• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

problems with HFO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with HFO

Hi All,

I am having serious problems with HFO! I had a barclaycard debt which was apparently sold to HFO and having been paying them up until Januray this year. They sent me a letter saying that instead of £300 I now owe £950. The reason I stopped paying was because I was going to reclaim my credit card charges. Now I hadn't heard anything from them until this week where there were missed calls on my mobile, landline and then they rang my work! I told them to ring my home, which they did do the following day, I refused to give any personal information out at first and she said well we have it here, then proceeded to tell me about details from my credit ref agency file. I was told that or shouted at that they will take legal proceedings against me. I was then put through to a manager who 'kindly' reduced the debt to £560, if I gave him my debit card number and agree to pay £100 pm. Stupidly, I did do! I was quite worried and did a search on them and have found this website and money saving webite and to my horror realised I should not have spoken to them. I have spoken to citizens advice, who didnt realise I could reclaim credit card charges! Spoken to OFT who took details but are unable to look into individual complaints. National Debtline said write your letter to Barclaycard about reclaiming and tell HFO to only write to me!

Now I am so worried after reading the forums and I dont know how or what to put in the letter to HFO? will they get worse and ring work again?

thanks

Re: hfo/turnbull rutherford

Hi Brusselsprout.

would probably best if you started your own thread, give as much detail as you can and then we'll be able to advise. First piece of advice is, don't speak to them on the phone. Ever. Keep everything in writing. As for giving them your debit card number, you need to get this arrangement cancelled asap. I'm not exactly sure how you go about that, but probably best to write to them straight away staing that you do not give them permission to take any further payments from your debit card.

Anyway, start your own thread and someone will no doubt be along to give advice.

I'll see if i can get a team member to start a thread for you and move these posts onto it.
    Is no longer here

Comment

Re: problems with HFO

Hi WendyB

Thank you. I have cancelled my debit card with the bank, now.

Comment

By the way, Hfo said they do not know of any refund of credit card charges and they are legally entitled to add charges of their own and charge what they like!

Comment

HFO, interesting "people".
          Did they explain why the debt had increased in such a manner ?

Have a look at the first link in my siggie for some useful pointers.

Comment

Hi Curlyben

I presume that it was because I stopped paying them. I think when I was talking to them I was quite frightened and realised that these were nasty people and how far would they go, so I must ask and write to them now.

I am sorry for being thick, just finding my way around, do you mean your link on dealing with DCA'S ?

Comment

Just because you stopped paying them DOESN'T mean the balance should increase in this manner. A DCA cannot simple add charges, etc just 'cos they feel like it, the ONLY time this is allowable is if there is a clear contractual term stating the same OR a CCJ with interest payable in place.
              As both of these are highly unlikely, the addition of charges etc is unlawful in the least and possibly illegal to boot, as per Fraud Act 2006.

Yes the dealing with DCA's link

Comment

Thank you, Curlyben. I need to write to HFO about why the amount has increased and to only contact me by letter, also, stating that I am asking for a refund of credit card charges from Barclaycard, so, therefore, its in dispute ? Is it worth telling my employer about this DCA, who may contact me at work again?

Comment

Slow down there horse.

Have they EVER shown their legal rights to collect on this debt, if not a simple Prove It goes a long way, post #4.
                  Also, as per CCA 2006, they should of been sending you annual statements of account, I bet this hasn't happened either..

There is NO reason to give DCA's chapter and verse on what you are doing, in fact the bear minimum is always best.

Comment

I thought if I had been paying for the debt then I had admitted that I owed it, which they, also, if I can remember, put in their letter, months ago. I must go and dig out that letter. No, I haven't had annual statements either, I am so angry with myself now at how naive and stupid I have been!

Comment

Don't beat yourself up over this, dealing with DCA's is an art form in itself, but you have arrived at the Artist's Hangout

Comment

I bet it is! I am learning fast! Thank you. So, its Barclaycard first to see if they sold it? Then wait for HFO to get back in touch after my debit card has been declined and ask them to prove it?

Comment

Hold fire and wait for HFO to contact you first.
                          Then fire the Prove It at them, we'll just edit it some to fit the circumstances.

As I say it's best to get the DCA out of the picture before going after the OC for charges etc.

Comment

Ok, I will do. Hoping they won't contact me at work whilst away on holiday in a couple of weeks, as I have heard from other forums they have given details of debt to other people before. still nothing much I can do about that.

Thanks again, these forums really help people like me, keep up the good work!

Comment

Actually IF they do try and contact you at work, we'll nail them up for that as well

I wonder how much more ammo they'd like to supply.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X