• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bailiffs and the DVLA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bailiffs and the DVLA

Can bailiffs perform a DVLA search to help them identify any cars that might be registered to an address / person? Obviously if the debt being chased is a PCN they'll have the car reg for that and if there's a car on a drive they can identify that. But I'm not clear if they could use the DVLA to search your name and address to identify a car parked round the corner on the street or similar.

Thanks.

Re: Bailiffs and the DVLA

I am not sure either as the bailiffs came several years ago to collect a unpaid parking fine from my son and clamped my car which was on the drive with my sons car parked right next to it and he would not unclamp it till my son paid in full about £7/800. Mind you that was many years before sites like this where you could get great information and goodness knows how much money he paid was over the top.

Comment

Yes they do use DVLA to check details or rather the DVLA sell them for a fee of around £3.50.

Comment

Can they search in both directions - IE can they do a search based on my name and address, discover the make, model and reg of my car? It is not parked near the house, but it's not a million miles away - it would probably be found if someone was in the area and really looking hard. If necessary, I will park it further afield.

Comment

I believe they can, yes. Is it possible to keep the car in a locked garage?

Comment

No, there is no locked garage available. At the moment it's not an issue because the car is a recent purchase - I just checked with the DVLA this afternoon and the registration is not yet in my name. However, that could change any time in the next three weeks.

It's a built up area with lots of little roads with cars parked up and down them. It's easy enough for me to park it five minutes walk and a few streets away (which is what I am doing at the moment). I'm just wondering how hard they'll look for it should they do a DVLA search in future and find I own a vehicle? Are they in the business of spending hours hunting for cars? Or do they typically just check very much in the vicinity of the relevant residence? If they were absolutely determined to find it, I doubt it would take them longer than an hour to two to do so where it currently is.

I could park it 20 minutes walk away, of course, and reduce the odds of it being found close to zero, but I'd rather not, especially if it's not likely they'll be systematically and exhaustively searching my area.

Comment

Originally posted by bathbailiff View Post
              No, there is no locked garage available. At the moment it's not an issue because the car is a recent purchase - I just checked with the DVLA this afternoon and the registration is not yet in my name. However, that could change any time in the next three weeks.
              Did you pay for the car outright, or is there any finance?

Comment

Paid outright, so yes, fully my vehicle. At the moment, it's parked a decent distance away. If anyone suggests bailiffs typically make quite thorough searches, I will park it further afield for the time being or if really necessary at a family residence in another part of the country until the matter is resolved. That would be a distinct inconvenience, however.

Comment

What communication have you had with the bailiff so far on this?

Comment

Just a first hand delivered letter and a single telephone call where he stated a fee, I offered an alternative and neither of us accepted the other's demands. That was yesterday. No further contact from the bailiff.

I have emailed the bailiff company today to inform them that I have applied for Statutory Declaration Out of Time and I have indeed made the application to the TEC today via both hard copy in the post and a PDF via email. I also visited the Council offices today, but unfortunately they appear to be in a state of highly neurotic defensiveness on these matters and basically will not enter into any discussions.

I will be writing to my local councillor, the local government ombudsman and the chief executive of my local authority tomorrow.

Comment

Excellent, sounds like you're on top of things.

Comment

What is the general experience of people regards securing refunds? Let's say I pay up to stop further action, do people have much success getting the fraudulent charges refunded? I'm quite prepared to immerse myself in a letter writing campaign and go to a small claims court to do so. I'm also prepared to press for criminal charges - I've already lodged an initial complaint with my local station.

Put simply, I'm happy to put the legwork in and I'm articulate and well presented enough to be confident I'll do the job well and / or present well should a court appearance be part of the solution. But I'm also aware that the system may be hopelessly stacked against me.

Thoughts?

Comment

This is where you must make your own mind up because if you pay up and then fight you will get nowhere unless and until you initiate a small claim for the return of your charges.

If you do not pay what they are asking then you run the risk of them seizing your car because bailiffs can take it personally.

However, if you are prepared to put the work in and not to give up then I don't see why you won't get the result you want, it's just a matter of how you go about it and as above, that is up to you. Although we will all help you as and where we can obviously.

Comment

I am more than happy to go the small claims route if there is a decent probability of success. I'm just not clear what the probability is. Do you know of successful small claims actions in similar cases?

Comment

I don't, apart from the threads I have stickied at the top of the bailiff forum, but these were settled prior to any court case.

Although litigation should not be undertaken lightly and you should be aware that it might go against you, the bailiffs will not have a leg to stand on if they cannot justify the fees they have charged you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X