• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

child benefit and claiming jsa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• child benefit and claiming jsa

my son finished college end of june,he is 19 I immediately told child tax credits as i didn't want to be overpaid.Then i rang child benefit to let them know he was no longer in full time education,as the present job market is at a low was thinking of signing on whilst looking for work.
    I was told that legally child benefit would be paid up until the 6th of sept as that was the governments policy also i could not stop claiming it before the 6th of sept as it was the law.Anyhow my son went ahead and made a jsa claim and was declined as he was still considered in full time education until sept the 6th and i was in receipt of child benefit for him ,but not entitled to tax credits from the day he left college confused????
    so he's 19 can't sign on i get £22 benefit child a week to support him,also as he's not at college anymore or claiming jsa he's not entitled to free prescriptions or dental treatment,he has 3 scripts a month for asthma(which is not classed as an excempt medication even though it's a life long condition what a mess! i'm not well at the mo and not working myself
    this must be being experienced in households the length and breath of the uk
    anything i can do especially about the prescriptions

Re: child benefit and claiming jsa

Hi, here is the information about help with health costs it goes off your income for the houshold and as you say you are not working either I am sure you will get some help with the costs.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...alth_costs.htm

Enaid x

Comment

thank you that will help

Comment

I am going through the same thing with my daughter. It's a nightmare at the moment. She was hoping to make a late application for uni but couldn't even afford the admin fee so the place has gone. She's looking for jobs every day and applied for loads, but nothing back. Hope your son has better luck.
        D.

Comment

Hi ,

I'm In the exact same situation as you. 19yr old son finished apprentiship in june and refused JSA because CB will be payed until 6th Sept. Tax credits stopped , and now I owe them £187 because of overpayments.

I am on benefits of £67 per week . How on earth am I going to manage on £22 Child benefit and absolutely nothing else for him.

I am in a total panic about this.... surely this cannot be right

Please let me know if you have found any other help or solutions to this

Comment

My daughter still no luck on the job front. Luckily we have family living abroad(Malta) and she is going there in a few weeks as there might be work . Even if its for a few months at least its better than being stuck at home feeling miserable. It will also look good on her cv

Comment

My son with special needs is to register with the Careers Service, I emailed the Careers Wales today and they are getting someone to contact me back, but from the disability adviser.
              I understand that if my son registers with these then CB will be payable for a further 20 weeks, and the same for child tax credits (I think).

Although my son has special needs he was home educated for the last 2 and a half years and is still being educated at home now still.
              But at this current time he is deciding on either College or Skillbuild to get some experience behind him as well.

I find all this confusing as well, because my oldest son stayed on at sixth form for 2 years then went to uni, but I do know CB paid throughout the 6th form as well as tax credits, but it all stops when they go to higher/further education such as uni.

Comment

Will it depend on how old your youngest son is to still get cb and tax credits?

Comment

Hi Diane

He is a school leaver at 16.
                  ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                  And then I think it depends on what they do, if they register with the careers office, or start college for more than 12 hours a week, I am in Wales, so not sure what the criteria is for anywhere else at the moment, but am researching.

So basically if any of the above up to the age of 19 or 20, will have to double check on this though.

Also just came across this.
                  http://www.uk-tax-credits.com/child-...its.html?ref=7

And this
                  http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/...-to-report.htm
                  Last edited by di30; 15th August 2011, 14:32:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Hi Di. I tell you, this is mind boggling , who said it gets easy as kids get older:tinysmile_hmm_t2: lol

Comment

Originally posted by dianejoh View Post
                      Hi Di. I tell you, this is mind boggling , who said it gets easy as kids get older:tinysmile_hmm_t2: lol

It certainly is mind boggling , hmmmmm if only it did get easier lol

Comment

Welcome to rip off Britain where young people have no control over their own destiny. You cannot claim JSA because mummy is getting £22. What a con!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X