• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Global Debt Collection Agency

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Debt Collection Agency

A member of the IRA gang responsible for the death of Detective Garda Jerry McCabe has set up a debt collection agency in the Republic of Ireland with an ex-garda who was jailed for leaking intelligence to the IRA.

John Quinn, 43, who served six years in jail for conspiracy to commit the robbery in Adare, Co Limerick, is listed as a director of Global Debt Collection Agency, which was registered in May last year. His co-director is Denis Kelly, 47, who is a former garda.

Quinn was described as a "gopher" and "messenger boy" in the IRA's 1996 post office robbery, in which Det Gda McCabe was gunned down and his colleague Ben O'Sullivan was seriously injured.

Kelly, meanwhile, was jailed for five years in 1992 after he was found guilty of tipping off the IRA about impending garda raids on arms dumps.

The ex-garda and the convicted IRA robber are registered on company documents, which give the address of the firm as Faha in Limerick.

Garda sources say they have received no complaints about the business. But the involvement of two convicts in recovering debts from cash-strapped businesses highlights the lack of regulation in the booming debt-collection sector.

Consumer and legal groups have repeatedly warned about the need to monitor the plethora of new debt recovery agencies that have mushroomed during the recession. The Law Reform Commission recommended the regulation of debt collection agencies earlier this year while the Free Legal Advice Centres have also called for urgent monitoring.

Justice Minister Dermot Ahern is understood to be examining ways of regulating the industry.

Kelly and Quinn are among a number of former prisoners to have joined the debt collection business. Martin Foley, a one-time henchman of Martin Cahill who has survived several assassination attempts, was one of the first in the business with Viper Debt Recovery and Repossession Services.

In a separate case, the garda's organised crime unit is investigating the involvement of criminals in debt collecting in the Dublin area. Five men were arrested in Dublin last month for allegedly aggressive debt collection.

Quinn was described in court as the "messenger" or "gopher" for the IRA gang behind the botched robbery in 1996. Quinn was charged with the unlawful possession of ammunition and with conspiring to commit a robbery. He eventually pleaded guilty to the conspiracy charge and was sentenced to six years in jail. During his sentencing hearing, the court heard that Quinn was a carpenter who worked for his father's construction firm, and had no previous convictions. He claimed to "deeply regret" the killing of the detective.

During his trial, gardai said that Quinn repeatedly claimed he was a "dead man" and would be found in south Armagh with a bag over his head. He allegedly told gardai off the record: "I'm a dead man. I'm looking at 30 years, ye know that. What if this got sanctioned from above? Where do I stand? I know it got the nod from above. I was told I'd be found in south Armagh with a bag over my head."

Four other IRA men, Pearse McAuley, Kevin Walsh, Michael O'Neill and Jeremiah Sheehy, pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of Det Gda McCabe.

Former garda Kelly, who is originally from Cullen, Mallow, in north Co Cork, was stationed in Henry Street garda station in Limerick city centre during the 1990s when he was caught passing information to the IRA. At the time, gardai suspected that the IRA was getting tip-offs about impending raids on arms dumps.

Kelly was caught taking notes from a confidential fax ordering a swoop on three IRA arms dumps. Detectives then followed him to a phone box where he telephoned his IRA contact to pass on the details. Kelly was later released after serving three years of a five-year sentence.

Source Sunday Independent

As if we didnt already think DCAs were crooks here is some proof

Re: Global Debt Collection Agency

Hi ODC (long time no speak )
    Things like this dont suprise me - the industry is rife with gangster type figures, most of them under the disguise of "business men" & dressed in suits etc....

Comment

Nr Ton welcome to the other side. You wont find it as narrow minded as GAG.

