• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advent/Barclays partner Finance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advent/Barclays partner Finance

Hi everyone

I've just joined and am currently in dispute with Barclays Partner Finance, with whom I had a linked loan to pay for a course with Advent Compter Training, a distance learning company who went bust in Jan this year.

My complaints to BPF to refund my fees (my loan was paid off in Dec 2009) are falling on deaf ears, despite citing the Consumer Credit Act S75 for Breach of Contract numerous times. They are in denial that they are doing anything wrong, and insist they are fulfilling our contracts by having now 'sold us on' to the dreadful Computeach, which the vast majority of us do not want under any circumstance! The contract I signed with Advent is not like-for-like with what Computeach offer, besides which there was a clear 2 months gap where no training provider was in place at all. A clear breach so far as I understand, despite Barclays blatant refusal to refund us or address any of the issues we raise.

For the record, Computeach has been hauled up by Dudley Trading Standards, and the Financial Ombudsman (both of whom are currently pursuing my complaint). CT own current students are taking legal action against them for poor service provision too! This has all become a horrible nightmare.

I've had an offer from a large claimants law firm to represent the disgruntled ex-students as a class/representative law suit. It will be similar to no win no fee in that they gather their costs on winning from Barclays, not the group, and if they lose their loss is covered by insurers.

I am new to all this and would welcome any feedback please? Anyone here in this same situation perhaps?

Re: Advent/Barclays partner Finance Scam

I presume this is you The Consumer Forums - View Single Post - Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)Info and discussion thread ? Who are the lawyers you are considering using to run the rep action ?

It does sound as though the FOS are making headway in cases

Originally posted by http://hubpages.com/hub/BarclayParterFinance
    Therefore, to ensure fair play to all, others who wish claim their rights should contact the Adjudicator of the Financial Ombudsman Service, who has already instigated full refunds for both Advent and Access students. The name of the Financial Ombudsman Adjudicator is Mr. Johan Grefstad. His email address is johan.grefstad@financial-ombudsman.org.uk or write to Financial Ombudsman Service, South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, London E14 9SR. Telephone 0207 0935 968 or fax 0207 0935 969.
    Just for info/interest: Birmingham Post - Business - Business News - Latest Business News - Computeach buys Advent Computer Training assets

Theres also this notice from 31st March from the administrators of Advent - http://www.pkf.co.uk/web/pkf.nsf/afb7e018aedc6fd88025725e0051f241/54a4a9bf581fa01a802576f8003ab42a/$FILE/Student%20FAQs%20-%20Sale%20of%20Advent%20to%20Computeach.PDF

Main page PKF -
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Amethyst

Thanks for the welcome. If you feel this should be under the banks/Barclays section please feel free to move it.

Yes, that's me on the Consumer Action Group - I'm Fuzzbutt on there too - I only just chanced across this forum this morning so thought I'd join and hope what we're doing will help anyone here in the same situation.

I'm not at liberty to name the law firm at the mo (their request) as they want to stay one step ahead of Barclays Partner Finance while firming up the case, but I can say the are a major hitter with a track record of successful class action cases in the States.

If there are any Advent/BPF students in this mess who want to join us, I urge you please do.

I have a complaint in with the FOS myself at the moment but it's early days yet. I've heard they can take months to resolve cases and aren't always very 'pro-active'.
      ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
      Thanks for the hub pages link - I'll look into that as this is news to me.
      Last edited by Fuzzbutt; 10th April 2010, 17:20:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

[QUOTE=Fuzzbutt;155789]Hi Amethyst

Thanks for the welcome. If you feel this should be under the banks/Barclays section please feel free to move it.

Yes, that's me on the Consumer Action Group - I'm Fuzzbutt on there too - I only just chanced across this forum this morning so thought I'd join and hope what we're doing will help anyone here in the same situation.

I'm not at liberty to name the law firm at the mo (their request) as they want to stay one step ahead of Barclays Partner Finance while firming up the case, but I can say the are a major hitter with a track record of successful class action cases in the States.

If there are any Advent/BPF students in this mess who want to join us, I urge you please do.

hi i am an advent student. now i have come to the end of the payment brake barclays are on the phone every day telling me that i have an outstanding debt and i keep telling them i have sent them a letter to put my account into dispute but they dont seem to listen to me, they are quite nasty down the phone almost bullying you into paying.

i have told them that they havent supplied me with an true alternative coarse that is up to advents standards. it just seems to go straight over there heads

i am going to ring the financial obudsman when i get a chance to see if i have a leg to stand on with not paying back the 7000 pounds that they seemed to have ripped me off for.

if any one has any other helpful advice for me to follow it would be much appreciated

Comment

Dear Fuzzbutt
          I too am having problems with Barclays Partner Finance. I stand as guarantor for my Grandson who signed up for an Advent IT course. Since last August he has had no contact with Advent and in January 2010 BPF "froze" the account as they were actively seeking another supplier. I have now been told that this is Computeach who I have contacted but they have not responded. BPF are now insisting that payments are restarted with immediate effect and any arrears paid.
          I would like to join you in any legal action that are considering.
          Best
          Gladiator
          Last edited by Gladiator; 1st June 2010, 11:48:AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

hi
            i also have the same problem with BPF so how we can get to gather and fight back ....to take our money back

Comment

HI
              I have very similar problem like rest of you. I was(am) student of Advent , when Advent stoped provider my IT course at January i have tried to take my money back , BPF told me that I have to wait to new provider. Nowadays new provider (Computeach) have offered me continuation course but I do not belive him and I just have lost trust for any IT providers and I told them I want to cancel my course and money back.They said a have to talikng with BPF about stoping payment for course and money back. One month ago(I stoped pay for BPF form my acconut via direct debit ; now BPF send me notice about fail repayment(I have paid them 6 ratesof my Consumer Credit) ;and when I call to BPF they try coax me to continuation course with new provider , I do not understand why somebody compel me to continuation course but nobody do not want to give my money back.Now BPF snd me to Computeach and Computeach send me to BPF. I would be very happy to join You and together start fight.

