• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PPI Deal or No Deal. Help Required!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPI Deal or No Deal. Help Required!!

Hi Everyone,

Following the templates from the forum I am helping my friend persue PPI claims with Barclays Bank.The current Loan taken with PPI was for £20000 over 7 years, ending in Feb 2013,she would be aged 67 when the loan is complete. See attachments for agreement details.

They sent the following letter via Financial Ombudsmen Service on 20.01.2010.
    (Quote)
    In line with the Financial Ombudsman Service 's recommendations,we will arrange to place you in a positionwhich is broadly the same or better than you would have been in had you taken your loan without PPI.
    I should explain that the latter does mean that we will need to draw up a new loan agreement for the revised loan amount. I will now detail how we intend to meet the recommendation:

Refund of Your Payments

Your Original loan was for £25814.03 which includes the PPI £5814.03 and your total monthly loan payment was £435.58.Had you not taken the PPI with your loan,monthly payments would have been £337.48,this means you will have overpaid £98.10 in PPI payments per month,for a period of 47 months.We will refund to you have over paid,amounting to £4610.70 ,plus 8% interest on this overpayment of £737.71.

I believe this figure to be in correct the first payment was in Feb 2006 it is now nearly Feb 2010.Any help on the maths are the calculations by Barclays correct ?

Restructuring of Your Loan

Your current balance is £13764.09,wth 47 payments remaining,but if you had not taken PPI,your current loan balance would be £10671.87.
    My calcaulation is 12months x7years = 84 months less 41 months paid = 43.
    From Jan 2006 to Jan 2010= 48 months ?

Unfortunately ,we are unable to follow precise direction of the recommended settlement due to current restraints preventing us from matching the exact remaining amount of term of yoour existing loan.
    I believe they are now aware of the mis-selling of the original loan when the customer would be 67 when the loan is re paid.I have sent a SAR to Barclays and all agreements they sent as true copies were un signed by 1. Customer 2. Bank. My friend has the copy given to her the day she signed only has banks signature ....her signature is not on the document.

So I truly need advice on how to proceed to ensure that this is not a repeat of mis selling a loan.

To achieve this, we will cancel the PPI and provide a replacement loan for £10600 at the same interest rate as your existing loan of 10.9%APR, but over a remaining period of 30 months instead of 37 months. While the new monthly payment of approximately £403.00 is slightly higher compared to the monthly payment you would be paying had you not taken PPI with your original loan,the overall cost of your loan will be lower than would have been the case if you had taken it without PPI originally. This is because of the shorter term at the same interest rate.

I trust his information is to your satisfaction and I lookforward to receiving your signed loan agreement.

Sorry I do go on in this post though the devil is in the detail. My friend is 64 next month and I really believed that I could clear this cloud to help her to get back to living.

Many thanks for listening.

Geo

:car:Barclays

Re: PPI Deal or No Deal. Help Required!!

If you agree with the calculation of the PPI at 47 months, then there must be the same payments made on the loan, surely. Therefore 84 months - 47 months =37 months left, originally. Don't forget that first payment can be up to a month later than the date the loan was signed, thats why it could be 47 paid rather than 48.

If your friend is in line to receive over 5k back as refunded PPI could she not use this to reduce the balance outstanding, thus reducing the new loan and consequently the payments?
    Is no longer here

Comment

Re: PPI Deal or No Deal. Help Required!!

Wendy B

Thank you for your reply and she has got a new structured loan from Barclays with a refund of PPI. I would like anyone on the forum to check the figures that Barclays calculated in case there are any surprises.Her current account statement shows the first payment for the loan was 16.02.2006.So that is a extra payment ...........

Geo

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X