• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unfair terms in a mortgage agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfair terms in a mortgage agreement

I am trying to understand the interpretation of unfair terms in contracts. There is a term in my mortgage agreement which states:
    12.2. If any of the following things happen, the borrower will repay the mortgage debt immediately.
    a. The borrower fails to make one monthly payment or more when it is due.
    b. The borrower fails to pay any any other part of the mortgage debt within one month of it becoming due.
    These seem pretty disproportionate to me, having to repay the whole mortgage on a late payment, but would the law see it that way? Is it unfair, when to remortgage would take longer than a month?

Another term says:
    12.5. Once any of these events specified in condition 12.2 has occurred, the lender may do any of the following things:
    b. Sell the property using the power of sale conferred by the Law of Property Act 1925. Section 103 of the Law of Property Act 1925 imposes certain restrictions on the power of sale of a mortgagee (the lender in this case) but these restrictions do not apply to this mortgage.
    The bolded bit seems very vague and the reference to Law of Property Act is not in 'plain english'

Is this the way the law would see it?

Another one, in definitions it defines the lender as:
    Lender means Halifax plc and its successors and assigns and any person for the time being entitled to exercise the lenders powers in connection with the mortgage.
    Should there be some form of notification that BofS took over this mortgage when Halifax merged with BofS? What is a successor, in this case?
    Last edited by Animal; 23rd July 2010, 10:28:AM.
    I am not a solicitor. Please seek your own legal advice before relying on my comments in this forum!

Re: Unfair terms in a mortgage agreement

This, http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/other/undertaking_nab.pdf , and other FSA Undertakings on unfair terms in mortgage contracts may be of use to you.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: Unfair terms in a mortgage agreement

Animal

any update on this - I too have hideous terms on my mortgage contract, (which is apparently also unregulated via CCA)

I have something similar on Law of Property Act on my terms plus other horrendous terms, I have a thread on it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X