• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Packaged Account Fees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packaged Account Fees

What is a Packaged account?

You will pay a monthly fee for an account with extras attached to it from anything from £3.00 to as high as £25.00 a month.

Why should this article be of interest to me?

A recent FSA publication stated this:

“•
    Packaged accounts may offer value for money for some consumers, but they may not benefit all;
    consumers could be better off purchasing products individually or not at all. And some may find that where the add-ons are insurance products, they do not provide the expected level of cover.
    The potential for consumer detriment, although not likely to impact any individual consumer
    significantly, could occur across a large population; around 15% of UK adults have some form of
    packaged account.

Can I reclaim all the fees incurred?

In many cases the answer is no as you will have benefited from it. However, there will be cases in which the bank have failed to explain that the account may cover you for travel insurance and you may have purchased insurance unnecessarily. You may not have a car so Roadside Recovery cover is completely irrelevant to you. You need to spend a whole evening looking over what the benefits are and what you are eligible for and whether you have paid for other cover because the account was not explained properly to you or you believed you had to have the account.

What do I need to do?

You need to write to the bank alleging misselling of the account and the basis for it. You need to explain the reasons why you either benefitted partially or did not benefit at all. You should ask for evidence that the person who sold the account to you did make sure that it was the right product for you otherwise they should refund fees. Make sure you cancel the “extras” on the account because why pay for something you do not benefit from?

Successful reclaims example:

It is important that you view this thread because the person on this thread went through the account with a fine tooth comb and in a sense is the template for how you should approach the bank.

I reclaimed LTSB account FEE's and GOT THEM - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

Re: Accounts with extras: do you have a case to reclaim some of the fees?

Below are a list of packaged accounts

BARCLAYS
    First Additions

First Additions (Option A)

Additions

Additions (Option A)

Additions Plus (option A)

CO-OPERATIVE BANK
    Privilege

Privilege Premier

FIRST TRUST BANK (NI)
    Packaged Account

Bonus

HSBC
    Bank Account Plus

LLOYDS TSB
    Select Plus

Select

Gold Service Plus

Gold Service

Platinum Plus

Platinum Current

NATWEST
    Advantage Gold

Advantage Private

NORTHERN BANK (NI)
    Northern Choice Plus

ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND
    Royalties

Royalties Gold

Royalties Premier

SMILE
    Smilemore

ULSTER BANK (NI)
    ufirst Current

ufirst Gold

YORKSHIRE BANK
    C/A Plus Private Offset

Comment

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/plan/fina...tlook_2010.pdf
      Page 62 for reference but from page 57

Comment

MSE finally jumped onto the wagon with me :o

Packaged account mis-selling victims can claim compensation
        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

I want to add to this thread that it is unlikely that the WHOLE of those fees will be refunded but from evidence I have seen the likelihood is 12/24 months worth of fees.

Comment

Re: Packaged Account Fees

Hi all

I'm hoping that some of the people around here may be able to help on this. I'm after details of the packaged bank accounts that Lloyds (and Lloyds TSB) has sold. I know that in the past these have included Select, Silver, Gold, Platinum and Premier but I would like more information:

Does anybody know when Lloyds introduced packaged bank accounts?
            Does anybody have any details (such as what they offered, etc.) of these packaged accounts from when they were first introduced, etc. or after?
            Is there anywhere to obtain this information that anybody knows of (other than from Lloyds!)

Any help appreciated!
            Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Leclerc
              I want to add to this thread that it is unlikely that the WHOLE of those fees will be refunded but from evidence I have seen the likelihood is 12/24 months worth of fees.
              I was aware that you had flagged up Packaged Accounts as another mis-selling scandal some time back, Monsieur L, yet it doesn't seem to have 'hit the headlines' in the same way that PPI did. Well done for getting MSE finally interested in the scam - it does need a bit more public awareness, it seems, and MSE are good at that kinda thing, bless them.

I note your observation that banks are unlikely to offer a full refund of ALL fees - and that is of course the likelihood - but I would like to think that the FOS's pronouncement (according to Mr Anker) can be relied upon, and we can push for the whole lot.
              Originally posted by Guy Anker of MSE
              From the Ombudsman's limited experience — it only handled 100 cases last year as the issue only recently came onto the radar — it says some banks only agree to refund a year's worth of payments, but they should refund everything paid.
              If we take the FSA PPI Redress Rules as a 'template,' then we may well find ourselves looking into 'Consequential Losses' as well, where accounts have been overdrawn, and interest and penalties have been applied.

Grist to the mill, as they say.

Flysi - I can't answer your questions, but I think the history of Packaged Accounts is well worth documenting. Hopefully, M. Leclerc can give you an idea of NatWest's involvement - and I daresay the other big banks will have jumped on that gravy train at around the same time.

Comment

@Bill-K Thanks for the feedback. I am in agreement that the history of packaged accounts needs to be documented somehow. I've read that Lloyds were one of the first to introduce packaged accounts around 1997 (which would make sense - Labour entered office and the process of deregulation accelerated).

I also agree that given the Ombudsman's reported comments on the issue all fees should be repaid (if using the PPI rules as a template). One reason why I'm interested is that I had a Select account by 2001 (£4 per month, then £5 per month) and I don't know why - I didn't have driver's licence, let alone a car so breakdown cover wasn't necessary, and I didn't have a mobile phone.

