Thread: Sample Letters for reclaiming PPI

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Sample Letters for reclaiming PPI

TO BE UPDATED THESE ARE VERY BASIC STARTER LETTERS

For if you were forced to take PPI as a condition of your loan.

Quote Originally Posted by thisismoney
    The Complaints Department
    [Lender’s address]
    [Date]

Dear Sir/Madam,

Ref – policy number

I believe I have been mis-sold a payment protection insurance policy and would like to request a full refund of my premiums, plus interest paid.

I took out a £xxx loan/credit card at your [branch name] branch on [date] and also bought a payment protection policy which would cost me an extra £xxx over the life of the loan. [The name of the salesperson who sold me the policy is …] The total amount of my premiums plus interest is £ xxxx.

When I took out the loan, I was told that my application would be refused if I did not also buy a PPI policy. The Financial Services Authority’s advice to consumers is that, while it does not breach FSA guidelines, a borrower should not be refused a loan if they choose not to buy an insurance policy.

Possible additional paragraphs – include any which apply to you

[I also told your salesperson that I had adequate insurance cover through a separate income protection policy.]

[I said I did not need the PPI as my employer provides a generous illness and redundancy package.]

[You are not allowed to make PPI a condition of taking out the loan unless you include the costs of PPI in the quoted interest rate, which you did not do.]

[In forcing me to buy this policy, you have also breached paragraph 8.6 of the Banking Code, to which you are a signatory.]

I do not believe being forced to buy this policy as part of the loan was a fair and reasonable obligation as I did not need this insurance and said at the time of taking the loan that I did not want it.

I am requesting a full refund of all my insurance payments, plus interest, which total [£ xxx].

If I do not receive a favourable response from you I will pursue this claim through the Financial Ombudsman.

Yours faithfully,

[Your signature]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Sample Letters for reclaiming PPI

Use this letter if you were mis-sold the policy because you were self-employed, unemployed or retired.

Quote Originally Posted by thisismoney
    Dear Sir/Madam,

Ref: [Your PPI policy number]

I believe I have been mis-sold a payment protection insurance policy and would like to request a full refund of my premiums, plus interest paid.

I took out a £xxx loan/credit card at your […. Branch] on [date] and also bought a payment protection policy which would cost me an extra £xxx over the life of the loan. [The name of the salesperson who sold me the policy is ...] The total amount of my premiums plus interest is £ xxxx.

I am [self-employed/work as a contractor/unemployed/retired] and therefore will not be eligible for any payments from the PPI if I find myself unable to meet my debt repayments.

Possible additional paragraphs – include the one which applies

[Your salesperson knew this at the time of sale but did not point out to me that this would make the insurance policy useless to me.]

or

[Your salesperson did not check my personal circumstances at the time of sale, which they are under obligation to do. If they had done, they would have realised that a PPI policy was useless to me.]

Insurers are under an obligation to ensure that the policy they are selling is appropriate to that customer and clearly, as my employment situation means I am unable to claim on the policy, you have not fulfilled this requirement.

I am requesting a full refund of all my insurance payments, plus interest, which total [£ xxx].

If I do not receive a favourable response from you I will pursue this claim through the Financial Ombudsman.

Yours sincerely

[Your signature]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This letter is from the CAB website, found by Froggy

The Complaints Department
    [Lender’s address]
    [Date]

Dear Sir/Madam,

Ref: [Your PPI policy number]

I took out a £xxx loan/credit card/store card from [Insert name of company or store] on [date]. At the same time, I was sold a payment protection policy. [The name of the salesperson who sold me the policy is Insert name] The total amount of my premiums plus interest is £ xxxx.

I believe I was mis-sold the insurance policy. This is because I [choose the one which applies to you - am self-employed/work as a contractor/am unemployed/am retired/work part-time/am a temporary worker]. Therefore, under the terms of the policy, I will not be covered if I find myself unable to meet my [choose the one which applies to you - loan/credit card/store card repayments].
    Possible additional paragraphs – include the one which applies to you

[Your salesperson knew this at the time of sale but did not point out to me that I would not be covered by the policy. If they had done this, I would not have taken out the policy.]

or

[Your salesperson did not check my personal circumstances at the time of sale, or tell me which circumstances would not be covered by the policy. If they had done this, I would not have taken out the policy.]

and

[add any extra information which may help your claim]

Companies selling insurance policies must make sure that the policy they are selling is suitable for the customer's needs. The policy I was sold is quite clearly unsuitable for me because I [choose the one which applies to you - am self-employed/work as a contractor/am unemployed/am retired/work part-time/am a temporary worker].

Because I was mis-sold this policy, I wish to cancel it with immediate effect, and request a full refund of all the premiums that I've paid so far, plus interest. This comes to £xxxx.

If I don't receive a satisfactory response within 28 days, I will refer this matter to the Financial Ombudsman.

Yours Faithfully
    [Your signature]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)