Looking forward to some of your excellent posts

Comment

As you may or may not know ODC - i was banned from posting on CAG thanks to a certain over zealous mod on there who said quote "my head would spin so fast i wouldnt know what day it was" - when i messaged back & asked who the hell they thought they were speaking to like that, thats when i got the posting ban.
        CAG has sold out to the industry & become too much of a business its own right - its forgotten why it was there in the 1st place.
        Have you seen what that site looks like now? to call it a dogs dinner would be an understatement. :tinysmile_cry_t:
        CAG's fall from grace has been nothing short of staggering in my view.
        Anyhow - i look back now & see it all as a blessing in disguise what happened.
        I have been happily posting away on the moneysavingexpert forum over recent months & have just signed up to this one from yesterday.

Comment

Quite a few of us got banned over on GAG when we complained about the Leeds Losers and their lackies posting on GAG. It now seems that GAG is a trading style of the Lowell Group.

Comment

any provos on cag?

Comment

A Provo working with a Garda? Just fancy that!

Comment

What has happened to CAG exactly? Its a right mess and nothing is formatted right (even when you can see it)!!

I used to like reading all the info you guys posted, seems i'll have to pop in here more often......

& does Natty (natweststaffmember) still come here?

Comment

Hi Never-in-doubt and welcome.

I've not seen Natweststaffmember for a while now??

So not sure there.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post

So not sure there.
                    Hi Di, hows it going....?

Ahhh, I bet he still posts on the green side, i'll have to go chase him down lol.

Hope you're keeping alright....?

Comment

Originally posted by never-in-doubt View Post
                      What has happened to CAG exactly? Its a right mess and nothing is formatted right (even when you can see it)!!

I used to like reading all the info you guys posted, seems i'll have to pop in here more often......

& does Natty (natweststaffmember) still come here?
                      Morning, Lunchtime and Night.....and glad to see YOU have arrived here too . Leclerc is the non bankified name since it's been a long time since i was an nwsm.
                      ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------

So not sure there.

You have but you just didn't know it.....cheeky mare
                      Last edited by leclerc; 26th October 2010, 05:50:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                      (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                        Morning, Lunchtime and Night.....and glad to see YOU have arrived here too . Leclerc is the non bankified name since it's been a long time since i was an nwsm.

You have but you just didn't know it.....cheeky mare

Hmmm omg :tinysmile_aha_t: LOL, I did not realise this was you ray::o sorry , nice to see you here too.
                        Originally posted by never-in-doubt View Post
                        Hi Di, hows it going....?

Ahhh, I bet he still posts on the green side, i'll have to go chase him down lol.

Hope you're keeping alright....?

Yeah not too bad thank you.

Well we have found NWST ........I feel a right wally now, did not realise he was leclerc, gawd I am slow, yet they don't call me "Dizzy Di" for nothing :bounce::bounce::biggrin1:
                        Last edited by di30; 26th October 2010, 09:47:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Hmmm omg :tinysmile_aha_t: LOL, I did not realise this was you ray::o sorry , nice to see you here too.

Yeah not too bad thank you.

Well we have found NWST ........I feel a right wally now, did not realise he was leclerc, gawd I am slow, yet they don't call me "Dizzy Di" for nothing :bounce::bounce::biggrin1:
                          I more or less said the same of myself yesterday while talking to a bank customer services and they promptly cut me off as they believed I was calling them a wally and not myself :o
                          "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                          (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

I more or less said the same of myself yesterday while talking to a bank customer services and they promptly cut me off as they believed I was calling them a wally and not myself :o
                            lmao :tape2::grin:

Comment

Oh god - lol, I should have realised you did after all PM me your username here LOL. PLUS I just spotted it in your siggy --- Ooops

Hi mate - hope you're ok? I had a slightly different issue than pt2537 in that I wasn't chased out of CAG - instead I was abused out of MSE - but then hey, they both now have competition cos all their best members are leaving and jumping ship!

Their loss, muppets! I recognise so many names here - it's funny

Anyway, glad to see you - I may go get your "mate" Premier from MSE to come and join, just so you can humiliate him with your knowledge again hehe
                              Last edited by never-in-doubt; 26th October 2010, 18:52:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X