Hopefully enough people in the country will have kept forms, booklets and statements etc. and may be in a position to share.

Comment

Originally posted by FlySi View Post
                  Hi all

I'm hoping that some of the people around here may be able to help on this. I'm after details of the packaged bank accounts that Lloyds (and Lloyds TSB) has sold. I know that in the past these have included Select, Silver, Gold, Platinum and Premier but I would like more information
                  Silver account was April 2007.

Does anybody know when Lloyds introduced packaged bank accounts?
                  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...mmigrants.html

I would add that they would have had a version of Premier account without a doubt before then but that would take a bit of searching for me to find that info out.

Does anybody have any details (such as what they offered, etc.) of these packaged accounts from when they were first introduced, etc. or after?
                  Is there anywhere to obtain this information that anybody knows of (other than from Lloyds!)

Any help appreciated!
                  Thanks.

See above . Who need Moneysavingexpert when you can ask someone who digs around for stuff

Comment

Basic benefits that Lloyds offered on their 'packaged' accounts were:

AA/Rac breakdown cover
                    mobile phone insurance
                    sentinel card protection
                    travel insurance

Their Platinum/Premier Accounts offer:-

Top grade AA breakdown cover
                    Full family travel insurance
                    Insuring family mobile phones (as long as they lived in the same house as you).

The above list is the most popular reason why customers were encouraged to upgrade their accounts but is not the complete list of benefits.

The range of benefits has altered in times gone eg. previously you were offered circa 5% discount on your holidays and airport lounge access which is now not available with these accounts.

When you decided to upgrade you were given a cooling off period of 30 days (in which you didn't pay for the benefits (unless you had used them already) and went through a detailed 'talk' as to why you had chosen to upgrade and why.

Yes, staff were paid commission to upgrade accounts however there was a lot of strict protocol too.

Hope this helps. I cannot see how this would fall under the 'mis selling umbrella' like PPI, but that is just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruby View Post
                      Basic benefits that Lloyds offered on their 'packaged' accounts were:

AA/Rac breakdown cover
                      mobile phone insurance
                      sentinel card protection
                      travel insurance

Their Platinum/Premier Accounts offer:-

Top grade AA breakdown cover
                      Full family travel insurance
                      Insuring family mobile phones (as long as they lived in the same house as you).

The above list is the most popular reason why customers were encouraged to upgrade their accounts but is not the complete list of benefits.

The range of benefits has altered in times gone eg. previously you were offered circa 5% discount on your holidays and airport lounge access which is now not available with these accounts.

When you decided to upgrade you were given a cooling off period of 30 days (in which you didn't pay for the benefits (unless you had used them already) and went through a detailed 'talk' as to why you had chosen to upgrade and why.

Yes, staff were paid commission to upgrade accounts however there was a lot of strict protocol too.

Hope this helps. I cannot see how this would fall under the 'mis selling umbrella' like PPI, but that is just my opinion.

Ruby, I can, if the total "benefit" to you is simply sold under the one single benefit then it is missold and not fit for purpose. Basic roadside coverage can cost from as little as £30 so the overall cost sold to me was that it benefitted me by over £70 yet I am short £40.00 and I might have paid for holiday insurance despite already being covered because no one told me about the benefit.

I would not get me started on the paperwork side of things either. "please sign here sir"(and then fill in the savings after the customer has left.

Currently, yes, they have controls in place such as something called Clawback which means the benefit of the sale is taken back if the account is changed before the 3 month period but then you have the retention team over the phone that may well offer "free" packaged accounts for 2 months if you keep them. Before you ask yep i definitely do know about the above things happening.

Comment

To remind you what link 3 pointed to you way back when I started this thread:

"Packaged accounts may offer value for money for some consumers, but they may not benefit all;
                        consumers could be better off purchasing products individually or not at all. And some may find
                        that where the add-ons are insurance products, they do not provide the expected level of cover.
                        The potential for consumer detriment, although not likely to impact any individual consumer
                        significantly, could occur across a large population; around 15% of UK adults have some form of
                        packaged account."

Comment

When we changed to Nat West they tried to sell us a packaged account, and in fact for three months it was, I went into branch twice to discuss it and went through the so called benifits. Travel insurance, cannot afford holidays!
                          Mobile Phone insurance only have a small "dumb" phone! Breakdown insurance, already included on a basic level with our car insurance think the other was something to do with films. They eventually refunded the fees but its not stopped them trying to sell us a packaged account on a regular basis
                          Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

Staff are pressured by management to sell these accounts and are given a target to reach on a daily and monthly basis. It is up to the intelligent public to say yes or no when we are offered these 'upgrades'. For some these accounts will be cost effective and for others not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruby View Post
                              Staff are pressured by management to sell these accounts and are given a target to reach on a daily and monthly basis. It is up to the intelligent public to say yes or no when we are offered these 'upgrades'. For some these accounts will be cost effective and for others not.
                              And when I worked for the bank, it was cost effective because I paid £0.00 as a result of it being part of the benefits package.

Have a look at the benefits of staff banking(this one is RBS Group ).

http://www.rbsyourbank.com/home.ashx

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X