• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employment Question

Collapse
This thread is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Employment Question

Rights to notice

Legislation gives the right both to employer and employee of a minimum period of notice of termination of employment, provided that the employee has been continuously employed for one month or more.
    If a contract of employment gives the employer or the employee rights to longer notice than the minimum in the legislation, then the longer period of notice applies.
    The legislation does not prevent either employers or employees from waiving their rights to notice or from accepting a payment in lieu of notice. Nor does the Act affect the right of either party to terminate the contract without notice if the conduct of the other justifies it. The question of whether termination without notice is justified depends on the circumstances of the individual case and in the event of dispute can be finally determined only by the courts or employment tribunals.
    Where the right to minimum notice does not apply

The employee’s right to a minimum period of notice does not apply to:
    • anyone who is not an employee, for example an independent contractor or free-lance agent;
    • a person employed as a seaman on a ship registered in the United Kingdom under a crew agreement the provisions and form of which are of a kind approved by the Secretary of State for Transport;
    • Crown servants and members of the armed forces;
    • generally, employees who have fixed-term contracts (see Fixed-term contracts).
    Continuous employment

A period of continuous employment forms the basic qualification for a number of individual rights under the employment protection legislation, including rights to notice and to receive a written statement of reasons for dismissal; each right has its own qualifying period. The document Continuous employment and a week’s pay sets out the method of calculating the period of continuous service.
    Note: The period spent by trainees on certain (but not all) Government training schemes does not count towards a period of continuous employment because the trainees are not employees (that is, they are not working under a contract of employment). Further information and advice on this point may be obtained from any office of the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service, the addresses of which are given at the end of this document.
    Notice to be given by an employer

An employer is required to give an employee:
    • at least one week’s notice if the employee has been employed by the employer continuously for one month or more but for less than two years;
    • at least two weeks’ notice if the employee has been employed by the employer continuously for two years’ and
    • one additional week’s notice for each further complete year of continuous employment for a period of less than 12 years’ continuous employment; and at least 12 weeks’ notice if the employee has been employed by the employer continuously for 12 years or more.
    Notice to be given by an employee

An employee is required to give his or her employer at least one week’s notice if employed continuously for one month or more by that employer. This minimum is unaffected by longer service.

taken from http://www.berr.gov.uk/employment/em...enbyanemployee

Comment

Ooooooo Playboy. Been a while since I worked there. :carrot: (not a reference to anything)

:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Comment

My last resignation letter was simple.

Originally posted by Paradox
        Dear Sir.

Please accept this letter as written notice of my intention to leave the company.

My last day will be xx/xx/xx.

Thank you for the oppourtunity you have given me.

Yours Faithfully

Paradox.
        Keep it simple, the less info you give, the better.

Yes Phoenix, I have I change jobs around every 2 years, always for more money, better prospects and a better job. Although my current job is cracking, I think I'll break my 2 year record this time!

Comment

Simple is best, bit like me :kiss:

So basically the statutory period of notice, if employed for more than a month yet less than 12 months, is one week.
          But if your contract states you need to give one Month, you have to give one month.
          That can't be right.

Paradox

Wot you do? and where you workin? I'm currently looking for a job.

Comment

I'm a sales rep, workin in North Yorkshire (Near Leeds.. Yes i know, Leeds is West Yorkshire )

Comment

Lol paradox, the longest i have stayed in a job is 4yrs but thats only because i loved it so much!
              I get itchy feet

Comment

he ain't got a copy of the contract so doesn't know if there is a provision for an extended notice period or not. he don't make things easy does he.

gonna keep it so simple just like Paradox letter but no idea of last day of work.

Tried sales before, working for british gas....yeah you got it... the irritating door knockers, excellent money though.

Comment

Originally posted by thephoenix View Post

gonna keep it so simple just like Paradox letter but no idea of last day of work.
                  Make sure you spell 'opportunity' correctly then.

Comment

Damn yank auto spell corrector msl:

Comment

As an emplyee, you have no rights backed by the Employment tribunal or ACAS unless.
                      You have a minimal of 6 months work, with 1 years agreed contractual service agreemnet, and you need to file a complaint, no more than 3 months after the termaination

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X