• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

H&S in workplace/duty of care

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H&S in workplace/duty of care

Hello, getting together some urgent information on behalf of a friend, so any help that people can give would save me time. Friend works in retail for a large national company. She was recently sexually assaulted by a colleague who is based at another branch. Their paths often cross in her workplace including on his day off. The assault has been reported to the police and her employer informed. I have a number of concerns over the handling of the whole business, priority for now being employer's callous lack of care. Due to confusion, she believed herself to be on a day off when she went to the police station. Employer is requiring her make up the time, threatening disciplinary action due to her being minutes late and this in a week when she has been traumatised by the behaviour of a colleague. I am not aware of any steps taken by management to keep him from her workplace. As far as I can see, there is a complete dereliction of care on the side of the employer. I'm phoning her union with her on Monday but want to be prepared so I know what I'm talking about. Don't know what her union is like but if its anything like my experience of my own union, Napo, well, don't get me started. Can anyone working in HR tell me what relevant policies and procedures should I be looking for. Many thanks. zeitgit

Re: H&S in workplace/duty of care

Hi zeitgit,

I'm not an expert, but for what it is worth I suggest you become familiar with ACAS guidance, especially re mediation & advisory handbooks re discipline/grievance procedures.

Also, try to get everything in writing & keep a detailed contemporaneous diary (right down to the colour of everyone's socks lol)

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1670
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Did the assault happen during work, if so, were they both at work that day or was it the alleged perpetrator's day off?

Comment

They were both on a day off at the time.

Comment

You need to look at your contract of employment and also if your company has any policies on discipline and conduct in most cases breaching these should be considered gross misconduct by the employer even if you are both off duty.
          It sounds like detrimental treatment, first you need to submit a grievance and if your company has an harassment policy submit one as well

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X