences wwith them.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X