Thread: Sample Letters for reclaiming PPI

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Sample Letters for reclaiming PPI

TO BE UPDATED THESE ARE VERY BASIC STARTER LETTERS

For if you were forced to take PPI as a condition of your loan.

Quote Originally Posted by thisismoney
    The Complaints Department
    [Lender’s address]
    [Date]

Dear Sir/Madam,

Ref – policy number

I believe I have been mis-sold a payment protection insurance policy and would like to request a full refund of my premiums, plus interest paid.

I took out a £xxx loan/credit card at your [branch name] branch on [date] and also bought a payment protection policy which would cost me an extra £xxx over the life of the loan. [The name of the salesperson who sold me the policy is …] The total amount of my premiums plus interest is £ xxxx.

When I took out the loan, I was told that my application would be refused if I did not also buy a PPI policy. The Financial Services Authority’s advice to consumers is that, while it does not breach FSA guidelines, a borrower should not be refused a loan if they choose not to buy an insurance policy.

Possible additional paragraphs – include any which apply to you

[I also told your salesperson that I had adequate insurance cover through a separate income protection policy.]

[I said I did not need the PPI as my employer provides a generous illness and redundancy package.]

[You are not allowed to make PPI a condition of taking out the loan unless you include the costs of PPI in the quoted interest rate, which you did not do.]

[In forcing me to buy this policy, you have also breached paragraph 8.6 of the Banking Code, to which you are a signatory.]

I do not believe being forced to buy this policy as part of the loan was a fair and reasonable obligation as I did not need this insurance and said at the time of taking the loan that I did not want it.

I am requesting a full refund of all my insurance payments, plus interest, which total [£ xxx].

If I do not receive a favourable response from you I will pursue this claim through the Financial Ombudsman.

Yours faithfully,

[Your signature]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Sample Letters for reclaiming PPI

Use this letter if you were mis-sold the policy because you were self-employed, unemployed or retired.

Quote Originally Posted by thisismoney
    Dear Sir/Madam,

Ref: [Your PPI policy number]

I believe I have been mis-sold a payment protection insurance policy and would like to request a full refund of my premiums, plus interest paid.

I took out a £xxx loan/credit card at your […. Branch] on [date] and also bought a payment protection policy which would cost me an extra £xxx over the life of the loan. [The name of the salesperson who sold me the policy is ...] The total amount of my premiums plus interest is £ xxxx.

I am [self-employed/work as a contractor/unemployed/retired] and therefore will not be eligible for any payments from the PPI if I find myself unable to meet my debt repayments.

Possible additional paragraphs – include the one which applies

[Your salesperson knew this at the time of sale but did not point out to me that this would make the insurance policy useless to me.]

or

[Your salesperson did not check my personal circumstances at the time of sale, which they are under obligation to do. If they had done, they would have realised that a PPI policy was useless to me.]

Insurers are under an obligation to ensure that the policy they are selling is appropriate to that customer and clearly, as my employment situation means I am unable to claim on the policy, you have not fulfilled this requirement.

I am requesting a full refund of all my insurance payments, plus interest, which total [£ xxx].

If I do not receive a favourable response from you I will pursue this claim through the Financial Ombudsman.

Yours sincerely

[Your signature]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

This letter is from the CAB website, found by Froggy

The Complaints Department
    [Lender’s address]
    [Date]

Dear Sir/Madam,

Ref: [Your PPI policy number]

I took out a £xxx loan/credit card/store card from [Insert name of company or store] on [date]. At the same time, I was sold a payment protection policy. [The name of the salesperson who sold me the policy is Insert name] The total amount of my premiums plus interest is £ xxxx.

I believe I was mis-sold the insurance policy. This is because I [choose the one which applies to you - am self-employed/work as a contractor/am unemployed/am retired/work part-time/am a temporary worker]. Therefore, under the terms of the policy, I will not be covered if I find myself unable to meet my [choose the one which applies to you - loan/credit card/store card repayments].
    Possible additional paragraphs – include the one which applies to you

[Your salesperson knew this at the time of sale but did not point out to me that I would not be covered by the policy. If they had done this, I would not have taken out the policy.]

or

[Your salesperson did not check my personal circumstances at the time of sale, or tell me which circumstances would not be covered by the policy. If they had done this, I would not have taken out the policy.]

and

[add any extra information which may help your claim]

Companies selling insurance policies must make sure that the policy they are selling is suitable for the customer's needs. The policy I was sold is quite clearly unsuitable for me because I [choose the one which applies to you - am self-employed/work as a contractor/am unemployed/am retired/work part-time/am a temporary worker].

Because I was mis-sold this policy, I wish to cancel it with immediate effect, and request a full refund of all the premiums that I've paid so far, plus interest. This comes to £xxxx.

If I don't receive a satisfactory response within 28 days, I will refer this matter to the Financial Ombudsman.

Yours Faithfully
    [Your signature]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)