• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Garage repairs and cars worse off!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage repairs and cars worse off!

Hi, I saw others posting about car repair issues, so just out of interest i thought id share a recent experience and see if i can claim any costs back!

I have a 1997 Astra with the isuzu engine. Last weds i noticed the waterpump leaking. Took it straight into a local garage.

Ive worked as a mechanic, and could have fixed it myself, but had no time and another car to use. I asked them to check the headgasket wasnt blown and change the water pump, do an oil change and replace a bottom ball joint.

Now, I did explain i couldnt afford to repair the headgasket if it was gone, so expected the pump to be changed and gasket tested before the other work was done. I pointed out the water looked mucky so possibly blown a gasket.

I got the car back friday all work done, drove 2 miles home and the car started smoking. it missfired the following morning and blew out steam, with clear oil and water mixing in the header tank indicating a head gasket failure.

This car had covered 23k miles problem free other than routine maintenance in the 15 months ive owned it.

I was billed £195inclusive.

When i took it back to the garage they was not interested other than ready to charge me £500+ to change the gasket, including another oil change etc, plus more if the head is damaged. They said it was ok when it left there, yet its pretty obviouse to me they did not test the gasket by simply letting the car warm up before releasing it.

I estimate about £70 of the bill would cover the replacement of the waterpump, could i ask for the rest back as I am now left to scrap the car? They did offer me £100 part ex on another car, that was 'untested, sold as seen' which of course i turned down.

I know technically i had the work done, but surely, and if i was working there it would be the case, id have checked the gasket was ok after fitting the pump, then informed the custermer before carrying out other maintenance.

Sorry for the long winded post!
    Tommy

Re: Garage repairs and cars worse off!

Did you ask for a breakdown of the bill? If you believe that the work they have done, or have not done, has contributed to the loss you now face, you should challenge them on that basis.

With regard to the issue of the part-ex that was sold "untested" and "sold as seen" this is meaningless unless it is a genuine trade sale and not purchased by you acting as a consumer. They must take responsibility for the goods and services that they provide and you are offered protection in law to ensure that they do.

Comment

Re: Garage repairs and cars worse off!

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post
      Did you ask for a breakdown of the bill? If you believe that the work they have done, or have not done, has contributed to the loss you now face, you should challenge them on that basis.
      Hi, no unfortunately the problem was more than likely there and the work he did would not have caused my loss of use, just bad practice in his workshop in my opinion. I have now hired a car long term

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X