• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Totally gobsmacked and at a loss for words!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totally gobsmacked and at a loss for words!

We had a loan with Firstplus and then sold our residence in mid February 2006. After the original mortgage was paid, Firsplus were paid but there was a shortfall of £5773.64 . Firstplus used Rule 78 to calculate the settlement figure and also charged me an administration fee of £150 at the time.
    Since July 2006 every single month without fail we have been paying an average of £67 each month. On Monday this week I contacted Firstplus and asked for a settlement figure.
    This arrived today and guess what Firstplus have to say. We still owe them £5689.97 although we have paid them close to £3600 over the past 4 and a half years they are saying that in effect we have only redcued the balance by £83! In addition if we were to settle now they want another £150 administration fee. My wife is in tears.
    Although all previous correspondence and the statement that came with a SAR request states that the balance was £5773.64 they have come up with a figure of £7393 exactly spot on but where they obtained this figure I have no idea.
    I am totally gobsmacked and speechless as I feel this is a total and unjustified rip off. Any ideas as I feel the only way to nail them is under UTCC regulations as unfair relationship regarding Rule 78 etc but will need more than that to really nail them.

Re: Totally gobsmacked and at a loss for words!

When did you take out the loan, since the Rule of 78 has been abolished and was some time ago?

Comment

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post
      When did you take out the loan, since the Rule of 78 has been abolished and was some time ago?
      We took it out in Nov 2004 and sold the residence on 20th February 2006. It is my belief that Rule 78 applied to regulated loans and not unregulated however S5 of the UTCCR may allow thsi to be challenged.

Comment

There's info, posted by Ed. about Rule of 78 on your other thread Surfer.
        Is no longer here

Comment

Originally posted by WendyB View Post
          There's info, posted by Ed. about Rule of 78 on your other thread Surfer.
          I am not sure which thread you mean as I have posted a few.

Comment

[quote=Surfer;151847]I am not sure which thread you mean as I have posted a few.[/quote

This one Firstplus Rule 78 Calculations. Whcih bears a remarkable resemblance to this thread. If they are both about the same loan can you pm Team and get the two threads merged.
            Is no longer here

Comment

Good idea. I will ask Cetelco if I have gort that right.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X