Comment

Hi I have just noticed your posting. I too am in dispute with BPF as they are insisting I carry on paying for the course. They deny they are in breach of any contract and are getting quite nasty.
                I cant seem to find any action commitee or similar bunch who have a similar problem as I too would be happy to join a class action.
                mike

Comment

I have set up a group representative action with law firm Hausfeld LLP & Co.
                  Anyone wanting to join (it's free as it's a no win no fee arrangement) please contact fuzzbutt1962@hotmail.com.

Comment

Brilliant If you can write a little summary on the case, and probably contact to Hausfelds ? I could put a notice on homepage for you ? As you know we know Hausfelds quite well, they are very good people.

Best of luck with this.
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: Advent/Barclays partner Finance

Hello, I have been fighting BPF for three months now and causing me alot of stress. I am the guarantor for my son who was in the Advent course and financed the £4950 and not happy to go with horrendous Computeach, and also have quoted the S75 consumer rights act information to them and their final decision letter said "too bad" you owe us. I am buying a home and need good credit, so this week am forced to start paying them monthly again and hoping that the adjudicator at the ombudsman and the solicitor taking forward can get some of my money back. very depressing for me and son, and cant believe Neil Radley and his lot at Barclays are so ruthless to so many!!!! I was wondering if anyone else has had credit issues related to this situation, and how they handled them?

Comment

Hello all,

I've just joined Legal Beagles and is in the same dispute as you all with Barclays Partner Finance.

I signed up with Advent late last year, and they went into liquidation within the first six weeks of signing up.

I have spent this entire year trying to get the agreement cancelled, I have phoned Barclays dozens of time and yes - the calls fall on deaf ears, they go into "stupid mode" and insist they're in the right as they're supposedly fulfilling their contract by supplying us with Computeach - absolute rubbish!

This is like signing up to buy a Ford Focus and getting lumbered with a Skoda! They are not fulfilling their contract at all, they're just being b**tards and doing all they can to rob money from us and using Computeach to cover their tracks as I'm having £165.28 taking out of my account each month and could be facing redundancy - are BPF going to care?!

I have had countless dealings with Financial Ombudsman - and they actually managed to get me a small refund from BPF; they were taking payments out of my current account when they said they'd freeze it earlier this year during March and April - going back on their word. I reported this to FO, and they managed to get me a refund for those two months plus £100 compensation.

However, I have started a second complaint with FO as I'm still not happy the contract hasn't yet been cancelled and BPF are still getting away with murder. I've even reported it to my local MP as well as FO who is currently looking into the matter. May even write to Watchdog and London Tonight - get this broadcasted.

I'm not giving up until my contract is finally cancelled, this is most unfair to us students and we shouldn't have to suffer financially for a matter that is totally out of our hands!

Will welcome feedback and support from those of you who are affected by this too.

Will keep you all posted with new updates.

Regards, Riccardo2000

Comment

Hey i'm in the same exact position with barclays and advent training, i was hoping you could give me some direction on what to do..

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzbutt View Post
                            Hi everyone

I've just joined and am currently in dispute with Barclays Partner Finance, with whom I had a linked loan to pay for a course with Advent Compter Training, a distance learning company who went bust in Jan this year.

My complaints to BPF to refund my fees (my loan was paid off in Dec 2009) are falling on deaf ears, despite citing the Consumer Credit Act S75 for Breach of Contract numerous times. They are in denial that they are doing anything wrong, and insist they are fulfilling our contracts by having now 'sold us on' to the dreadful Computeach, which the vast majority of us do not want under any circumstance! The contract I signed with Advent is not like-for-like with what Computeach offer, besides which there was a clear 2 months gap where no training provider was in place at all. A clear breach so far as I understand, despite Barclays blatant refusal to refund us or address any of the issues we raise.

For the record, Computeach has been hauled up by Dudley Trading Standards, and the Financial Ombudsman (both of whom are currently pursuing my complaint). CT own current students are taking legal action against them for poor service provision too! This has all become a horrible nightmare.

I've had an offer from a large claimants law firm to represent the disgruntled ex-students as a class/representative law suit. It will be similar to no win no fee in that they gather their costs on winning from Barclays, not the group, and if they lose their loss is covered by insurers.

I am new to all this and would welcome any feedback please? Anyone here in this same situation perhaps?
                            were having the same sort of problem i signed (as a referance) (because they needed someone that worked to sign the paper work) for my friends son but later got told that i signed as garantor. The payments were to be paid out of my friends bank account when we found out they went bust we cancelled the dd's and cancelled the agreement over the phone we are now getting letters every week at least once. my friend as been to the law center and they said she asn't got a case because my name is on the letters and i've got to sort it all out computer tech never got intouch with an alturnate course any ideas what we can do

Comment

Although i have informed BPF that i have referred my dispute with them over Advent consulting ltd to the financial Ombudsman, they have gone ahead and given me a bad debt score on my credit rating with Experian without seeing what the outcome will be from the adjudicator, surely they can not be allowed to do this as it sabotages ones credit scoring, to be honest i dont think they care and it just shows what a nasty bunch they are, i am still waiting for the decission from the Omdudsman if it goes in my favour i will want complete reimbursement from Barclays for the monies that i have paid to them over this whole sorry affair

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X